Productivity screen display of DPF % - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Productivity screen display of DPF %

some have called this "Ghost Screen" on other forums.

Here is the process to activate the screen in 8 photos. One does need a VCM with the correct version of IDS. Mine has v98.01 of IDS loaded. Hope this helps all.

Disclaimer - Not responsible for any damages this change may cause to any ones truck.

No "Ghost Screen"

IDS "talking" with truck via VCM

Toolbox selected to get to the Module Programming

Programmable Parameters for our trucks

Select Personality Parameter to program

Change "Forced Regeneration Request" to Enabled.

Programming complete and VCM can be disconnected from truck

"Ghost Screen" now appears

wharrell and DAVCO Dan like this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:13 PM

Nice! But pretty expensive to setup that computer and IDS and VCM.
Does this void the warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EGWILLY
Living the dream in So Cal!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 F350 Super Duty 6.7 Toy Hauler Machine
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egwilly View Post
Nice! But pretty expensive to setup that computer and IDS and VCM.
Does this void the warranty?
Most Ford Techs have no clue about this screen nor how to set it up. If you know someone with IDS, takes about 10 minutes max.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:34 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Most Ford Techs have no clue about this screen nor how to set it up. If you know someone with IDS, takes about 10 minutes max.

Actually Larry, we do. This particular programmable parameter is newly available on the IDS software. Ford Motor Company has not released any information regarding it so, of course very few technicians are aware of it at this time. All it does is unlock a monitor screen. You will not be given the ability to perform a manual regen as is available in the chassis cab with the 2-line LED display.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-19-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm going to have my tech do this when I bring it in for a faulty door sensor.

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 3.55s Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM

My Photos: (8)
I had the tech make sure everything was up to date and had it activated on my 16' before I took delivery... Haven't tried activating the regen in park yet but another member showed screen shots and he was able too so im anxious to try it when mine gets to 100%.. Will report back..

16' SD CC F350 6.7L FX4
White Platinum Tri-coat
Lariat Ultimate Pkg
5th wheel prep
Leveled front
35/12.50/20 Toyo MT's

11' SD CC 6.7L 4x4 (Sold)
08' SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (Sold)
06' SD CC 6.0L 4x4 (traded)

12' CanAm 1000 XT in Camo
12' Cat 430E 4x4 Backhoe Loader/Cab&Air

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Feedback on IC DPF % Full

Had mine activated Friday. Here are my initial observations

It updates in 5% increments and not in real time as the PIDS do through Forscan App

As Ford Doctor mentioned, it will not turn on OCR regeneration in a truck that has the 4.7" Color Instrument Display

Here is my observations from last night on my first DPF Filter Full Message:

When mine was parked and full, I could not initiate a manual regeneration. My servicing dealer may not have activated that part and I would unlikely use OCR anyway.

For the gauge accuracy, I am not so sure.

35 miles after a burn down the numbers don't match even after turning off the truck and recranking.

Note this was after I had only a 2 minute burn down due to EGT4 skyrocketing to 1450 degrees.

Even though the regeneration only lasts 2 minutes per the PIDS being displayed in the Forescan App, I still get a burn down from 3.55 g/l to around 1.1 g/l. The new Instrument Cluster gauge dropped to 85% and the PIDS thru Forscan continued to drop to around 11%.

On my truck this occurs on every other regeneration.

When this occurs , the PCM will subtract 100 miles from the distance since last regeneration value and then it will force one 100 miles later regardless of what the values are.

Then, on the next regeneration, the EGT4 will stay below 1250 and the regen will run for around 16 miles.

My diesel tech said the Ford Hotline said this was normal. When a Ford CRM Manager put an engineer on the phone with me though, he said it was not normal and that Ford would need my truck for 30 to 45 days to try to figure it out .

T diesel likes this.

Last edited by wharrell; 12-20-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

No one ever claimed it was a real time display. Many people don't have nor want the Edge devices nor the phone or mobile apps. I put it was for those who want to add it so they can monitor their truck. It is just another tool in the arsenal for the average user.

It is what it is and no more. Take it on face value and no implications needed nor implied.

Larry

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:43 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I think there is a misconception as to what the percentage indicates and it's "accuracy." It is likely that as with many things Ford does, the information is filtered and it is not meant to be actual data. It is more like a representation of the regeneration/load cycle and that is it. It's best use might simply be meant to allow you to see when an active regeneration event is coming and when it is complete.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:12 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
I think there is a misconception as to what the percentage indicates and it's "accuracy." It is likely that as with many things Ford does, the information is filtered and it is not meant to be actual data. It is more like a representation of the regeneration/load cycle and that is it. It's best use might simply be meant to allow you to see when an active regeneration event is coming and when it is complete.
It makes zero sense why ford did not put simple accurate info about regen status. gpl% and a regen on and off. 2 simple thing that is available.

My Diesels-
2015 f350 lariat ultimate
97 F250 XL 4x4 PSD 5spd(purrrs)
09 kubota m59
03 MF 4345 4x4 cab/air Sirius/radio 1070 loader
2012 kubota rtv 1100
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM

My Photos: (10)
This will work with a j2534 pass thru tool also, I just did mine a couple of days ago. I haven't had any experience using the IDS but the menu screens look identical. My truck is an XLT and has the 2 line display but there is no menu option for a forced regen. The way I understand the manual is the OCR can only be initiated once the DPF has reached a certain soot level.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 PM

I highly recommend the CTS insight. Seems very accurate and if needed I can force a regen. I have not and don't see a reason to use that feature. I like being able to see all the info while the truck is approaching and going through the regen. The DPF load, soot % and DPF pressure all seem to be inline with whats happening. I get a regen at an average of 500 miles and a little over 3 on my soot. The only odd thing is that my DPF load will get to 100% then clear to zero right before a regen.. I bought the truck new in June and just now turned 3k. Don't put many miles on it so being able to see the PID's Ford hides from us is really cool. Im in a 2015 KR lifted and the CTS let me recalibrate my speedo after the larger tires where put on.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo1966 View Post
I highly recommend the CTS insight. Seems very accurate and if needed I can force a regen. I have not and don't see a reason to use that feature. I like being able to see all the info while the truck is approaching and going through the regen. The DPF load, soot % and DPF pressure all seem to be inline with whats happening. I get a regen at an average of 500 miles and a little over 3 on my soot. The only odd thing is that my DPF load will get to 100% then clear to zero right before a regen.. I bought the truck new in June and just now turned 3k. Don't put many miles on it so being able to see the PID's Ford hides from us is really cool. Im in a 2015 KR lifted and the CTS let me recalibrate my speedo after the larger tires where put on.
Not everyone wants to spend $300-400 or more for a CTS/CTS2. No one ever said this was a one to one correlation to anything the CTS or any other device provides. This only gives one an indication of the approx load of soot and an idea when a regen might occur or when it might be finished. Most people seem to miss the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" notification. Many have asked, "How do I know if my truck is doing a regen?"...this will give them that answer if they check this screen at random intervals.

That is why I posted the info on how to turn on this screen. Not for any other reason. Most people use this info for what it is worth to THEM. Might not be worth anything to you or others.

Larry

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 AM

Larry, Wasn't putting what you've done down in any way. I was only saying I have a tool that I find helpful. I wish I didn't have to put out another 4 bills to see what my truck is doing and I feel Ford should have done it for us since the info is already there. I was just putting i out there that IF you want to pay for it, there is a tool that shows you more about your truck than you need. I'm very pleased with all it offers. Maint. reminders, speedo calibrate and such. If I hadn't bought it Id be at the dealer having them turn this on
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM

My Photos: (10)
What I observed with mine falls in line with what wharrell stated. When I 1st activated mine the DPF was at 35%. The short trips I take got it up to 75% after a couple of days. Then we took a road trip and noticed the % increasing much slower. I wasn't hauling anything and it took another 115 miles to reach 100%. Because I was paying attention to the % I saw the cleaning exhaust message flash and then the DPF % started counting back down. After ~16 miles it got to 0% and I saw the fuel economy come back up and figured it had completed the regen. This is a nice little upgrade that didn't cost me anything so I am pretty pleased with it.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in