Non Deleted 6.7 What Turner and why? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cagedtoy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Non Deleted 6.7 What Turner and why?

2013 6.7 bone stock. 70,000 miles. Been looking at Dp tuner vs Ez lynk vs tyrant vs PPei vs edge vs bully dog. It's hard to figure out who is who in 6.7 zoo. Dp and tyrant have good reps, cant talk to tyrant but Dp is always answering his phone.

The forums aren't what they use to be for sure. I have had three 7.3 and now a 6.7.

Just looking to monitor when towing 5th wheel 10,000 lbs.

What's worked best for you and why?

Thanks in advance!

New Rig as of 11-2012 99.5 Super Cab Long bed only 77,000 Build date 3-03-99 so it has 99.5 7.3 with early 99 running gear. Edge CTS with Att.

Sold 99.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab 215,000 Ts Tunner, Edge with Att. 4" MBPR Turbo Back no Cat Wicked Wheel rolling on 235 75 16. Sold

Trailer Queen: 84 Toy 4Runner One Ton's Rolling on H1's with 42 Iroks Full Hydro Marlin Crawler 4:7-1 gears with Duall cases. 4.3 Vortech turbo 350 Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:34 AM

I like the Edge CTS/CTS2 for monitoring. I currently have the CTS2 but have owned the CTS also. The CTS2 screen allows you to monitor 12 items verses the CTS 9 items.

If you want, you can pay a fee (I think $250) to add tuning for a truck with a DPT. I bought mine used a few years ago and get the popup about adding the programming each time I check for the latest PID update.

The CTS/CTS2 will allow you to manual regens if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_104343.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	127992  

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Last edited by larrgh; 10-04-2019 at 05:36 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

The one gripe about the Edge on the 6.7 is how long it takes to boot up. My brother has one on his 14 and it seems like it's taken forever to load. He ran it on 2 ( his has 3 levels) and pops codes. Running a S&B intake system (dry) he has not seen any mpg increase. Trying all 3 different settings, we both use the Fuelly app to track mpg so it makes it easy to know what your exact mpg are. I find my dash read out is super close.

New Rig as of 11-2012 99.5 Super Cab Long bed only 77,000 Build date 3-03-99 so it has 99.5 7.3 with early 99 running gear. Edge CTS with Att.

Sold 99.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab 215,000 Ts Tunner, Edge with Att. 4" MBPR Turbo Back no Cat Wicked Wheel rolling on 235 75 16. Sold

Trailer Queen: 84 Toy 4Runner One Ton's Rolling on H1's with 42 Iroks Full Hydro Marlin Crawler 4:7-1 gears with Duall cases. 4.3 Vortech turbo 350 Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedtoy View Post
2013 6.7 bone stock. 70,000 miles. Been looking at Dp tuner vs Ez lynk vs tyrant vs PPei vs edge vs bully dog. It's hard to figure out who is who in 6.7 zoo. Dp and tyrant have good reps, cant talk to tyrant but Dp is always answering his phone.

The forums aren't what they use to be for sure. I have had three 7.3 and now a 6.7.

Just looking to monitor when towing 5th wheel 10,000 lbs.

What's worked best for you and why?

Thanks in advance!
I use a SCT/BDX/BD Handheld. It is not on demand tuner but comes with 3 tunes plus up can store customized 7 more. It is flash style but saves the stock truck tune to restore when needed. It is emissions friendly and my dealer does not care about it. Updates via wifi to keep it updated and has other features too, I just use the lowest setting but have had few customs ones built. I use it DD and No issues using for about 3 k. It does want an intake though for extra air. But when pedal is at the floor it sounds like a damn Jet! I have ran into issues with the on demand ones and just went with this one to try out and no problems on start ups or random lock ups and been great this far. But things changes fast so? Let us know what you decide!

'18 F-350 Lariat 6.7l | afe Intake| SCT Tuner
afe 5" DPF-back exhaust
Custom Built DD Tune + 60hp./125tq.
'18 2458rfe Jayco Rocky Mountain Edition
'18 Durango R/T | Mopar Intake & Exhaust| SCT Tuner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 AM

I( pull a 13,000 5th wheel and don't watch anything but the road. If something is wrong the truck will warn you. I tow heavier than you but I have not seen a single CEL while on the road. I think guys get this stuff than start to worry about it. The new trucks are night and day different than the older trucks. What used to be normal is no longer the case with the 6.7 . I just get in it and drive. I do the maintenance when the truck tells me to. Change the fuel filters every 3 oil changes. Add DEF when the message comes on the screen for the 500 miles till limp. I inspect under the hood when I dust off the motor. Ya my motor is clean. I clean it every ti9me I wash the truck. Its almost as clean as the day i bought it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys! So far I have done the following. I purchased a refurbished Superchip flashpac 5 for $170....the tuner has 3 settings heavy tow, milage/ light tow and performance. Milage seems to work the best. My local Pep boys is closing down their retail stores and I picked up a K&N intake for 50% off. I found a dry filter that attaches to the kit, but honestly the oiled one has not left much oil in the tub as a matter of fact the factory intake had more oil in it than what I'm seeing now. It's only been 6 000 miles but i believe the filter came from the k&n pre oiled and it barely had any oil on it. I also picked up a Edge cts2 81430 at the same retailer for 70% off...I couldn't pass that up. Wow talk about monitoring it's great plus I can manually regen. The last upgrade is the xtreme diesel throttle booster. It's not what I was hoping for, the throttle lag from WOT did not change at all. It only gives you more response when your already driving. I have the adjustable one and when it's on max without a tuner you can actually chirp your tires.

The fuel mileage as of now is basically the same as before. I use the Fuely app to track my mileage.

Oh one more thing the speedo is off by 3 miles. That means for every 94 mile I travel my truck reads 100. It seems like this is a common problem with these trucks as well. If the warranty is a Milage warranty then FordMoc wins.

The CTS2 has the correct speed, I used an app on my iPhone and Samsung (they read the same based on GPS) and the confirmed that the Edge is accurate.

Throttle booster
Superchip 1845
K&N intake 57-2582
Edge cts2 81430

I'm still open to a different tuner but for now I'm happy with the performance. These trucks are amazing stock but man put a few things on them and they are animals.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:43 PM

My Photos: (16)
I have an Edge Evolution CTS for gauge monitoring; it also has undeleted tunes. Edge upgraded it with a CTS2, but my CTS works fine and I can't see the cost of new and improved. I have to disagree with a few of the above posts. Towing heavy loads with a diesel (or gas) needs gauges. Pulling a long, steep hill with a load, I want to know if I am approaching 1200 on EGT's. I don't want to be notified when it goes into limp mode. Other critical areas are coolant and oil temps. To tow without being informed, for me, is risky behavior. I have it mounted, along with my TPMS, just to the left of the steering wheel and they are easily monitored, without taking eyes off the road. A quick glance is all it takes.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeap different strokes for different folks.

On another note I can now see when my truck is regenning and I did a manual regen on Saturday and less than 200 miles it's in regen mode?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 PM

Is there an EGT sensor already on the truck the SCT can read? I haven't been able to find it yet if it does.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD2 View Post
Is there an EGT sensor already on the truck the SCT can read? I haven't been able to find it yet if it does.
Yes, not only 1 but 4 different locations. Pre dpf, post dpf. From everything I have read Egt 1 will give you a good idea of is needed when towing.
ACD2 likes this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:27 PM

OP: Can you clarify? You indicate you are looking at tuners -- and you just want to watch whats going on while towing.

Good info from jarebi (post 4).

Tuners are usually used to install *tunes* that will increase HP and Torque. Gauges will give you feedback information as will some devices as mentioned by Larrgh (post 2).

A tuner is just hardware that communicates with your OBD II port on the tow vehicle. The tune is what makes the alterations to setpoints and values to improve performance through the PCM..

DP Tuner used to use SCT tuner and he and his wife write the tunes resulting from tests, equipment and read values of performance including EGTs.

I'm not familiar with the newer vehicles (I have a 2001 7.3L with automatic trans). I had to add a sensor in the exhaust and transmission to display the temp. Now days it may be included through the OBD II port. I have a 40/80/120HP tunes and use the 80 almost all the time.

Warning: If your vehicle goes in for service and gets the PCM reflashed you will lose your tune and will need to contact DP Tuners to replace them. You need to return the program to stock prior to service just in case. The reason is to prevent anyone from using the tunes on multiple vehicles.

If you just want information you can use gauges or the display as shown above in post 2. If you want performance improvements a tuner might be the right answer. Jody at DP has been around a long time and has/had a good reputation. I love mine and don't want to drive the truck without it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceawittmeier View Post
OP: Can you clarify? You indicate you are looking at tuners -- and you just want to watch whats going on while towing.

Good info from jarebi (post 4).

Tuners are usually used to install *tunes* that will increase HP and Torque. Gauges will give you feedback information as will some devices as mentioned by Larrgh (post 2).

A tuner is just hardware that communicates with your OBD II port on the tow vehicle. The tune is what makes the alterations to setpoints and values to improve performance through the PCM..

DP Tuner used to use SCT tuner and he and his wife write the tunes resulting from tests, equipment and read values of performance including EGTs.

I'm not familiar with the newer vehicles (I have a 2001 7.3L with automatic trans). I had to add a sensor in the exhaust and transmission to display the temp. Now days it may be included through the OBD II port. I have a 40/80/120HP tunes and use the 80 almost all the time.

Warning: If your vehicle goes in for service and gets the PCM reflashed you will lose your tune and will need to contact DP Tuners to replace them. You need to return the program to stock prior to service just in case. The reason is to prevent anyone from using the tunes on multiple vehicles.

If you just want information you can use gauges or the display as shown above in post 2. If you want performance improvements a tuner might be the right answer. Jody at DP has been around a long time and has/had a good reputation. I love mine and don't want to drive the truck without it.

Side note on this. You don't "lose" the tune. You still have a copy of it on your PC and in the email it is sent(depending on the tuner), what happens is it causes the tuning device to stop working since it fails the checksums when reading the PCM. If that happens you have to get it unlocked by the manufacturer of the tuner. So if it is an SCT, and it is married to the truck, but the dealer reflashed the PCM with a stock tune, when you plug in to update the tune, since the stock tune is stored in the tuners memory and the checksum in the truck no longer matches the tuner, it will assume you are trying to load the tune into another truck, that and your stock tune cannot be put back on the truck.

Always return to stock when the truck is in for service just to be safe.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post

The CTS/CTS2 will allow you to manual regens if needed.
I looked at you picture and have a few questions and or observations on my end since installing my CTS2.

I see your dpfsoot level was around 2.82

For some reason my truck will regen right around that mark.

Now that I can see when it regens its happening between 100 and 200 miles. I do drive city for most of my miles.

I started a log on my fuelly app and will have exact miles in a few months but just wanted to throw that out there.

What level are you guys seeing regens start and end?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in