The Diesel Stop banner

Tune writers

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ACD2 
#1 ·
Are there any good tune writers available anymore? I know PIP is out of business and KEM is not really that good. My buddy is looking for just 2 good tunes for a deleted 2012 6.7 for towing and daily driver, that will provide good overall performance and hopefully better fuel economy.

#3 · (Edited)
LOL, where do you people come from. I asked a very simple question, hopefully to be answered by someone that knows a little something about deleting and tuning. If you're satisfied with your truck, that's great. Some have valid reasons for modifications and are not looking for advice about gearshift buttons and mustangs.

#4 ·
Most tunes and deleting do no increase MPG.....think if he lifts his lead foot would be the best tune...

#19 ·
Not true but what do you know... you never deleted. You just get hearsay off the forums. I know several trucks that have been deleted and many picked up 4+ MPG on the highway and 2+ in the city and sometimes more depending on the driver. I can promise you... you will get better fuel mileage being deleted. Period.

And screw all these retards preaching federal law to you. It is your truck. Do what you want! Wanna know why I say that? I work on Ft. Rucker. Guess what the base workers (contractors) drive. F350/F450 6.7L trucks. Guess what they don't have. That's right! DPF or EGRs. They roll coal quite a bit. So basically the Feds preach "do as I say and not as I do" is bull****. If it is happening on Rucker... I bet all the bases have deleted trucks.

#5 ·
Guys, please, you're preaching to the choir. The work has been done, the vehicle has been programmed, just looking for tune writers, not advice about throttle, buttons, waste of time......

#7 ·
I haven't been on this site in a while, but I don't remember it being this difficult to get a question answered. Let me double check. Yes, I'm in the correct forum; 6.7 Upgrades and Aftermarket. Yes, this is the forum for discussing deletes and programming. HMMM? So, if you haven't deleted, are not programming, and can't answer the question, why are you wasting your time? Newbies from 2 months ago should perhaps rethink their position before criticizing long term members. They may need advice one day.

#8 ·
Wrenching on a truck then asking about a tuner. Just goes to show you don't know what you are doing in the first place. By the way you know your violating federal law. further more people like you love the smell of your exhaust but sitting in the cab you smell nothing. There isn't any reason to remove anything related to smog from your truck just because you own a 14MM end wrench. Put the truck back to stock and you won't be back here wondering why the truck won't run.

#9 ·
Good grief! Who in the He!! are you or who in the He!! to you think you are? Do you have the capability of understanding the English language? Nothing was said about this being my truck; didn't you know it's illegal to modify exhaust systems? I am really getting tired of dealing with your ignorant a$$, but I will explain one more time and then block you. 'MY BUDDY' modified his truck about 4 years ago with KEM tunes which were a great improvement over stock. PIP tunes were a recommendation from this site and I passed that on to him and he bought them and loaded them onto his X4 and used them for about 2 years. Now, with a lot of companies going out of business, 'HE' is curious if anyone is still writing tunes; it's like tools in your tool chest; he has about 10 and is looking for a few more before they are no longer available. Now, a$$7865, are you satisfied? Good grief! Where do you ignorant buttheads come from. You don't have to answer that; YOUR BLOCKED!!

#10 ·
I have heard of gearhead tunes (not related to my username) but don't have any info as to if they are still writing delete tunes or where to contact them. I think the EPA has cracked down on the delete stuff in the last 5 or so years and has made it more difficult to find that kind of stuff. I understand the rational that is getting the unwanted comments you have got on this thread but I also understand how the emission stuff on these trucks has made them unreliable. Good luck.

#11 ·
Sorry for the late reply, gear, and thank you for the input. That's my buddy's point of view; pretty soon there will be no tune writers. I remember programming DTV cards 15-20 years ago, and then Black Sunday. DTV sent a signal that killed everything card and then there were no more programmers.

#13 ·
Gearhead, my buddy called and said he called gearhead tuners but was put on hold. After about 10 minutes, he hung up. Not sure if he called back or not. He did say to thank you for the recommendation.

#15 ·
Thank you, Claluja; I'll pass it on.

#17 ·
Claluja, my buddy ordered a couple of tunes from Tyrant and is looking at GDP; he sends his thanks.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm looking at doing tunes on a bone stock 13. How did it work out?

#20 ·
I'm trying to find out who made the tune that is in the truck I just bought, not that there is anything wrong with it, just want to know what kind of tune it is. It is on an SCT X4, and so far after owning it a week it is getting 19.3 MPG.

I do have to agree with the others on the smell, it stinks, and sorry about that. I didn't realize it was fully deleted when I bought it, it wasn't until I got it home and gave it a full once over that I discovered it had no SCR or DPF underneath, I just knew the EGR was blocked off. The good news is that it does NOT roll coal, if anything I have only seen a puff of gray come out under a hard get up and go on an on ramp. At idle though, it stinks, and I get an occasional whiff of it in the cab. Whats funny is the 99 7.3 I had did not smell this strong, just a light aroma of Diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.