The Diesel Stop banner

Is it worth it to upgrade?

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 ·
I just came acrossed an article on some upgrades for the 6.7

Is it worthwhile to upgrade the turbo compressor wheel? They referred to a Wicked Wheel 2.
Would it change anything?

thanks

#2 ·
I would say no. Is not over 400hp enough?

#3 ·
I agree 100 percent.

Reactions: DilbertFord
#5 ·
I agree. I am more interested in longevity & warranty coverage than additional performance. I’ve said here before that my bone stock ‘13 model dually has towed my 16,400 pound 5th wheel over every mountain pass in the western US & I don’t think I’ve ever had my foot to the floor.
Since my extended warranty will lapse before the end of the year, I might consider an EGR delete ONLY if I need some kind of major engine overhaul in the future. For now, I’ll just smile & enjoy the ride.

Reactions: MrTommy
#6 ·
I swapped out my 97 7.3 for this pre-loved 2016 6.7. The truck is for towing our RV around. However, I love this new truck SO much, I sometimes just take it out for a trip to Dutch Bros for coffee.

So far, we've only gone from here in Carson City, NV to Medford, OR with our trailer. And back. Like DKR says, the truck didn't even acknowledge that it was working. Holy crap, what a difference from my much-modded 7.3. Starting in the spring we'll be all over the west, and I already know some of the white kunckle grades we decended previouly will be walks-in-the-park. As the truck sits, I'm thrilled to death with it. I may do a cold air intake at some point, but that's probably it. And with my new iDash gauge to watch and marvel over, I can't wait to hit the road. I guess I'm just overwhelmed with the stock power of this new truck. More than enough. I hate the DEF crap, and the REGEN, but I guess I'll get used to it. :yesnod:

Attachments

#7 ·
I have been coast to coast with my 15 F250 and my 34' Keystome Montana. Wow this truck likes to work. Not one single problem with the truck. I have however spun the tires once with the trailer hooked up. Talk about power. Mine is still stock and I plane to keep it that way. Fuel mi9llage isn't bad for a big truck. I have gotten 12 towing and 18 highway. Town driving stinks bad lol. If I want to go fast my GT500 will do that fore me.

#8 ·
I would suggest buying a locking fuel cap from Stant. This will insure you are aware of whether you are putting DEF in the DEF tank or putting Diesel in the fuel tank. There are a number of forum entries of people putting DEF or gasoline in the fuel tank. Make sure you are aware of the diesel pump/fill nozzle at stations that have both at a single pump. BP green nozzle cover does NOT indicate diesel as it does at most stations.

I only fill the diesel tank at the island. I replace the locking fuel cap and pull away from the island before I attempt to add DEF. This way I am not doing both at the same place. One can get side tracked by another person, spouse or friend or customer/truck owner and mistakenly put DEF in the fuel tank or gasoline in the fuel tank.

You can get the Stant 10510D locking fuel cap off eBay for less then $15 with free shipping. This is the green diesel fuel cap.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=10510d&_sacat=0&_sop=15

#9 ·
Using a turbo compressor wheel on a stock truck will not provide much in gains. Now if you went thru the modding process you could find additional gains using a different compressor wheel.

Since you didn't post the year of your truck you may have more options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.