New member possibly purchasing a 6.7L - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member possibly purchasing a 6.7L

Hello all, a new member here well actually I was a member years ago but I can't remember my login info. I'm looking to trade in my 2011 ecoboost and get back into a heavier truck. The ecoboost has pretty much become our football truck for the kids and my 97 f250 crew cab just can't cut what I would like to put behind it on the farm. Today I looked at a 2011 f250 xl, 4x4, crew cab short bed with 192k miles on it. The asking price is 16.5. some the the issues I've found are,

The truck makes a swooshing noise when it revs but pulls boost and makes tons of power. Would this be a boost leak of some sort or a turbo going bad? It almost sounds similar to a bad serpentine belt but that's not what it is.

The truck has been deleted and will roll coal which I don't like. From what I can see the egr is gone and it has what I think is 5" exhaust and 6 at the back. I'm more into 4" exhaust so it's a little bigger than I would like.I can't find a tuner anywhere on the truck. Could a "chip" be installed kinda like the old way of doing on the 7.3s? The truck is kinda a mess inside, the plastic cover on the driver side pillar is laying in the back seat. I'm wondering if maybe it had gauges in it but was taken out.

Other than that the truck needs tires on it and some stuff on the inside like rear headrests and one of the lids to the overhead console. Mainly cosmetic stuff. It also needs to be serviced badly. The oil is pretty black in it but it's to the fill level so I guess that would mean it's not burning oil.

The dealership said they'll take another 1500 off on the truck and put 4 new tires on it. I'm a little shaky on the truck and don't think I'll be purchasing it but plan to go back and look at it again on Thursday. I'm hoping to learn from this truck so I know what to look for in the future.

Any help on the issues of this truck would be appreciated it and I'll definitely take any advice to stay away from this truck 🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM

That sounds like too much stuff on the iffy side. If it's as dirty as you make it out to be at a dealer, that's not right. I think there are too many unknowns with this one. I say keep looking.

Ed...KF5INW
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Hatin' the payments, but lovin' the truck!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 AM

If it is deleted it has to be tuned, meaning a programmer, not a chip like the old days. You need the tuner or I would be apprehensive about considering it. To replace an unknown tune will likely cost you well over $500 and a lot of headache.

I would pass.

Tom

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
Bye-bye 99 diesel-sucking automatic!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:43 AM

According to everything that I have read, the 2011 models had a fair number of issues with them--failing turbos, broken engine valves, etc. I would look at a later model to limit the amount of potential issues that you may have. **For the most part**, deleting the emissions is illegal, there are good and bad tuners out there, and (for me) it is not worth the headache.

I would pass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD View Post
According to everything that I have read, the 2011 models had a fair number of issues with them--failing turbos, broken engine valves, etc. I would look at a later model to limit the amount of potential issues that you may have. **For the most part**, deleting the emissions is illegal, there are good and bad tuners out there, and (for me) it is not worth the headache.

I would pass...
Not necessarily encouraging you to buy this particular truck, but.....with 192K miles don't you think that these issues would have shown themselves by now?

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler

Last edited by badbart; 10-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 AM

My Photos: (17)
This truck shows a marked lack of concern for maintenance & general care by the previous owner(s). There are way too many nice trucks out there to settle for this dud.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Never buy a truck with a modified motor. You never know what has been done to this truck. Look for something newer. You will be money ahead in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in