Upgraded turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By clev
  • 1 Post By clev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgraded turbo

I'm having 'my' transmission replaced with an ATS Stage 1 trannie and t/convertor package at the local Ford garage. While that's being done, it would be an easy task to replace the turbo. I know that the 2015 F350 will fit and is a bigger, more responsive turbo, but does anyone know if the 2017 will work? I ask about 2017, because that's the year that Ford increased the towing capability from 15k pounds to ~21k, so the 2017's should have a better turbo. If anyone can add input for this, I'd appreciate it.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

My Photos: (0)
No knowledge of actual fit or not, but the 17-18 turbo is like the 15-16 turbo, not a direct bolt on. It requires some parts besides the turbo to make it work. You would be better off going to some of the sites that sell the upgraded turbos and ask them. I have not seen anyone on here or any of the other forums talking about the 17-18-19 turbo as a replacement/upgrade.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, larrgh.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 AM

My Photos: (6)
The '17+ turbos can be used in lew of the '15 model if you so choose. There is a different pedestal which you need anyway to run either the '15-'16 turbo or the '17+ turbos. I recall the oil feed or coolant feed was changed which causes the new pedestal to be used.
larrgh likes this.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Heavy. Will the pedestal for the 15 drop in place on a 12 without mods? What about up pipes, would the 12’s bolt up or would I need pipes from the 15?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Thanks, Heavy. Will the pedestal for the 15 drop in place on a 12 without mods? What about up pipes, would the 12ís bolt up or would I need pipes from the 15?

Sorry, but I'm sure you need new pipes due to the newer compressor housing on the newer turbos. The aftermarket guys do sell OEM kits that give you everything or you could just go to the aftermarket pipes. Not to mention you would need tuning support as well with the '15+ turbos.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Good morning, Heavy. Yes, you are correct on all points. I found a kit at KC Turbos for $2500, and it has everything including up pipes. It will upgrade the 11-14 G32 Turbo to the 15+ G37 Turbo. I’ve been in contact with KEM tunes for programming. If you know anyone that took over for PIP, could you PM me?
HeavyAssault likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:10 PM

You and me both on PIP. I wish I knew the secret handshake to get in touch with those guys or any of the others that have ghosted. The best thing is there are still good options for tuning support without needing a new device or visit a shop just South of you considering your location. For your local guys you may need to be there physically to ask "the right questions". LOL

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again, Heavy. My appointment for the turbo and trannie is 11 March; looking forward to the upgrade. Hope the dealership has the expertise.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in