Trans issue, pulling noticably when stopped - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By Pete C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans issue, pulling noticably when stopped

2016 F350 DRW 6.7 No prior trans issues, just started this morning with a noticeable pulling when stopped otherwise seems to be shifting fine. Nothing out of the ordinary recently, short medium weight trailer pull a couple days back, also pretty routine. Only 51K on the truck. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 AM

You mean when you are stopped at a light and foot on the brake, the truck seems to want to be moving forward? If yes, I have noticed the same on my 2014 dually. I have only had the truck for 4 months, but it has been that way since purchase. it has 43,000 miles. It feels like it is power braking every time I stop. I just figured it was normal.

Tom

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
Bye-bye 99 diesel-sucking automatic!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 AM

Is this by chance the Hill Start Assist you are feeling?

HILL START ASSIST

WARNINGS

The system does not replace the parking brake. When you leave your vehicle, always apply the parking brake and put the transmission in park (P).

WARNINGS

You must remain in your vehicle once you have activated the system. During all times, you are responsible for controlling your vehicle, supervising the system and intervening, if required. If the engine is revved excessively, or
if a malfunction is detected, the system will be deactivated.

The system makes it easier to pull away when your vehicle is on a slope without the need to use the parking brake.
When the system is active, your vehicle will remain stationary on the slope for two to three seconds after you release the brake pedal. This allows you time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. The brakes are released automatically once the engine has developed sufficient drive to prevent your vehicle from rolling down the slope. This is an advantage when pulling away on a slope, (for example from a car park ramp, traffic lights or when reversing uphill into a parking space).

The system will activate automatically on any slope that will cause significant vehicle rollback.

Using Hill Start Assist

1. Press the brake pedal to bring your vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.

2. If the sensors detect that your vehicle is on a slope, the system will activate automatically.

3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, your vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for
about two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off

4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will release automatically.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:44 AM

My Photos: (10)
Is the engine idle normal? If the engine idle speed is where it normally is and the truck is pulling harder than usual then it would have to be a problem with the torque converter, not a clutch or band. The clutches and bands do not slip when they are applied, the converter will.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

The idle is normal, however when shifting into park the RPM will blip up for a second when the improper load is removed and the idle control overshoots. Thought about TC, TCC, trans solenoids, etc. Hopefully I will be able to find time this morning to get the scanners out and see if there are any hidden codes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

No codes in any module, including TCM. Scope clearly shows things loading up when put in D or R, and show the sudden drop in load and jump in RPM when put back in P or N. Definitely abnormal, but it seems the TCM hasn't figured that out yet.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

I found my service manual and the symptoms appear to be consistent with the torque converter being always on. The way the load reported by the TCM climbs steadily I'd suspect a sticking / leaking solenoid allowing hydraulic pressure to build. At any rate it's still under the base powertrain warranty (also have ESP) so it's at the shop now to hopefully be repaired tomorrow. Hopefully I caught it early enough that it didn't do much damage and require more extensive repair.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I found my service manual and the symptoms appear to be consistent with the torque converter being always on. The way the load reported by the TCM climbs steadily I'd suspect a sticking / leaking solenoid allowing hydraulic pressure to build. At any rate it's still under the base powertrain warranty (also have ESP) so it's at the shop now to hopefully be repaired tomorrow. Hopefully I caught it early enough that it didn't do much damage and require more extensive repair.
Please report back on this. Your description is exactly what I am experiencing. I also have ESP so I would like to get this figured out as well.

Tom

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

They replaced the front pump, torque converter and valve body and flushed after finding metal bits that appeared to be from the torque converter. Under base powertrain warranty since ~51K, no need for the ESP yet. I've had it back a few days now and it seems to be doing ok after a bit of adaptive re-learn the first day.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:05 PM

Interesting? Does any of you folks have a OBDII bluetooth adapter plugged in??

I've had my 2013 truck jumping or try pushing through the brake at a stop light a few times. I've tracked it down to when I use the Torque Pro App with the bluetooth adapter. If I don't shut down the APP when I shut off the truck while fueling up at a station and start the truck, at the next stop light it offen does it. I'll pull out the bluetooth adapter and it will stop doing it right away. Shut down Torque Pro and plug in the adapter and re-start Torque Pro and all is normal again. Most of the time it is when pulling my 5th Wheel, but it has done it without it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 AM

No OBDII bluetooth adapter in mine.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in