Buying already deleted - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By Stroking it
  • 1 Post By ACD2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying already deleted

Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a new truck and was wanting some input. I have been hearing about the tuning companies and such being raided and the epa throwing a fit. Im in south texas and found a truck that has already been fully deleted, just kinda worried about what the epa is going to be doing next and what kind of stuff I should watch out for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Does the truck come with the tuner? They should include the tuner as part of the truck. If not, walk away.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM

What he said about the tuner. If it doesn't include it, don't buy it.

The question isn't so much the truck, what's done is done, but emissions testing is the real question. Find out if your local requires diesel emissions tests, or if there is anything lined up in the future for it to happen. This is the only thing that will get you into trouble with a fully deleted diesel. My truck is fully deleted, but since my state and local only requires a safety inspection, they won't bother testing it or even care that the DPF is missing. If I were to move across the road however, then I do need to be concerned since they require testing for emissions.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks, I don’t think emissions checks will be brought into texas for awhile or at least hopefully not
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 AM

My problem with modified trucks you never know what was done or why. Most of the trucks on the road today never have a problem with emission systems on these trucks. I have 64,000 miles on mine without a single problem with emissions at all. Some guys say that it makes the truck get better fuel millage but I don't believe you can get more power without adding fuel. Also if you tow with the truck it will blow soot all over what you are towing. There are plenty of trucks out there that aren't modified and you can personalize it how you like and you will know exactly what you have when you are done.
larrgh likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Some guys say that it makes the truck get better fuel millage but I don't believe you can get more power without adding fuel.
So you need to go study up on the material on how combustion works, then understand how timing in a motor works.. Adding air alone could gain more "power/heat".....ever blow on hot coals?? See how they seem to "brighten in glow"......all you did was add air.

Quote:
Also if you tow with the truck it will blow soot all over what you are towing.
Not 100% true....yes there could be more "soot" when towing VERY heavy or other conditions, but it's not going to blow soot ALL the time. ^^^^See the above

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Heavy step back from the fire. It may catch all that hair on fire.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Only time I saw anything come out the pipe was when I really got on it from low speed when towing this past weekend. There is very little soot at all on the rear quarter, unlike what my 99 had all over it. It also got right around 13 MPG while towing, 19 when empty, so I would say it is doing pretty good deleted, also no DEF needed.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Sold due to neglect
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:25 PM

Kinda off-topic, but wanted to give you an example of your point about the emissions police... I bought my '11 new in 2010 and did my own delete and use an SCT GTX. The truck has 66K miles and threw a DTC this weekend and when I went to read the code the SCT gave an error message - cannot read DTCs. When I contacted SCT via chat and outlined my mods - boom, they gave me the "we are a compliant company and cannot assist you" and abruptly ended the chat session. Long story, but due to the Consent Decree you will get zero support from SCT depending on your mods. I deleted my system due to a plugged EGR cooler and an assortment of other EGR/DPF issues not for performance gains. My soot output and mpg is similar to what ACD2 outlined in his post.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

See thats the kind of stuff that has me a little worried with the tuning companies that can’t help you out anymore.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:52 AM

The EPA has been watching these companies and just like smog shops that used to pass cars without putting them on the machine lost there business. It's the same for tuning shops. You can tune the truck for a little more power without removing the smog stuff than thats all you will get.It's been this way for cars for a while and now it's getting around to trucks. I have a 07 GT500 with a pulley and CAI tune but all the sensors are still functioning as they should. I am well over 600 HP now. So you don't have to delete to get more power. Sure there are those who remove the EGR stuff so they dont have to fix it and I am not sure why this is happening because my 15 has no problem at all. I have 64,000 miles.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:54 PM

To restore to factory is a big PITA too unless you have the parts that were removed. If someone else did it, then not knowing what was removed is an even bigger issue. Pretty sure if I hd to return mine to stock, the DEF system would have to be replaced, who knows what the heck is in that tank or for how long.

Sold due to neglect
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:40 PM

That is tough one, many variables...but I dont think I would delete any of the newer trucks at least Ford has finally figured it out the emissions BS. My Duramax was pure emissions issues and problems from day 1, also were they place the UREA tank is just a bad idea for off road. Anyhow it was bought back from Chevy. I have not had any emissions issues yet...Fingers crossed. With my tuner I can maintain / engage manual Regens or keep it auto as is which is handy. But I also use the truck to tow which helps keep DPF soot cleaned out. Everybody has the preferences and this has always been a big debate/topic... I see the benefits of it though. My SCT is emissions friendly and dealer friendly too. I keep it on the low setting and even that is too much to be honest. But she get better mpgs with that tune so why not! Good luck with your purchase and hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do. I think in Texas you will be fine though if you delete. Just my opinions.

'18 F-350 Lariat 6.7l | afe Intake| SCT Tuner
afe 5" DPF-back exhaust
Custom Built DD Tune + 60hp./125tq.
'18 2458rfe Jayco Rocky Mountain Edition
'18 Durango R/T | Mopar Intake & Exhaust| SCT Tuner
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 10:26 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwieding_97 View Post
Okay thanks, I donít think emissions checks will be brought into texas for awhile or at least hopefully not
Harris County (Houston) used to have emissions checks. I donít live there so Iím not 100% sure if they still do, but I canít imagine they would stop doing it.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 11:46 AM

The one downside to deleting the system is the stink. My truck is awful with the stink. Since no one will tune for delete now, I am pretty much stuck with what it has in it too. Cold start up leaves a cloud, and if I start in the garage, it will leave the aroma all day. So that is something else to think about.

Sold due to neglect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in