Questions about ordering a truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about ordering a truck

I am considering ordering an f-250 for myself in the near future (thanks to some of your suggestions) [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img] . I just wanted to see what was involved with that? What do I pay when ordering? How long does it usually take to get a custom ordered truck in? When/how can I use my X plan pin#? Am I still intitled to rebates...? It may seem to be a dumb question but I assume I order at the dealership? Any other things I should consider? thanks for your help.

2002 F-150 FX4 5.4 L
1988 F-250 7.3 L
1987 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L

"We must not look to government to solve our problems, government is the problem."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Re: Questions about ordering a truck

from my experiance it was 500 down and some rebates were limeted to inventory only so read carefully but I did read the x plan is ok for special orders IMHO oh and when I was looking it was 6 weeks to build Z

O6 King Ranch cc sb 4 inch lift ,35 Pro Comp,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console ,2x10 subs, xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual bilstein steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , up fitters added ,weather guard mats , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Marinco Mod ,Zoodad waste Fabtech traction bars, Some other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM

My Photos: (1)

Order at the dealership. Rebates are good for that day only. They have expiration dates but they can also go away before the expiration date (I lost a $500 rebate....expired 1/2/08 but went away in November). The dealer will have X-Plan pricing and mine didn't need any info from me. Get the ordering guide from the dealer or PM me and I'll email you mine. Took 5 weeks to get my truck after the order date.

2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD - this one's all stock
2008 F-250 King Ranch Chrome Edition PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 PM

I ordered my F-450, it took three months from order date to delivery. I did not have to put any money down to order, though I am a repeat buyer at this dealership(Sheehy Ford, Marlow Heights, commercial sales). I informed my salesperson up front that I had a X-plan pin#, one of the requirements of using a X-plan is that you have to inform the dealer before price is talked about. Rebates I received were those that were in effect on the day I actually took possesion, not the day that I ordered the truck. You can either buy off the lot,or if your salesperson will, he/she can get the truck you want from another local dealership. I wanted something unusual, that being a Lariat with manual transfer case/manual hubs, so I ordered my truck. Sure nice driving the truck off the lot with only 3 miles on the odometer, knowing some jackass did not previously take my new truck on a joyride.

2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grizzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What do I pay when ordering? </div></div>

It varies all over the board. Anywhere from nothing if the dealer knows you and your family from generations back, and you have a good credit rating, and then you order a "normal" vehicle that he would love to have in stock.

But if you want a truck that only a mother could love, and the dealer doesn't want it in stock because it would be too hard to sell to somebody else, then he'll probably want a healthy deposit equal to a normal down payment of 10 to 20 percent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does it usually take to get a custom ordered truck in? </div></div>

Most common is 6 or 7 weeks. Some make it in 5 weeks and some take 8 weeks. More than 8 weeks is relatively rare during "normal" production runs. The assembly plant usually closes for two weeks in the winter and two weeks in the summer. so if you order before that break, then add a coupla weeks to the "normal" time. Like right now, the winter break is probably scheduled for about the same time as the school "winter" or Christmas break. So if you order right now, then "normal" would be 8 to 10 weeks. But if you wait until after school cranks back up in January, then the 6 or 7 week schedule would be "normal".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When/how can I use my X plan pin#? </div></div>

Talk only to a manager, such as a fleet manager, new truck manager, new car manager, general manager or dealer. don't waste time talking to lot lizzards or salespersons.

Don't mention price until after you have your X-Plan PIN in hand. Then the only discussion should be "Will you sell or order me a new F-250 under the X-Plan?" If the manager says yes, you are through negotiating price and ready to order your vehicle.

Right now, download the order guide from http://www.sunrisefordfleet.com/ - go through it with a fine-tooth comb and decide exactly what you are going to order and what you are not going to order. Then make a list of all the specs and options to make it easy for the manager to key your order into the computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Am I still intitled to rebates...? </div></div>

Yes, but only the "national" and "public" rebates effective on the day you take delivery of the new vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may seem to be a dumb question but I assume I order at the dealership? </div></div>

If you don't already have a good buddy that's a manager at a local dealership, and you don't have a trade-in or lease return, then I'd order from Bobby Williams at that website above where you downloaded the order guide. Bobby will take excellent care of you during that several-week wait for the new truck to be delivered. Bobby can have it delivered to any Ford dealer in your neck of the woods, or you can go to the Los Angeles area to take delivery. Your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any other things I should consider? </div></div>

If you don't order from Bobby, then put on your list that you insist on a priced DORA be given to you not more than two business days after your order is processed into the Ford computer. Get that agreed to up front, before you order the truck. The DORA means "Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgment". It a list of exactly what the dealer ordered for you, and the prices for all the options and other items on the order. Double-check that DORA against your order to be sure the dealer ordered exactly what you wanted. Plus the DORA should include the X-Plan price, so you'll know how to arrange financing for the date of delivery.

The dealer will also have a copy of the "Dealer Order Confirmation". But do not accept that in place of the DORA. The confirmation tells you what the dealer ordered. The DORA tells you what Ford is building for you. Subtle, but important, difference.

But realize the X-Plan price does not include TT&L, and that you must subtract estimated rebates from it. I say "estimated" rebates, because rebates are not a sure thing until the day of delivery. On the day of delivery, the dealerperson will look in his computer's Vincent system to view the rebates and other incentives that apply to your location on the day of delivery.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokeyWren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Talk only to a manager, such as a fleet manager, new truck manager, new car manager, general manager or dealer. don't waste time talking to lot lizzards or salespersons.

</div></div>

Dont talk to a lot lizzard? I would if they are the high class type. I have seen a few with good figures and they wear those short skirts. Just make sure they do not talk you into something you will regret later. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif[/img]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 PM
TLG

CaptSkup- I follow these forums on a daily basis. I read numerous posts while you anxiously waited for your truck. I'm sure one of them was a post about you taking a 30 mile or so test drive long after you ordered your truck. Does that fall in the catagory of "knowing some jackass did not take my truck on a joyride?"

2014 F350 6.7 CC
2011 F350 6.7 CC ordered 3/25/delivered 5/5 traded
2008 F350 CC LB. 6.4 Lariet SRW traded
2005 F250 6.0 traded
2003 F250 7.3 traded
2001 F250 V10 traded
2013 Cedar Creek Silver Back 33RL
2013 HD Heritage Softail
2008 HD Softail Deluxe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CaptSkup- I follow these forums on a daily basis. I read numerous posts while you anxiously waited for your truck. I'm sure one of them was a post about you taking a 30 mile or so test drive long after you ordered your truck. Does that fall in the catagory of "knowing some jackass did not take my truck on a joyride?" </div></div>

Thats a good one there, TLG.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timurray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...They have expiration dates but they can also go away before the expiration date (I lost a $500 rebate....expired 1/2/08 but went away in November).</div></div>
I've never heard of a rebate "going away" before it's posted expiration date. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif[/img] There had to be a misunderstanding, or someone wasn't being straight-up with you. The dealer may have mistakenly informed you about rebates that were actually not applicable to you, or your vehicle. He may have just been covering his backside with his story of rebates "going away".

The other alternative was that the dealer was pocketing the rebate, but that's hard to hide. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to turn-over a rebate by signing a release to the dealer.

NEW - 2008 F350 Lariat, CC, 6.4PSD, 4x4, SRW, SB, 2-tone Black Clearcoat w/Pueblo Gold accent, Nav, DVD, Camera. The only thing I didn't order was a stearing wheel, but Ford threw it in for free
. Delivered: Jan 19, 2008.
TOWING - 2006 Montana Mountaineer 5er, 319BHD, 12140 GVWR
SOLD - 2004 F250 Sport CC SB 6.0 4x2 SRW, other than the turbo outlet hose blowing off at 60mph while pulling 5er, never a complaint. Did have to peel myself off headliner while navigating to a full and complete stop. Fond memories!
PreSuper Duties - 4 F150s (work a-haulers), 1 Silverado (yeah, yeah, I know) & 1 Plymouth Arrow (everyone's gotta start somewhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in