Regens daily or more - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By djousma
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By djousma
  • 1 Post By Stroking it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regens daily or more

I took my truck in a month ago because my filter was clogged and I blew the inter cooler tube off the truck. They replaced it and did a manual regen and sent me on my way. Ever since I have gotten the truck back my truck regens daily and sometimes every time the truck is started. For the previous 55,000 miles it would regen weekly with same driving habits. Most of the time (90%)it regens when on the highway for 60 plus miles and then the next day Iíll drive 20 miles and it regens. I took it to ford which was 80 miles away and it started a regen when I had been on the highway for 15 miles and did another regen at 45 miles. Iím going 75 to 85 mph the whole way to ford minus the one mile it is from the off ramp. They tell me that nothing is wrong because there isnít a code. They say they see where it finished a regen but say it is at 58%. They said once it hits 60% is when it will regen. So how is it the last regen I was driving 75+ mph on a freeway with no incline and I had 35 miles before I exited and it only regens 2% but nothing is wrong. Iím worried Iím going to just blow the inter cooler tube off again in 1000 miles and they are going to fix it and say nothing is wrong. Something has to be wrong for it to be regening daily or twice daily on the highway. Iím downloading a new software update on my tuner so I can read my 2015 truck as it would read and then screen would go blank and DB said it was just a bug. I feel if I record when it goes into regen every time and it doesnít properly regenerate and show Ford, they will still say they donít know whatís wrong or what the problem is because there is no code. What happened to mechanics using their brain and actually putting hands on these trucks to figure out whatís wrong. If there isnít a big red sign saying fix me they wonít know what to do. Iím not too happy with ford at all. Iíve had my truck in the shop almost every two to three months since June 2015 for issues with this truck. Some ford had a code to fix and some they havenít so they are clueless. I even told them what was wrong on one instance and they told me I was wrong and nothing was wrong because there wasnít a code. Technology is great but damn it has made these mechanics....(you fill in the blank)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM

My 2011 had a bad EGT12 sensor that threw a code eventually. The symptoms were repeated regens, crappy fuel mileage. I ordered replacement online for about $35, and swapped it out, and it fixed the problem. The issue was that the sensor was giving erratic readings, making the computer think that regen was initiating, but never being successful. My 2016 will only regen with either the 500mi mandatory limit is reached, or 100% on the DPF is reached. Usually in the summer the full DPF kicks it off, and in the winter the 500miles kicks it off.

My truck was never tuned though either. If you have a way to put it back to stock tuning and run it, I'd probably go that route first. Ford will blame that anyway.
MrTommy likes this.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:34 PM

I have a 2015 F350 with the 6.7. Does anyone know of a way to do a manual regen outside of taking it to Ford or having the $2k ids setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Also. If the only option is to get a tuner, which one is recommended and who has tunes that will run bone stock without changing timing with the engine and transmission? Looking for advice as i am planning on deleting it for longevity.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 PM

You can buy a tuner or monitor. I have a monitor from Edge, the Insight CTS2. It will do a manual regen. These are the costly methods.

A lesser costly method if you own a laptop or have a buddy with one, you can buy an OBDII interface (USB, WIFI, Bluetooth) and download FORScan. Then get the free license from the website. You can do a regen with FORScan. You can also make some changes to other things such as the Exhaust Filter screen.

Here is the spreadsheet of the changes people have discovered.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...AtI/edit#gid=0

This thread is fairly long but has some useful info within it. It goes through many of the changes people have found, problems they might have experienced search and trying the changes.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...uilt-data.html
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

The truck isnít tuned. I just have a programmer but never installed the programs and use it to watch the pids. Hopefully the sensor will fail soon as Iím tired of this bs with Ford if it is a sensor issue. It sounds like it could be that though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

So took it back to ford and they said there are no codes so nothing is wrong. I tried to get them to understand that for 55,000 miles it would regenerate once a week unless I was on a trip or hauling cows and hay. I then blow the intake off the truck and they fix it and it attempts to regenerate daily or more. Something is wrong and they finally understood what I was telling them and then said what do you want us to do? My filter is at 78% right now and when I took it to the shop it was at 58%, so Iím basically waiting for it to become clogged again and blow the intake off in less than a month of it getting fixed. It got clogged the first time but we never found out why it got clogged up in the first place and it appears we are going to repeat it over and over again. This is so fun driving 90 miles one way to take the truck to the shop all the time. They are so intelligent that it took them a week to fix a vacuum pump gasket that was leaking and pull no codes and not fix two things that are broken on the truck and when I asked them why they didnít fix them they said they forgot, but needed to keep my truck for 7 days. Ford you are killing me....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

After driving on the highway for two plus hours unloaded at 85mph I had a code pop up that is P24AO. From what I see it is that the truck is trying to regen but the exhaust temps arenít high enough to burn and clean out the filter. The exhaust temps were pretty consistent at about 875ish degrees at sensor 11 and 12 and were lower on 13 and 14. The ambient temp was pretty warm at 30 degrees today and on that two hour drive it said the truck was in regen the entire time. The dpf filter was at 1.0 when it started and after 2 hours it was at 1.9 to 2.0. Iím not sure what range is on that sensor to when it is empty and full on the infinity programmer. There arenít any tunes on this truck it is completely stock.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanichFarms View Post
After driving on the highway for two plus hours unloaded at 85mph I had a code pop up that is P24AO. From what I see it is that the truck is trying to regen but the exhaust temps arenít high enough to burn and clean out the filter. The exhaust temps were pretty consistent at about 875ish degrees at sensor 11 and 12 and were lower on 13 and 14. The ambient temp was pretty warm at 30 degrees today and on that two hour drive it said the truck was in regen the entire time. The dpf filter was at 1.0 when it started and after 2 hours it was at 1.9 to 2.0. Iím not sure what range is on that sensor to when it is empty and full on the infinity programmer. There arenít any tunes on this truck it is completely stock.
Here is a thread that may help.

I would still replace the noted EGT12 and/or EGT14 sensors, even if at your own cost and see what happens. They aren't that expensive($35 ea).
CanichFarms likes this.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
SOLD:2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Sterling Gray Metallic
SOLD:2005 F350 XLT 4x4 FX4 SRW SC SB 6.0 PSD/TS Med. Wedgewood Blue, Dual Alternators, Tow Command, Bypass Coolant filtration.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Truck has been at the dealer for 8 days and they have found out nothing. I replaced all the egg sensors and it didnít help. I took it to the dealer and they did a bunch of tests on it. I think it was about 12 tests they had to do and two of the tests they had to wait six hours between the tests so that took awhile to do. They said all sensors are working great and called ford hotline to find out what to do and they recommended to replace the MAF sensor. Once they replace it they said give me the truck back and see what happens and if the code pops up again. The mechanic doesnít believe the sensor will fix my problem and I told him Iím not picking the truck up until the DEF system is in working order. They said they drove it 100 miles and canít get it to properly regen or complete a regen, but told me they canít do anything without a code. I love new age mechanics. The filter is 110% full and when I blew the inter cooler off a month ago it was 130% full. They didnít fix anything except putting a new inter cooler tube on and doing a manual regen. They wanted to manual regen it and send me away but I told them that doesnít fix the problem, so they are going to drive it another 100 miles Monday and call and let me know what they know or donít know.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 AM

There doesn't have to be a code for them to fix your truck. Usually they say they can't duplicate the problem. In your case the see the problem and i would guess they dont want to replace the entire DPF system. Not sure why they did a manual regen in the first place. Blowing the intrecooler tube had nothing to do with the DPF being full. Is the truck actually using DEF at a alarming rate or is the message just coming up on the info center? Have they tried to update the software in the truck. It could be a computer problem.
Hope you get this fixed soon.
CanichFarms likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking it View Post
There doesn't have to be a code for them to fix your truck. Usually they say they can't duplicate the problem. In your case the see the problem and i would guess they dont want to replace the entire DPF system. Not sure why they did a manual regen in the first place. Blowing the intrecooler tube had nothing to do with the DPF being full. Is the truck actually using DEF at a alarming rate or is the message just coming up on the info center? Have they tried to update the software in the truck. It could be a computer problem.
Hope you get this fixed soon.
The two dealerships within 100 miles have told me on numerous occasions that if there isn’t a CEL with a code they can’t do anything to the truck because there is nothing wrong with it. I’ve given examples of how dumb that is to them but that is what they said.

No the truck hasn’t had any software update and it doesn’t use much def at all if any. In August of 2018 was the last time I filled it full and it has sat for at least two months at 3.2 gallons. Hen I did fill it I drove from Montana to CA and then to TX and back to MT in sept. Drove it to drop the kids off at school daily, went on a few 300 mile trips and picked up 100 tons of hay on a 40’ flatbed so if I had to gestimate I would say it’s been 4500 miles since I filled the tank up.

Last edited by CanichFarms; 01-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

The truck was there for ten days and the only thing they figure out that was wrong was nothing, so they called the ford hotline and they advised them to replace the MAF sensor and send me on my way. They told me that they drove the truck 150 miles and everything was fine. I got the truck and I left it with a full tank of diesel and I got it back with an 8th of a tank and had driven it 421 miles, so when they get to work this morning they will be getting a phone call from me. They said that they drove it until it completed a regen and when I checked when the last time it had a regen was 380 miles ago, so someone was driving my truck for fun. I didnít even make it home from the 100 mile trip from ford and it tried to regen 5 times and the first started when I had driven about 30 miles. When I was 10 miles from home I threw three codes. One was the same p24AO, one was p20bd and I forgot the other one, but it was similar to the p20bd which is for the reductant heater. Back up to ford today for it to take over a week to fix.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM

I would be on the phone to ford so fast. This is unacceptable to anyone. Keep the tag. It has the miles in and out on it. his makes me mad for you. No way to keep a customer. Let ford know this. Here is the number https://www.google.com/search?client...stomer+service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in