Regen cycle completing? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By frank faucheux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regen cycle completing?

The first time I drove my truck I had to drive it for about an hour and a half for the filter to get clean. Blue screen came on that said filter cleaning was complete. Since then, the orange warning screen thatís says cleaning exhaust filter comes on for about 3 seconds and then just goes away. No other prompts that cleaning has been completed and no messages in the message center. Most of my driving is freeway for an hour at a time. Is this normal or does it sound like there is a problem with the SCR system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 7.3; 146,000 miles; 4R100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:28 AM

I have a 15 and mine never tells me when it's don cleaning the filter. You don't have to worry about the turning off the truck while it is cleaning the filter. It will resume cleaning when the truck warms up again. You have nothing to worry about.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I have a 2015. There's a VERY brief message that will pop when the filter cleaning starts. After 20 minutes at HWY speeds (50+MPH) the cleaning will complete. There is no additional message that pops up saying the cleaning is complete. IF you have to stop while the regen is in process, once you shift to Park the regen is stopped.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking it View Post
...You don't have to worry about the turning off the truck while it is cleaning the filter. It will resume cleaning when the truck warms up again. You have nothing to worry about.

Are you sure about that? In general you are correct however there are two things to consider.

1. Exhaust gas temperatures (and the exhaust filter assembly) can exceed 1100*F therefore parking a vehicle over combustible materials or near the exhaust outlet does present potential for fire or heat damage. So they say.
  2. Not allowing your exhaust filter to complete cleaning multiple times due to frequent short trips and other operating conditions like excessive idling can overload and even clog a DPF.
I will only add that if you suspect the truck is in regen when you need to shut down give it 5-10 minutes at idle to let things cool down a little if you can... just as a precaution. When I perform manual regenerations at the dealership the heat generated by the process is sometimes concerning. I have felt the floor of pick-up beds that were so hot that you could not touch it. That shows the affect of the heat when the truck is not moving vs. moving where moving air keeps things cooler.

JMHO

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. The first time I regened the truck, it said the filter was clogged. After driving a blue screen came up saying the process was completed. I havenít seen it since but maybe thatís because the filter hasnít clogged again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 7.3; 146,000 miles; 4R100
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:33 PM

My 2015 F350 I have all service performed regular intervals, at the dealership where I purchased the truck.
I'm used to seeing the cleaning exhaust filter msg but @ 59,000 miles it began giving the cleaning exhaust filter msg more and more frequently. Shortly thereafter, I received the exhaust filter clogged drive to clean msg. I contacted the dealership and they advised I drive the truck 20-40 miles at highway speed. This truck is primarily driven on the highway long distances. When this happened I'd been driving around town for approximately three weeks. You know, 3 street miles to the office, 4 miles to the market and so on.
After following that advice and on the way back home coming off the freeway, the truck was at a bit of a loss of power and the turbo boost gauge didn't appear to be working. No turbo? One more mile home and the red wrench popped up saying service vehicle. I parked the truck and the next day upon turning the key the exhaust filter clogged drive to clean comes up, red wrench next and now, the check engine light. I had it towed to the dealership where I purchased it.
I wasn't too worried as I have Ford's Premium care warranty.
I called the following day and they had no info other than they were working on it and it could take a week or so. A week goes by, no call. I call back the middle of the following week. The service gal tells me that the mechanic stated that he'd found metal shavings in the fuel filter but didn't have anything else yet. Now I'm reading all these comments here about water in the fuel and fuel pump failure, dealerships finding ways not to cover this type of damage. I'm really thinking the worse. Another two weeks go by and nothing. I stop by the dealership to pick up some things I'd left in the back of the truck and, what do you know, the truck is ready! I'm told that it was a DEF system failure, on the floor is my diesel cannister and associated parts. She says they got it covered under the Federal emissions warranty not the Premium care warranty. Go figure? Water pump goes out at 36,800, recall for an injector which made the truck knock @34,500, and now this. I ask about the metal shavings in the fuel filter and she kind of changes the subject. I ask again and she says "Well, he thought it was metal shavings but it could have been something else, DEF fluid, who knows. When I checked the invoice, the fuel filter(s) had not been changed. Wouldn't you at least change those out if there was the possibility of metal shavings? I guess it's going back in this week for an oil change and fuel filter change as a precautionary measure.

In all this, I'm being told by service and others like on here who might or might not be mechanics, that I have to idle the truck down (which the dealership says not to do unless it's cleaning the exhaust filter), others say that I shouldn't drive the truck around town, the dealership says it's not good to let the truck idle for long periods of time, my owners manual only says that @ around 200,000 miles, I MIGHT have to have the catalyst (exhaust filter looked at). ***???

Last edited by ablewood; 07-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 AM

Garage
It is ALWAYS wise to idle any turbocharged engine for several minutes (3-5) minimum to cool the turbocharger(s) especially afer a hard run or towing. Doing so will reduce the possibility of oil burning in the center rotating housing and bearings when shut off and there is no oil flow to cool... which will lead to poor lubrication and bearing failure.

As far as warranty coverage goes, covered repairs are ALWAYS applied to the base warranty, powertrain or emissions BEFORE your ESP warranty.

I believe there was no injector recall on this engine ever. I have never heard of one nor have I performed any such recall. Do you have the number of the recall... or bulletin?

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Listen to your Doc. I adjust my idle time based on how it's been driven. Towing = a longer idle time. Rolling down the curvy flat road to my house unloaded not so much. That said I ended up with an EGR and turbo at around 135K but I do have a lot of heavy load towing miles on the truck. Thinking about a 2020.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=ford_doctor;4664944]It is ALWAYS wise to idle any turbocharged engine for several minutes (3-5) minimum to cool the turbocharger(s) especially afer a hard run or towing. Doing so will reduce the possibility of oil burning in the center rotating housing and bearings when shut off and there is no oil flow to cool... which will lead to poor lubrication and bearing failure.

As far as warranty coverage goes, covered repairs are ALWAYS applied to the base warranty, powertrain or emissions BEFORE your ESP warranty.

I believe there was no injector recall on this engine ever. I have never heard of one nor have I performed any such recall. Do you have the number of the recall... or bulletin?

I just went through my service records. What the $&_$ is going on with my service department??? I was told that it was a recall and it was replaced on Ford. However, after Reading through pages and pages of service records for the incident tonight, it appears the tech followed a procedure for a tsb and that didn't work so, he simply changed the #3 injector because it failed. It ended up being covered under my esp warranty as my truck had 38K miles on it.
I also just noticed that at each oil change (even though I took the truck in with a full def tank) I've been charged up to $27 for added def fluid.

Read every line on the paperwork before leaving the dealership. Sheesh!

PS, My service department told me I do not need to nor should I idle my truck down and my owners manual doesn't say anything about doing this either although what you're saying makes some sense.
Dealership says idling isn't a friend to these diesels nor is stop and go driving. It causes the def filter to clog.
***? Why isn't this information written down somewhere?
Time to buy a gasoline powered truck.

Last edited by ablewood; 08-04-2019 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
EXTENDED IDLING is not recommended. A few minutes at shut down is not going to affect anything negatively.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:35 AM

From the Owner's Manual:

Starting and Stopping the Engine
SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE - 6.7L DIESEL

Switch the ignition off.
To help prolong engine life, we recommended you allow the engine to idle for three to five minutes, especially after any of the following:
Continuous engine speed.
High ambient temperature.
High GVW or GCW operation, for example heavy loads or trailers.
This allows the turbo charged engine to cool down.
2018 Super Duty Owner's Manual

I installed a Scan Gauge on my '09 when new. I never stop the engine until the 1st exhaust gas temperature drops to 400į
ford_doctor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in