The Diesel Stop banner

Oil Change Question

12K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jasonmt 
#1 · (Edited)
2011 F450 Superduty 6.7L
When should I make my first oil change? I am changing to the amsoil and does anyone know the Amsoil filter number or what would be the best filter to use?

#2 ·
I have just gone over 4000 on my original oil.

#5 ·
The transmission and rear end is already synthetic. Best out there in my opinion. I am sure the engine oil is semi synthetic. I just don't see a reason to change from Ford's oil. They designed it and built it and they stand behind it.

#6 · (Edited)
Let me check into the filter # for you. IMHO, the Amsoil Ea Absolute Efficiency or Donaldson Endurance filters are some of the best out there.

2011's have not been added to the Amsoil online look-up guide yet. You will want to run either the AMSOIL CJ-4 5W-40 (DEO) or CJ-4 15W-40 (DME).

** At this time, AMSOIL is recommending changing oil at the OEM suggested change intervals due to fuel dilution issues caused by the EPA mandated emission systems & DPFs of 2007 and newer diesel engines, specifically the Ford 6.4L, Dodge 6.7L, and GM 6.6L. You may go longer with oil analysis. We condemn an oil if it has greater than 5% fuel dilution, and recommend it be changed.

Technical Service Bulletin is Here

The TSB addresses the Ford 6.4L, Dodge 6.7L, and GM 6.6L Only (2007-2010). I will also check to see if the DPF fuel dilution issue is an issue with the new 2011 Ford 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I do not believe it is, but I will verify.

AMSOIL does have better Shear Stability than most other oils, and you will be protected better. Shear stability results.

Email me if I can supply you with a wholesale factory-direct quote. It will be my pleasure to assist you with wholesale pricing on filters, oil, diff, and tranny fluid. Wholesale is about 25% less than the retail prices you'll see on the Amsoil website.

#8 · (Edited)
...you should change oil 1000 to mile for the first maintainance.
Probably not true... check your manual on the change intervals, and go longer, if you have a sample tested and analyzed. Oil analysis is an inexpensive service, and let's you know what's going on with your oil and engine.

Oil Analyzers and Blackstone are two of the most popular services.

#11 ·
The fact that it's there doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's a part of the normal wear of your truck, and changing your oil sooner rather than later is only going to cost you $60 plus time and not benefit you in any way, shape, or form. After all, your owner's manual didn't tell you to change it at the first 1000 miles did it?

Really. Your manual tells you when to change the oil. Unless you're just probing everyone for their oil change intervals for the sake of it, it's not like it's a mystery.

People talk about MILES all the time with these trucks, and it surprises me that no one jumps in and says that you're all wrong. With diesel trucks, you have to watch your engine hours too.

#10 ·
Currently, AMSOIL does not have an AMSOIL Ea Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter for this 6.7L... YET. We will. I may be able to cross to a WIX, which you can also get thru AMSOIL at Wholesale. Let me know. I would at least need the the existing filter # to do a cross.

#13 ·
It would be great if Ford would add a "miles left till oil change" feature to the LCD. My BMW had that and it was very helpful. I am at 5700 miles on mine and don't know if I have another 500 or 5000 miles left.

#16 ·
The only place to get a filter at this time is MOTORCRAFT. The following is another post I made.

My new 6.7 diesel manual says----"Your vehicle does not need an extensive break in" Basically it says to vary speed 1000 miles and not tow for 1st 500.

Then it says----"Make sure you use the the specified oil by checking the engine oil specification chart". In that chart it says for severe service, towing/hot/cold/dust/ideling to use 5/40 CJ4.

Then it says --- "do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils for the first few thousand miles of operation, since these additives may prevent piston ring seating"

My personal decision is to change my original oil at about 3000 (@ 1900 now) miles to my regularly used Rotella 5/40 synthetic and call it a day. I pull a 15,000 5ver and live in a ski resort at 7000 ft on a dirt road. Severe service as far as I am concerned. My thought,--- the manual says to "make sure you are using the specified oil" it does not say after a specific mileage to change so I would think that if after the first 500 miles, you where going to be towing most of the time, it may mean to change immediately to 5/40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.