Metal shavings found in fuel system - Ford will not warranty - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 2016 F350 had metal shavings in the fuel system at 30K. Dealer replaced entire fuel system under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM

Ford_Docctor, thank you for taking the time to reply, and I appreciate your suggestions tremendously. I found an interesting read for anyone that is contemplating steel vs HDPE (polyethylene) fuel tanks. Not able to post a URL so if you google Steel vs. Plastics: The Competition for Light-Vehicle Fuel Tanks
Peter J. Alvarado it pulls up rather easily.

Again thanks Ford Doc as the Titan rings in at a significantly lower price at 1k vs $2238.53

In case others run into this scenario here is a rundown of the major costs the dealer is quoting
on a non warranty insurance submission:

FUEL SYSTEM LABOR $5423.25 based on 35 Hours of Labor
FUEL SYSTEM KIT $4537.06 seems high based on other comments (core 1500)
PUMP ASSEMBLY FUEL $678.36
FUEL FILTER ELEMENT $ 107.27
SENDER ASSEMBLY $464.98
NEW FUEL TANK $2238.53 (may need core charge)

I asked the dealership about the low pressure and they have replied "....Ford parts that you purchase have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on them. I did talk to the tech he said the low pressure fuel pump will be replaced and the lines would be flushed out.
The diesel engine warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles."

Would anyone have any thoughts about the low pressure lines should be replaced or just a flush out is normal procedure. Sounds to me that if there was fuel contamination and rust then it would effect the low pressure lines ?

Again I appreciate everyone chiming in....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MODIFIED PRICE FOR 2014 ALTEC.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	125730  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf MODIFIED PRICE FOR 2014 ALTEC.pdf (107.8 KB, 28 views)
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM

found this Auto Nation

Kit - Ford (EC3Z-9B246-A)
List Price: $4,537.06
You Save: $1,043.53 (23% off)
Sale Price: $3,493.53
Core Charge: $1,500.00

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Is there a way to determine if the fuel system is getting metal shavings without a failure-initiated tear down?
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-a...ilure-lawsuit/

Admin: Feel free to move this or create a sticky if you deem it useful as such.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

The CP4 is not a forgiving HPP like its processor (CP3) the 4 can last I've seen them reach 504K miles and fail at 10K miles. The 504K miles Pump was tired and just about to fail by normal wear, This owner install the Auxiliary Bypass filtration exactly as I instructed him to do.. No the so-called Diesel site system will filter better but by its design will allow X % of contaminate to reach Pump and Injectors..

I don't like the CP4 either , But I'm placing the blame were it belongs (FCA,FORD,GM) the bean counters wanted to lower costs So BOSCH develop the cast Pump CP4. All three makers did not considers the facts in Diesel fuel handling and storage, They crunch the $#s its not our fault if owners purchased contaminate Fuel.

Its all around ugly, why should makers be at fault at pumping bad fuel, Why should it be Bosch fault for the same reason.

If you want 100% guarantee that if in the unlikely event you purchase contaminate Fuel the THE only way to stop 100% of that contamination is Auxiliary filtration with some time of water absorption, ( NOT separation) these types of systems are not legal to install as direct filtration, The GOV does not want filters that curtail 100% blockage if contamination reach them, thus that's why it has to be Auxiliary.
On Edit: longer to lower costs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013 Dual Fuel_Filter (1).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	125782  

Name:	2013 Dual Fuel_Filter (3).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	125784  

Name:	2013 Dual Fuel_Filter (4).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	125786  

Name:	Ram 13 Zinga filter.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	125790  

Attached Images

Last edited by twdiesel; 10-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.
post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Responsibility?

I worked for an OEM of Engineered products most of my life before retirement. I can tell you who is responsible, the manufacturer. Regardless, the OEM responsible. There really is no difference in a condition that causes failure and personal injury and a safe to people but bad for machines condition from an Engineered responsibility standpoint

Were this a condition that produced fire or other failure like Fords other recalls, for instance brake pressure switches, no one would ask who is responsible. The OEM is responsible that the products it produces be fit for purpose. This equipment has filtration and warning systems both inadequate for purpose and reasonable use. A reasonable use expectation would be adequate water in fuel warning.

Ford will, like most corps, try to protect their bottom line. Sometimes that is what drives dedicated brand users to other equipment. The really smart ones turn an industry problem solution into a sell feature.
ford_doctor and twdiesel like this.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:33 PM

I have my 2015 F250 with 26,000 miles on it at Ford right now getting the fuel system replaced due to the failure of the high pressure fuel pump. The symptoms were a strange whining sound, than a reduced power indication, followed by a service engine light. Fortunately they are doing it under warranty but told me before they tore it apart that if they found any water in the fuel (or DEF fluid) or corrosion that it would not be covered under warranty. Fortunately they found none of the above. They did claim however that it could have been caused by bad fuel but had no way to prove it. They found metal shavings throughout the fuel system. I also asked them if failure of the high pressure fuel pump was common, and they said no. However, after viewing this forum, it is obvious that they are not being honest. My dilemma is loss of confidence in the 6.7, I wish I had my 7.3 Powerstroke back. I am seriously considering selling this vehicle and buying a Dodge Cummins, even though I have owned Ford trucks my entire life. I do have a locking fuel cap, drain the fuel/water seperator every 1000 miles, try to fill at stations that sell a lot of fuel and are top tier stations, and also use Stanadyne additive at every fill. I just pulled my fifth wheel to Arizona, and fortunately the engine didn't fail until I got here. Considering the cost of these new super duties, I should not have to be contemplating a new RAM instead! Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the 6.7s being sold have had issues, perhaps a Ford mechanic that is on this forum? Is anyone aware of issues with the RAM Cummins as well? Any feedback is appreciated.

2015 Ford F250 4x4 6.7 Liter, Crew Cab, Short Box Platinum with DEMCO AutoSlider 5th. Wheel Hitch.
Other toys: '03 50th. Anniversary Corvette, 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 5th. Wheel, 72 Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop, and a 2656 International tractor.
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:56 PM

My Photos: (6)
Less than 1% of 6.7L trucks have the issues as you described. Ram trucks are far worse.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM

You have to remember that these forums magnify a problem or perceived problem. You have maybe 1000 owners of the 6.7l that visit this forum (probably it is less than 200 now days) and these 1000 owners are on other forums also but with a different name. Of these 1000 owners on a single forum, you might have 5 or 10 owners that have had the HPFP fail. That is still less than 1% of the forum members.

Then you add up the number of 6.7l engines/trucks that have been sold by Ford in the F250 through the F650 in both the pickups and chassis cab models and come up with millions of 6.7l in service with no problems. You will find that the HPFP failure is minuscule compared to what the forums seem to make the problem appear to be. You are probably in the 0.001% to even a high of 0.01% of the 6.7l in service or produced.

From my readings of other forums, the Duramax has more problems with the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP than Ford.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM

When I had problems with my 6.7L in July '17, I began checking other brands, and realized that nearly everyone of them had HPFP problems. The best I recall GM was worse than Ford, but I don't remember about the Dodge. On a side note, now that you got your fuel taken care of, keep a very close eye on your oil for metal. My problem ended up not being fuel problems but was bearing (spun bearings on crank shaft). Locally including myself, there are at least 3 trucks that had the spun bearing problem. These ranged from 2011 to 2016 models. There was some redesign in the 2017 6.7L. I didn't know about the redesign, or I would have gotten another 6.7L, instead I went for the F250 gasser before I found out. You talk about disappointment when pulling.... Anyways just my 2 cents. I've been die-hard Ford owner and have a hard time moving to another brand.

My history bleeds blue (oval...)

2017 F250 XLT, 6.4 Gas, FX4, SRW (current ride)
2011 F250 XLT, 6.7, FX4, 172", SRW (spun the bearings)
2015 Sedan Interceptor (ok this one isn't mine - but I get to drive it)
2014 Escape (still have)
2004 Explorer
2001 F150 XLT 5.4, SC (still in the family)
1998 Ranger XLT
1995 Mustang GT (still have)
1986 Ranger V6
1983 Ranger 4x4
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:44 PM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Less than 1% of 6.7L trucks have the issues as you described. Ram trucks are far worse.

Do you have any sources for the Cummins failure claims? I haven't seen that or heard it- just the RAM bodies break down before the motors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Do you have any sources for the Cummins failure claims? I haven't seen that or heard it- just the RAM bodies break down before the motors.

The Ford dealer I work for is a heavy truck dealer and we sold and service many trucks with the Cummins 6.7L ISB engine. We are also a Dodge dealer. I have yet to see ANY 6.7L Cummins with major fuel system failures. In fact, very few issues at all - perhaps a sensor or two but that is it. Most of the time when I do see one with a problem it is either EGR or exhaust aftertreatment concerns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:31 AM

I am reposting this from another thread on this forum.

My 2011 F250 with 66,000 miles had a high pressure fuel pump failure. I was told it was just a failure not a fuel corrosion problem. I was 3 months over the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. The truck had an impeccable service record at the same ford dealership from which I bought the the truck. Because the pump had no corrosion from bad fuel, I was not able to put a claim in with my insurance company. Ford warranty offered no help. It was a $10,800 repair quote.

I was given no explanation as to why the pump failed. I wonder how many pumps have some corrosion in them and work just fine. Seems that enough of these pumps with no corrosion fail that it's a pump problem not a corrosion problem. It's awful convenient for ford to be able to open up the pump and say oh look a little corrosion your not covered under warranty.

50-60 thousand dollar trucks should not have this all to commen problem. As I told Ford costumer service with 66,000 thousand miles on it ,my engine it should be broke in ,not broken!

Last edited by RDG; 02-25-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: rules violation
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:31 PM

My Photos: (5)
I have not looked at a new truck in a long while. I have lost touch with the new engines. I still love the sound of the cummins but I have no clue about any of the new engines. I have heard that they are not very user friendly but have way more power and the trucks are way nicer than my old 7.3. I see that people have referenced the government and new fuel when discussing these issues. What is it about the new style trucks that make them more susceptible, or should I be draining my fuel bowl more often as well? Thanks.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in