I ordered my first brand new truck ever and have a question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I ordered my first brand new truck ever and have a question

Ordered a 2008 F250 blue XL with a few optional parts like cd player, stabilizer package,,,
They told me it will take 6 to 8 weeks to build this truck.....

I really wanted to put 18" or 20" factory wheels and tires on this truck but my dealer told me they wouldn't do it.

I ask you, if this truck is being custom built to my specs, why can't i have these rims and tires?

2008 F250 XL SC, 4x4, LB, SRW, bunch of options - ordered 8/1/07
chicks dig vinyl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Re: I ordered my first brand new truck ever and have a question

[ QUOTE ]
I ask you, if this truck is being custom built to my specs, why can't i have these rims and tires?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different trim levels have different options.

You ordered XL trim level, so the only wheels available are the standard 17" steel wheels.

Move up to the XLT trim level, and you can have 18" alloy wheels, and if your XLT is a 4x4 SuperCab or CrewCab, you can have 20" alloy wheels.

The FX4 trim level comes with 18" steel wheels, and 20" alloy wheels are optional.

The Lariat trim level comes with 18" alloy wheels, and the 20" jobbies are optional on 4x4s.

If you haven't already done it, download the 2008 F-250 Order guide from www.sunrisefordfleet.com

The Order Guide has all the ifs, ands and buts of what is optional and what each option requires.

As to the "Why", it's simply cost. Every option Ford offers costs them money in assembly line complexity, and publishing what's required with what, and in maintaining the automated databases used by dealers, customers, and others such as the car-price websites. Not many folks that want a "work truck" with XL trim will be wanting fancy wheels. So there wouldn't be many takers for such an option. So to reduce costs, Ford doesn't offer such an option with XL trim.

Most folks that want the fancy wheels will also want chrome bumpers, nice seat covers, and other fancy stuff, so they'll want at least the XLT trim pkg. So Ford makes the fancy wheels available with the XLT tim pkg. They expect enough orders for fancy wheels on XLT trucks that it makes the cost of having the option worthwhile.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

Just buy a set off of eBay.
I bought a set of Premium Chrome Clad wheels from an 08' FX4 delivered to my door for a grand.
I'll use them in the winter and save my 20's for the summer.
There are a bunch of wheel & tire sets available..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies...

At first, I wanted the XLT because it had all the options on it I wanted, but later found out that I couldn't get it with vinyl interior and rubber floor.

Basically, Ford doesn't/won't put the parts on I want.

chicks dig vinyl

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At first, I wanted the XLT because it had all the options on it I wanted, but later found out that I couldn't get it with vinyl interior and rubber floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no problem.

You won't have any problem finding someone with an XL work truck that would be thrilled to trade their XL plastic seats for your wonderful XLT cloth seats. The actual swap of the seats this time of year is about an hour's worth of sweating and stinking on your day off.

And the "rubber" floor covering is available from Ford parts for nominal cost. So simply remove the carpet and replace it with vinyl floor covering while you have the seats out to trade for the vinyl seats.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I never thought anyone would want a stock cloth seat. I personally can't stand them. I get electric shocks that throw a blue spark 2" off my fingers sometimes when sliding across cloth interior, and I work with a lot of electronics, lol.

The XLT came to 37K and the XL with all my options added on came to 30K out the door.

I just wish I could put some of those sweet 18" or 20" factory rim and tire options on my XL at the time of ordering.
I'm new here, so I don't even know if there is a classified section. Might find a set of rims and tires by the time my truck gets delivered. (6 to 8 weeks)

chicks dig vinyl

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new here, so I don't even know if there is a classified section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, there are "classified" forums. You must be signed in to see them, but then you must be signed in to post, too. After you sign in, click on "forums" in the major sections menu at the top of this page, then scroll down to the bottom of the forums index.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in