The Diesel Stop banner

Is the turbo supposed to sound weird?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ACD2 
#1 · (Edited)
Since mine has the delete pipe on it, there is nothing restricting the exhaust sounds. When I start it, I hear the normal turbo spool sound, but as it idles it makes a weird sucking sound. It has been years since I had my 7.3, and I sort of recall it making a sound other than the whine at idle when cold, but nothing like this. Is it supposed to do this?

It kind of sounds like a shop vac with a piece of paper stuck in it.

#3 ·
I only hear it on start up. Of course now I have to go look up what VGT is. LOL Let me guess though, variable vanes inside the housing to increase/decrease spool speed.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#4 ·
Ahh, Now I understand. Also explains the 1-2 upshift and funky sound.

Nice explanation.

#5 ·
Gals Banks has a video I like (for reference only) that shows/shares the same info.

I'm thinking Ford has used this in the PCM tuning to help with motor warm-up since it tends to go away once up to operating temps.

#6 ·
I remember my 99 making different sounds when warming up on really cold days. You could hear the turbo spooling up/down, but didn't make the weird gargling noise the new one does, but now that I know why the turbo makes that noise, I'm ok with it now. Now if I can just figure out that other weird beeping noise it makes when not running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.