The Diesel Stop banner

Vibration-Bounce at 40mph 65-75mph

48K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  CajunMick 
#1 ·
2013 Super Duty long bed 4x4 have continued vibration seems like wheels and tires have had dealer replace tires and change wheels and replaced shocks. Now they are saying some do it worse than mine and basically refuse to do anything further. Have friends with 2011 and 2014. The 2011 is King Ranch and has no vibration 20" rims and tires factory. The 2014 has similar vibration bounce but stops faster than mine as mine continues for quite a bit longer. See numerous threads regarding frame harmonics but no solution to fix. Like truck other than this annoying bounce. Worse in rear seat than front. Any new info on Ford actually helping to solve this problem?

#2 ·
4 1/2 years since I first started the post about the rear end bounce @40-45 mph and sorry to say, no solution has been offered by Ford.

#3 ·
I've had 4 super duties from 2002 to current.
All have done this when unloaded.
Hook on a heavy trailer and it goes away.
Go figure, use the truck for what they are designed for and they ride nice. LOL

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#4 · (Edited)
Your 65-75 bounce, is this happening on concrete freeways? If it does, the issue is the road. The expansion joints are what's doing it. As the concrete ages they raise at the joint. Between that, the distance between them, and the wheelbase of the truck, causes it to bounce. I get the bounce and I just have to find a smoother lane to drive in. It's also worse when cold out. It also stops when I go across an overpass then starts again once I've passed it.

#5 ·
i have that at 75-85 on WOT its annoying but goes away above and below it i figure its just wheel balance or another rotating thing like drive shafts or something out of balance... it used to freak me out.

I also get the 65-70 mph rock and roll from the concrete joints in the road in my 2015 ext cab long box didnt get that in the sort wheel base reg cab/long box. and its worse in the neighbors crewcab.

i'm still trying to sort the 43MPH Thunk but my 08 had that too when empty i'm leaning to the leaf springs jouncing or just weird harmonics, on the 08 i thought maybe it was the ls rear end but i have a elocker on this so its wide open at 45

I don't know if this has been tried yet or not my friend has a F350 cab chassis with a service body that they just couldn't get the tire balance rite on it was rite at 45-60 it was off 65-80 or visa versa, it was a nightmare till he went to a local automotive tech school that has a road force balancer and hasn't had the issue since. no vibration at any speed. i laughed at him, thought he was nuts till i road in it once b4 it was fixed.

just my .02 cents

#6 ·
According to most threads the balancing does not help. In my 2003 I never had any of problems of these mentioned and after reading some the Rancho shocks were mentioned. My 03 had Rancho shocks and my friend with 2014 that does not bounce as bad as mine has Rancho shocks. Putting a pair on the Rear today to test. Will post results after full testing.

#9 ·
#10 ·
My truck is a 2011 F250. 76k miles.
Bouncy at 42-45 mph. Carrying no load, just a run to hardware store. By myself. Annoying, yes!

Recently driving on new blacktop road, speed in ~40-47 mph range with 4 souls on board, no bouncing!. Biggest complainer was MiL. This time no complaints. So, is extra weight in back seat a force balance multiplier?

I did try couple of 50 lb sand bags in the bed, over the axle, and it seems to help some. But maybe I should have tried 4 bags instead? Didn’t do it.

Just keep bouncing.....

#11 ·
I have a 14 CC dually and mine does the same bounce and most noticed in the 40ish range. I have noticed when I have the family and 3 adults in the back seat the bounce is nearly eliminated. I was trying to come up with some type of ballast to put in the cab behind the seat or in the storage bins.

Tom

#12 · (Edited)
Tom, what ever you do, if it solves the 42-47 mph bounce, let us all know about it. Might want to start new post so it will be up front.

Now is wondering if added weight of pax in rear seat if something about body to frame mounting hardware?

Was driving truck today with wife in it, but had a radial arm saw in back, plus another not too heavy weighed device. Nothing in the back seat area. Wife never said a word.

After we unloaded the stuff at son’s house, returning home, within first few miles, wife asked why truck bouncing! Told her it is the “nature of the beast”, per Ford engineers. She said they full of cr*p. No wonder why her mom won’t ride in this beast.

I just smiled.

#13 ·
My 2011 does it too. I have a toolbox mounted right behind the cab and it has about 300 pounds of tools in it, doesn't make any difference. What I did notice though is when I have my fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed along with the toolbox I don't notice it as much. It weighs about 150 pounds.
It seems you need more weight toward the rear of the truck to make a difference. Ford did make a dampner for some early model trucks with this problem with mixed results. They were 2007-2008 IIRC. It was a technical service bulletin, not warranty. I believe they charged about $350 back then. It was a heavy steel weight, about 75-100 pounds that they mounted to the rear of the frame behind the rear axle. It had a thick rubber bushing to disperse harmonics.

#14 ·
I also have an aluminum box across the bed which ties the upper bed rails together near the cab. I probably have 200 lbs in mine and it doesn't make a difference that I can tell.

I looked into the frame dampener. It bolts on the driver's rear frame rail just in front of the bumper on the outside. The TSB carries all the way to at least 2014 because my truck falls under it. Problem is the unit is now $750 and not covered under ESP. If you are under 3/36 my dealer said they could have covered it.

Tom

#17 ·
#16 ·
Here’s a question for us who hav this problem - those of us that have this problem, do you have a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed? I am asking this, wondering if the hitch brackets bolted to frame rails, then secured to the hitch at the bed bottom could probably have anything to do with this bounce phenomenon?

Many quote truck rides smooth when a fiver or trailer hitched up. Mine does. So question begs If any trucks with hitches exhibits this strange bounce thing, maybe a contributing factor.

#18 ·
You might can find one at you local pick n pull parts yard for a lot less....was installed on some of the earlier 200-2010 trucks also.

#19 ·
Larry,

Do you know if this earlier unit lines up with the bolt holes for the 11+?

Tom

#20 ·
Yes, the holes line up. The part number in the TSB is a 2005 part.

#21 ·
Thank you,

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.