Adding a Cold Air Intake - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I GOT YOUR FIRE FOR YA!!

Like every thing in life the answer is IT DEPENDS!! For the most part cetane boosters are not needed but in the past some parts of the country had issues with low centane (wisconsin area was one if I remember right). Additives like anti-gel are great to have around in the fall or if you get a unexpected cold snap 30-40 degrees lower then normal temps in the winter. Remember fuel is blended for the temps your area is expected to see, a truck filled in Aug may jell in November. Real cold air intakes work ask any pilot (carb heat decreases RPM by 100 or more). Non of my Diesel fuel sits long enough for a stabilizer but the mogas does, I use Sta-bul for all my gas engines that sit for 7 mo over the winter. For the most part I just fill and go but I keep some snake oil handy for appropriate times or emergencies.

I think most of the effects seen from the COLD AIR intakes are simply from improved airflow. The HP numbers are usually noted at redline and how many of us run at redline all day long?

Heavy Assault
That is the type of solid information we need!! Please do post the info after the summer.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Is that what Ford_Doctor just said?
No, that's not what he said. I am wrong to infer what anybody says. I apologize for that.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillippeterson View Post
No, that's not what he said. I am wrong to infer what anybody says. I apologize for that.

I failed to add the smiley emoticon to indicate I was playing along.

I like the additive debates because there is no definitive answer and solid arguments have been presented for all sides.

I hope Spring has arrived up your way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:59 AM

My Photos: (8)
How do you do that emoticon thing I was looking for it,
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:30 AM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
I like the additive debates because there is no definitive answer and solid arguments have been presented for all sides.
Quote:
Like every thing in life the answer is IT DEPENDS!!

To add to this: It does depend. If you don't use any additives then you never know what will happen. If you use only ONE specific brand then you will never know what happens when using any other brand.

All this even applies to the fuel station you select. If you just use one brand (Shell, BP, etc etc) you never know what may happen using another brand (Murphy, QT, WaWa, etc etc). Yes, one does need to weight the fuel quality provided by the station. I'm not saying use known bad fuel stations "just to see what happens".

I will say this in my area of travels I have used quite a few different brands of fuel. Pretty consistent results tell me where to refuel. When you get fuel from a previously "unknown" source and your MPG jumps 1-2MPG you start asking yourself questions. I'm fairly convinced as a Wal-Mart/Murphy station I use has something "in the mix" that gives me awesome fuel numbers. I'm testing the stations in my local area to see what happens. I may even make it a point to try using Murphy on my next trip South just to see if the gains are held up. There is a station a ways away from me that uses 50+Cetane diesel. I haven't been able to get there for a test run so that may happen over the next few months.

Not trying to change this to a MPG post but people need to get out of the singular mindsets of the past. Embrace the options, see what happens.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in