The Diesel Stop banner

Turbo Flutter

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ford_doctor 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 f250. I deleted egr and exhaust a couple of years ago. Truck has ran great since. Last month at about 120k miles the turbo went out. I had it replaced with OEM replacement. Now, at right around 1100 rpm, under slight acceleration, I get the turbo flutter coming from airbox. It's an ARS, if that makes a difference. Mechanic blames tunes on tuner, tuner people really have no answer, but say it doesn't sound like it's their tunes. Never had this problem before changing turbo. Doesn't really affect the performance of the truck, but is annoying. HELP.

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately when you bastardize your truck unintended side affects can occur because you are changing the way it was designed to work. As heavy assault mentioned your turbo is likely over speeding - meaning it is over boosting. By removing the EGR valve you have removed the most effective way the PCM has of preventing that. Opening the EGR valve bleeds off exhaust pressure in the manifolds before the turbo... the pressure/energy needed to drive the turbo. This may also be achieved in combination with changing fuel delivery. But that is on a stock engine with no deletes and a factory calibration.

Since the flutter seems to have become noticeable after replacing the turbo it suggests that either the old turbo was not up to par and for a long time or something went wrong with the repairs - possibly a leak somewhere that is throwing off the pressure sensors. MAF sensors are also sensitive to disturbances in air flow like some aftermarket high flow filters have been known to cause. Other things to look at include the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold and the EBP sensor for biased readings, leaks and carbon fouling. There is always the possibility that the turbo flutter is normal for the combination of modifications, non-OEM calibration in your truck. Since the "tuner people" have no clue you might try listing your tune and mods to see if anyone else is running the same and can compare your observations. Lastly, double check your part numbers and verify that the correct turbocharger was installed as there are two different turbos and at least one revision since JOB 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.