Metal shavings found in fuel system - Ford will not warranty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal shavings found in fuel system - Ford will not warranty

The vehicle in question is a 2012 F350 with 71,000km. While on a 600km journey the dash popped up the "reduced engine power" on the dash and shortly thereafter died on the side of the highway. It had to be towed to the nearest Ford dealership. It was last fueled up 80km before it had died

Ford performed their diagnosis and then informed me that a very large quantity of fine metal shavings had been discovered in the fuel filter, lines, bowls, pump, and rail. They also stated they would not be warranting this repair. The total estimated repair bill has come in at over $10,000 to replace all the lines, pumps, etc.!

I have included pictures of the metal shavings. Can anybody provide a plausible explanation as to where these shavings are from? Also how do these get past the fuel filter? I have read other posts of similar issues and if this is a failure of a Ford part then I would like to have that discussion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

You'll get better answers from someone else but I'd guess that is all from the high pressure fuel pump.

Ford will likely claim there was water in the fuel. A poor answer in my opinion.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:18 PM

search the internet for hpfp failure. The high pressure fuel pump self destructs sending the metal shavings through the entire fuel system. If it was caused by fuel contamination, then ford is correct in not warranting the repair. However, there are specific tests for that, including testing for water/rust, or accidental contamination with DEF, etc. Fuel contamination can be covered on your comprehensive auto insurance, no differently than vandalism in a lot of cases.

If ford has already told you they wont cover under warranty, then they either found water or def in the tank, or signs of it in the fuel system.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looking at the last picture, the part they took out is full of rust which means fuel contamination (water/moisture in fuel). Whether a tank of water or the big discussion on here and other forums on water in the fuel that is basically blended in with the fuel therefore not triggering the WIF light.

As stated by djousma, the High Pressure Fuel Pump is AFTER the primary filter so if it grenades after the filter, some of the access fuel not used gets rerouted back to the tank and will be caught by the primary filter however it is already too late because it as already done a full loop.

The 2nd picture is hard to tell what it would look like since it is still wet from fuel. If it is dried off, my guess is that has rust on it as well.

As I stated in a separate thread, everything you need comes in a kit from Ford. Ford simplified the ordering process for fuel contamination for the dealers. The kit can be had for about $3,700 online from the discount FORD dealers and the book lists the repair at about 17 hours. You should be looking at a $5,500 repair if you bring them the parts. What they are doing is charging you for the parts SEPARATELY instead of passing the savings on to you and charging you for the kit.

Here is the kit: EC3Z-9B246-A $3,084.15 (plus core charges that you would get back).
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...r=EC3Z-9B246-A

You also need the frame mounted fuel pump and the fuel filter kit.

I believe this is the pump that is needed but you would want to verify BC3Z9A543A $905.18
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...injection-pump

The filter you can get at your dealer or from an online dealer at a discount.

Regardless, taking the filter out of the equation, $3,989 for the parts needed plus labor. This is 10% above cost so true cost to dealer is about $3,590.

I remember reading from someone going through this that they took the kit part number to their dealer and they flat out told them that they will order the kit but still going to charge him for the parts individually. Considering cost is $3,600 and labor is $1,900, they are looking at $5,500. Anything above that is pure profit. I understand dealers need to make a profit on service BUT $5,000 on a day and a half job is ridiculous.

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 3.55s Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2.

Last edited by blwnsmoke; 01-13-2015 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
blwnsmoke, very impressive with costs and PN's. Thanks for posting that up.

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM

There is a kit on eBay right now for 2600 and no core charges.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
There is a kit on eBay right now for 2600 and no core charges.
Frankly I have no idea how they are doing that. Ford charges the dealer Core charges.. how they are doing it I don't know. Only thing I could think of is that they require a CC # to charge if not returned by a certain time frame but even that is not listed on the auction.

Fantastic price!!

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 3.55s Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Looking at the last picture, the part they took out is full of rust which means fuel contamination (water/moisture in fuel). Whether a tank of water or the big discussion on here and other forums on water in the fuel that is basically blended in with the fuel therefore not triggering the WIF light.

As stated by djousma, the High Pressure Fuel Pump is AFTER the primary filter so if it grenades after the filter, some of the access fuel not used gets rerouted back to the tank and will be caught by the primary filter however it is already too late because it as already done a full loop.

The 2nd picture is hard to tell what it would look like since it is still wet from fuel. If it is dried off, my guess is that has rust on it as well.

As I stated in a separate thread, everything you need comes in a kit from Ford. Ford simplified the ordering process for fuel contamination for the dealers. The kit can be had for about $3,700 online from the discount FORD dealers and the book lists the repair at about 17 hours. You should be looking at a $5,500 repair if you bring them the parts. What they are doing is charging you for the parts SEPARATELY instead of passing the savings on to you and charging you for the kit.

Here is the kit: EC3Z-9B246-A $3,084.15 (plus core charges that you would get back).
KIT | Genuine Ford | EC3Z-9B246-A

You also need the frame mounted fuel pump and the fuel filter kit.

I believe this is the pump that is needed but you would want to verify BC3Z9A543A $905.18
INJECTION PUMP for 2014 Ford F-350 Super Duty|BC3Z-9A543-A

The filter you can get at your dealer or from an online dealer at a discount.

Regardless, taking the filter out of the equation, $3,989 for the parts needed plus labor. This is 10% above cost so true cost to dealer is about $3,590.

I remember reading from someone going through this that they took the kit part number to their dealer and they flat out told them that they will order the kit but still going to charge him for the parts individually. Considering cost is $3,600 and labor is $1,900, they are looking at $5,500. Anything above that is pure profit. I understand dealers need to make a profit on service BUT $5,000 on a day and a half job is ridiculous.
Thanks for posting that information! I hadn't seen it before and it is expensive but a much better option than $10-12k. I'm glad Ford at least stepped up and put the kit together.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Unhappy 2017 issue

The high-pressure fuel pump on my 2017 F3 50 super duty with a 6.7 L diesel failed at 753 miles. Metal flakes throughout the fuel system with little or no signs of water. Ford is repairing under warranty but I have a suspicion this failure is more common then they are letting on.

Last edited by RDG; 07-05-2017 at 10:06 PM.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Yes, the last picture of the pressure regulator shows rust forming on the steel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Not that it matters at this point, but how often did you drain and check the primary filter for water? Did you use any fuel additive like Stanadyne or similar? You situation definitely sucks, but there was water in the system at some point.

2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 AM

My Photos: (2)
Guys, ananeoo has pulled a 2+ year old thread back from the dead and added his situation to it. Those pics etc are from the earlier poster 2 years ago. His truck is a 2017 has only 753 miles on it.

ananeoo, you might get better results if you start a fresh thread on this and post it in the 2017 area.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 PM

Same deal with my brand new '17 with less than 1,000 miles on it.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Get fuel from the same station if you can, keep receipts , get a locking fuel cap, now if this issue happens to someone and ford says water in fuel, my question has always been, where did the water come from??? and how come the water in fuel light NEVER Lit UP??? this did happen to me and before the dealer opened my system i explained that i have always had a locking fuel cap, and get all my fuel at the same station, Dealer called me the next mourning and said its covered under warranty and did the repair. this was on the 2011 at 4.8 years old and 70K miles

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STMPDUST View Post
Get fuel from the same station if you can, keep receipts , get a locking fuel cap, now if this issue happens to someone and ford says water in fuel, my question has always been, where did the water come from??? and how come the water in fuel light NEVER Lit UP??? this did happen to me and before the dealer opened my system i explained that i have always had a locking fuel cap, and get all my fuel at the same station, Dealer called me the next mourning and said its covered under warranty and did the repair. this was on the 2011 at 4.8 years old and 70K miles
The water comes from the fuel and I have read where a station may have water in its tanks one time and not at another time, so it can be hit or miss. As to why the light never lit indicating water in the fuel, the answer is simple--an ultra-cheesy design from Ford. The "detector" is nothing more than two metal prongs that have current passing through them and when covered in water, the circuit is completed and the light illuminates. The problem is the prongs are too high, thereby allowing too much water to collect before the warning is given and water enters the fuel system. The photo below is from my 2015 and you can see about 1" of water would be needed to set off the alarm, but at that point water is already being pulled into the system. I drain my filter about 2x per month and use Stanadyne to help. You can see a drop of water at the 6 o'clock position in the photo and I use only high volume, brand name stations to buy my fuel.

2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed

Last edited by 2015_PSD; 07-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in