Watch out for turbo tube failure filling up DPF, and not being covered - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Watch out for turbo tube failure filling up DPF, and not being covered

Just a warning, I have a 2015 with the 6.7. Have the premium maintenance plan and ESP through Ford. Figured it should cover most things that would go wrong.

I drive the truck primarily on the highway, I'm willing to bet we've only had a handful of regens cancelled in the 97k miles I've got on the vehicle.

My truck started throwing a message up one day, while doing a short errand, indicating it needed to do a regen. I drove it home, thinking that was odd, and the next day, took it onto the interstate so it could regenerate.

Immediately after it tried to regen, it told me that I needed to take it in for maintenance, and kept flashing the wrench icon.

I drove it straight to the closest dealer that could take it.

They fixed a couple of things on it, and diagnosed the problem as the turbo's CAC tube blown. What wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty was covered under my ESP.

I drove it home, and on the way home, the check engine light came on. The next morning, I drove it straight back. They called me up, and said that the DPF was full. They said it was caused by the previous condition with the turbo, but yet still wasn't covered under my ESP or the powertrain warranty. Ford told them that I must have driven it "significantly" in this condition. Cost in parts was quoted at $4400 (ouch).

I escalated it through Ford, and managed to get them to help enough to drop the out the door cost to me @ $2800.

In my mind, if something was so serious, the truck should have told me not to drive it - get it towed to the dealer. They've got sensors all over the place, and if such cash is at stake, you'd better believe I'd do whatever was needed.

So, while I knew that the ESP didn't cover everything, I can hardly believe they wouldn't cover a problem caused by a covered repair!

Mark

• 2003 F-150 XL STX 5.4 with towing package (custom ordered)
  • 2015 F-350 Super Duty 6.7 FX4, Green Gem Metallic (custom ordered)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM

I never herd of such a line of crap. The CAC pipe goes from the silver intercooler to the throttle body. It's after the turbo. The CAC pipe has nothing at all to do with the DEF tank or anything at all to do with the DEF system. If you have a crack in the CAC pipe only thing that happens is you lose boost. I had mine pop off and lost all boost but was able to fix it after driving this way foe 50 miles. Never a CEL or wrench light.
Get your CAC pipe here.
https://rudysdiesel.com/c-1389339-ac...%7Cyear%3D2015
As for this dealer I would try someone else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:50 PM

Having trouble editing my post so here is my edit.
Not sure how the DPF filter got full and the dealer couldn't trigger a regen. Like I said in my post I lost my CAC pipe and drove the truck for about 50 miles give or take and it didn't cause my DPF to get full. I lost all boost but the truck still ran. It didn't have the power but ti still went down the road fine. I lost all boost because the rubber hose blew off the pipe not just a crack. I did however replace with Rudys as listed above. Hope you understand my edit. I thought you said DEF LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Any fault regarding the air management system can cause problems with the aftertreatment filters particularly boost leaks, MAF/MAP sensor faults. I have seen quite a few plugged DPF's in conjunction with failed CAC tubes - almost always on commercial F450/550 trucks where the operator is not the owner and drives the truck until it wont run anymore. Personal truck owners like yourselves usually do not wait. The first thing I would try is a manual regeneration and your dealer telling you they cant do one is BS unless there are conditions preventing it. I would have asked "WHY NOT?" There could be some other underlying concern going on.

The exhaust filter assembly with the base part number 5H270 has different coverage depending on the model year, GVW, Federal or California emissions and mileage. To know the real answer we would need your VIN, Mileage and state the vehicle is registered in to check on OASIS and determine what your coverage actually is... including any Ford ESP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 11-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Aren't there places that can chemically clean the filters? If the filter is clogged so bad that it has to be replaced, how can the engine keep on running? That would be akin to shoving a potato into the tail pipe.

https://www.bardahl.nl/en/in-the-spo.../dpf-cleaning/

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM

EGR blockage is only EGR valve flow blockage, it does not impact exhaust flow down the downpipe and through the exhaust. The sensors in exhaust are monitored and EGR blockage is detected by lack of proper gases and temperatures.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD2 View Post
Aren't there places that can chemically clean the filters? If the filter is clogged so bad that it has to be replaced, how can the engine keep on running? That would be akin to shoving a potato into the tail pipe.

Chemical cleaning is not recommended because that can cause more damage and poison the catalysts. Plugged DPF filters that are not damaged can be cleaned in an oven which bakes the substrate and blows it out with compressed air. These filter cleaners also address the ash that builds up over time. This is common on older larger trucks but not on your Ford pickups. Generally you hve to replace them. A plugged DPF usually cannot be cleaned using a manual regen because regen requires flow though the filter to work so, no or low flow means no regen. Also, the DPF in your 6.7L trucks is not serviceable because it is part of the entire exhaust filter assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
EGR blockage is only EGR valve flow blockage, it does not impact exhaust flow down the downpipe and through the exhaust. The sensors in exhaust are monitored and EGR blockage is detected by lack of proper gases and temperatures.

Who mentioned anything about EGR?
ACD2 likes this.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 11:22 AM

Damned if I know. Severe brain fart. I remember answering a comment on EGR cooler block. Was there a deleted comment? I am as puzzled as anyone..........

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Chemical cleaning is not recommended because that can cause more damage and poison the catalysts. Plugged DPF filters that are not damaged can be cleaned in an oven which bakes the substrate and blows it out with compressed air. These filter cleaners also address the ash that builds up over time. This is common on older larger trucks but not on your Ford pickups. Generally you hve to replace them. A plugged DPF usually cannot be cleaned using a manual regen because regen requires flow though the filter to work so, no or low flow means no regen. Also, the DPF in your 6.7L trucks is not serviceable because it is part of the entire exhaust filter assembly.

This is good to know.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in