EGR delete questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete questions

Finishing this up and just have a few questions. The butterfly valve just stays unplugged? Seems odd, I assume it is normally open? Would it flow better if you replaced this section of air hose with a straight piece?

Also, the instructions I found say nothing about the EGT sensor. From other posts is seems most are using a sensor from the DPF, why not use the one right there in the crossover exhaust pipe on the engine that appears to be of much better quality?

Thank you for your assistance.

2012 F350, 4X4, SC, LB, 6.7, Lariat, 3.55, 5th wheel, PTO, Lariat Int. Pack., etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, need to update - took hose off and valve is indeed normally open. Next problem tho - the intake system is chock FULL of crap! Thick layer of dark grey/black grainy deposits cover everything. Bottom of hose has layer of black (engine?) oil in it. NOT what I was expecting to see!! This is the intake system downstream of the filter, it should be pristine, where is all this crap coming from?!

2012 F350, 4X4, SC, LB, 6.7, Lariat, 3.55, 5th wheel, PTO, Lariat Int. Pack., etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I recall the EGR valve opening and closing on demand from the PCM. The oil residue you see after the intercooler is from the CCV.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok, the oil is from the crankcase, makes sense (sort of, if we're in the universe where running used engine oil thru your intake is considered a good idea) but does that mean the oil separator is poorly designed and needs to be replaced with something better? So is the other crap coating everything in the intake system from the exhaust gasses that are run back thru? If so, that certainly makes the case for for doing a delete when the truck is new regardless of warranty issues.

Just a thought - the exhaust that comes out the tailpipe is "clean" and already cooled, correct? What about running THAT exhaust back up and thru the engine?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:38 AM

Are you trying to add humor here or just venting about emissions systems?

The CCV "oil mist" is interacting with the EGR cooler to produce the clumps of soot in the intake manifold areas from what I can determine.

The exhaust isn't cooled in anyway unless we are in a universe that says 500*F+ is cool. Not to mention the regen process will bump that up to like 1200*F+.
ford_doctor likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I think he was relating the carbon inside of the intake which comes "dirty" from the right exhaust manifold via the EGR system and comparing it to the virtually soot free exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe. No, it is not "cooled" at that point but it would virtually eliminate EGR cooler core face plugging and carbon inside of the intake. If you recall Caterpillar tried that on their ACERT engines but CAT struggled with emissions. If I am not mistaken you and I may have lightly discussed that system once. Doing this on a DPF equipped engine would be difficult with regard to meeting emissions requirements particularly during active regeneration and dealing with the added heat would be my guess... not to mention the added cost of the extra piping and heat mitigation versus any real benefit. I am sure most manufacturers might have tested this or probed the concept.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Check engine light on

I keep getting a check engine light and when I read the code it shows EGT sensors. Vehicle has been in Ford shop 7 times for the issue and keeps happening. Ford help line is useless. 2013 F550 on a Thor Motorhome. 6.7 Diesel, zero mods to engine. Sure, Ford has extended the warranty on the EGT/NOX sensors to 12 years and 120K miles but that does not help if vehicle spends more time in shop than using it. Yes ** 7 times it has been in the shop for the same issue. I have called the Ford useless HELP line and "nothing" has helped. I finally tried a local mechanic and hope that finally fixes the issue. HELP ** SUGGESTIONS. Jerry in Texas 'bout ready to try anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	124921  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:33 PM

@Jerry7111 in Texas 'bout ready to try anything.

What does your issue have to do with EGR deletes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in