Tell me about the 6 Speed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tell me about the 6 Speed

More specifically 3rd gear. I can't describe it very well, but it feels as if 3rd gear has two functions, like unlocked TC and then locked TC, so the trans feels like it shifts 7 times instead of 6. Is this common? How close is it to the 6 speed in the F150 as far as how it shifts?

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 06:57 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
What you are describing is what I feel/see when driving. It seems to be more dependent on how I'm inputting to the pedal. So I can get pretty deep in the pedal off the line, shift thru the gears, TC locks after 3rd and rolls up to 6th. If it's a cold day, first drive of the day, the TC lock can seem a tad delayed thru the gears even up to 6th gear. I cannot comment about the F150 shifting.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

OK good. After the Shift Flare issue with my 99, I just wanted to be sure that third is normal and not slipping due to some errant Ford programming. The one thing that bugs me most is the dead pedal feel when turning. I have to give it much more go pedal after turning for it to accelerate than what I'm used to with the F150. It's almost as though it has a protection built in to not pound torque into the drive line while going slow. The same can be said about dead stop acceleration.

Not going to worry about the way 3rd feels now, that and the fluid looks good, and the rest of the gears are rock solid. Only reason I mentioned the F150 is that I had two of them with the 6 Speed trans and neither of them had a weird 3rd shift like this one does, and yes, aware they are not the same transmission.

Sold due to neglect
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 02:51 PM

My Photos: (6)
Ford uses a Torque Management feature in the trans tuning. I understand it as keeping the systems from damaging stuff. Hence why most people cannot get the tires to break loose when slamming the pedal to the floor. Do you know if you can shut down the AdvancTrac on your model year truck?? I can press and hold the button for 7 seconds, message will flash AdvancTrac Disabled. It's not permanent as if the system sees a driving issue, it will kick in. Also I will need to do it every time I start the truck.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Oh, this truck definitely breaks traction with ease, the previous owner must have done that a lot based on the lack of tread on the right rear tire. I have to be careful not to give too much from a dead stop because it will light up at least one tire if I do. And that is the problem I face. Too much pedal to get going and it breaks traction, its like a go, no-go pedal it either no goes, or it GOES! Takes some getting used to compared to the F150.

Sold due to neglect
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 04:57 PM

When the 6R140 came out in 2011 one of the Ford bragging points was that the transmission would lock the torque converter in gears 3 thru 6. Sometimes I feel the converter lock and other times I don't as I increase speed up thru the gears--probably depends on load and acceleration. There were also about 3 transmission reflashes in 2011 & 2012. My 2012 Job 2 had some pretty strange shifting at times, but the last flash pretty well fixed it. Occasionally 2nd to 3rd is rough still, but I've learned that accelerating a little harder eliminates the roughness. After that last flash there were complaints on line that the shifts were too soft for a truck, but it corrected a problem I had going from reverse to drive. Apparently the shift solenoids are turned for loaded acceleration--never have any roughness pulling the 12.5K fifth wheel.

2012 F-350 SRW CCSB XLT 6.7
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 04:59 PM

Oh, and I'll spin the tires any time I start with any go--have to be a little conservative to keep from breaking loose.

2012 F-350 SRW CCSB XLT 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in