The Diesel Stop banner

6.7 deleted tuner

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ACD2 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 13 superduty with a 6.7. I bought it used already has an egr, dpf, and def delete but I don’t know who did, what tune, or if the computer was just flashed. I am looking into getting a tuner to improve fuel mileage and a little power boost. I’m interested in the sct Livewire but just wanting to know if that is the route to go and if it is a mistake given I don’t know how it was deleted?

#2 ·
Well, I hesitate to reply, but no one else has assisted. I hesitate because I have limited knowledge. First, you should make every effort to get in touch with the person from whom you bought the truck. There should be a 'Load Me First' program or something similar that programs the PCM for the deletes. After that, you program your tune, and the trucks stock program is stored in the tuner, you may need that in the future. If the PCM is flashed, it will return the truck to stock and it will not run with the deletes. Anyway, that's my limited knowledge and I may be off on a few things.

#3 ·
Not too many people like the LiveWire but run what you want. It is already tuned, but that's not any issue. Your "new" tuning device should be just fine to use as it will "think" the current files are "stock" so it will replace them with the new tuning files.

If that doesn't suit you, find a shop with a Ford IDS device. Make sure they program the truck with the Ford "As built files". This will return the truck back to OEM files, to which you will just overwrite with the new tuning device.

#4 ·
Thanks Heavy, I learned a couple things of things today.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#5 ·
If you want a tune that is better than the one thats in your truck than you have to take it to a shop that specializes in diesel tuning otherwise you will just end up with the same kind of tune you already have. You cant get more power and better fuel millage because to make more power you have to add more fuel. More air will not add more power. It would be best to find the guy who tuned the truck in the first place to get the stock tune. This is the reason not to buy a modified truck. You never know what you are getting. Good luck

#6 ·
You cant get more power and better fuel millage because to make more power you have to add more fuel. More air will not add more power.
This isn't 100% accurate. As I have over 100k miles of fuel mileage data to back that up. Will "everyone" get the same results?? That's the subjective part. There's more than one factor that will show the effects of what tuning and files will do for your truck. Not to mention where you live, how you drive, your habits..ALL play a part.
In the end tuning changes more than just adding fuel alone. When you adjust timing, add fuel, adjust transmission shifting etc etc etc...it all adds power with MPG gains.

>>>To clarify something I posted above: The PCM/TCM use "calibration files" versus "As built" files. Using the IDS and the calibration files should allow the PCM/TCM to be returned to stock programming this will be as it was loaded from Ford the day it was built.

If you want a tune that is better than the one thats in your truck than you have to take it to a shop that specializes in diesel tuning otherwise you will just end up with the same kind of tune you already have.
^^^^Which is why a preferred method is to return his truck back to Ford stock calibration files. Then use whatever tuning device and support he desires. The same kind of tuning is subjective....The only way that might happen is if by random chance he chose the same company as the previous owner.

Reactions: larrgh
#7 ·
>>>To clarify something I posted above: The PCM/TCM use "calibration files" versus "As built" files. Using the IDS and the calibration files should allow the PCM/TCM to be returned to stock programming this will be as it was loaded from Ford the day it was built.

Just to further clarify what Heavy said, the As-Built data is used for the modules other than the PCM/ECU.

Modules that you use AB data include but not limited to the APIM, Steering Column Control Module, Instrument Panel Cluster, APM, Heater Seat Module, HVAC, etc.

The "AB" data is what one changes to get the Exhaust Filter Screen, Bambi Mode, DRL's, Dark Car Mode, etc.

#8 · (Edited)
Actually the As Built part of the programming has to do with the configuration of the modules depending on how the vehicle was equipped. The calibration can not be returned to the original unless there have been no updates. When flashing a Ford module it can only be programmed to the latest calibration. Most modules are flashed individually with a few exceptions. Most of the time the PCM/TCM are flashed at the same time. On the 6.0 trucks you had to flash the PCM/TCM & FICM at the same time. When tuning a 6.7 truck the calibration is changed on the PCM & TCM although most tuners give you options to alter the As Built files for things like tire size and gear ratio.

#9 ·
That is what I said about the AB data. It is totally separate from the calibration files for the PCM/ECU and module calibration. What the AB data does can be seen in this spreadsheet many of us developed on another forum.

FORScan 2016 Super Duty - Google Sheets

There can be updates to the calibration of a module that is totally separate from the AB data values.

When one talks about taking a truck back to stock, it is usually the original calibration files stored on the tuner. When one "goes back to stock" via a dealer, then yes, you usually have the latest and want the latest calibration files. This does update areas of the PCM/ECU that the tuner might not change.

In fact, I still have the V91, V96-V105 calibration files stored on my computer. So, in theory, I could go back closer to "stock" than one might assume even though I would not want to regress that far back.

There are calibration files for modules such as the APIM or APM that can update the firmware of the modules.

#10 ·
I bought a 2012 that was deleted, but included the SCT X4 tuner, with the stock tune. My only issue is I have no idea who wrote the tune for it. The good news is that since I have the tuner, it is just a matter of finding a tune maker that can make a tune for the SCT.

A truck that has been deleted, tuned but does not have a tuner isn't a complete bust though. An unmarried tuner is all that is needed to install a new tune written for the truck, that is as long as the tune maker doesn't require a copy of the stock tune to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.