2012 Navigation replacement/upgrade - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Navigation replacement/upgrade

I looked, not much other than a thread started in 2010 for this. I went on my first trip last weekend and man are those maps out of date! I was driving through open fields according to the navigation. The Rand McNally wasn't much better. It had the new roads, but I wasn't driving on them, and the navigation had me going around roundabouts that didn't exist.

Needless to say I need something better and going to a Sync2/3 system is apparently out of the question since the components/wiring harness doesn't exist. I have a Kenwood DDX371 I contemplated installing, but no Navigation, and does not support Car Play, so it will stay as my future trailer stereo.

Suggestions on what I can replace the factory nav with?

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Google Maps for the win because even Apple maps gets it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I am mad at myself, I dropped my Garmin Nuvican and of course, landed on it's face so now the camera settings are not working. At least it has updated maps! I always like having two navigation units, so they can battle it out with each other. It was funny as we were all watching as according to both units we were offroading.

With iOS 13.1, Carplay is more like the Sync3 in the new trucks, and similar to the Nav screen in the 12, so now I need to get some input on brand and model radio. Already found the Maestro unit to tap into Sync and also get the vehicle info, I can remove the SCT tuner from the windshield and am leaning towards the Kenwood DMX906s which appears to also work with the Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam. I can remove the Rand McNally completely then.

Sold due to neglect
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Found a Kenwood DNX575S for under $500 new. Since it is still showing up on the Kenwood site, I decided to buy it even though it shows as discontinued elsewhere. The replacement model is almost $230 more for the same thing. Also bought the Maestro adapter and harness, and the SiriusXM adapter. The only thing now that I am not sure what to do, is hooking up the factory backup camera. There has to be the Video + and - wiring going to the factory Nav unit, but I can't find a wiring diagram for it, or information either.

I did find a few postings around where there is the wiring to tap, but they all are for the mirror type and not for the navigation. Any help on that would be appreciated.

Sold due to neglect
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD2 View Post
Found a Kenwood DNX575S for under $500 new. Since it is still showing up on the Kenwood site, I decided to buy it even though it shows as discontinued elsewhere. The replacement model is almost $230 more for the same thing. Also bought the Maestro adapter and harness, and the SiriusXM adapter. The only thing now that I am not sure what to do, is hooking up the factory backup camera. There has to be the Video + and - wiring going to the factory Nav unit, but I can't find a wiring diagram for it, or information either.

I did find a few postings around where there is the wiring to tap, but they all are for the mirror type and not for the navigation. Any help on that would be appreciated.

Could this be the item you are looking for?

2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 V8
2011 F350 SRW 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7 V8 (Sold)
2006 F450 DRW 2X4 XLT Stake Bed Crew Cab 6.0 V8 (Sold)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0 V8
2003 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8
1967 F100 Pickup 352ci V8, C6 automatic
1972 Pontiac Lemans 400ci V8, Turbo-Hydromatic 400
1964 Pontiac Catalina 389ci V8, Roto-Hydromatic 375 (Slim-Jim)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

All the ones I have found like that one have the wrong plug type. I was able to get it working today. I had a subwoofer plug that had two RCA outputs and two wire taps. I was able to pull the pins out of the plug and used some shrink wrap to insulate the pins and bind them together, was able to plug them into the camera harness. I now have backup camera on my new Kenwood. Who knew factory speakers could sound so good.

Took me about 4 hours to put it all together. I started with soldering up the harness, then disassembled the dash after getting the radio ESN since it still has a trial on it. Then I plugged it all in and tested it. Took a few different tries to get the camera to come up, found out the shield should not be grounded, once I found that, it came right up. Then I fished the GPS antenna through the dash, up towards the windshield. There are panels that pop off at either end right in front of the passenger and driver. I was able to feed it up through that, then fish it under and through the defroster vent. I have to bend the plate to fit the dash so it can be permanently attached, but that is all I have left. The second USB port is fished over to the glove box, and I may make a mount of some sort for it, or just leave it loose.

There is an OBDII harness as well, that I fed up and under the panel, got it all plugged in then shoved the entire mass, including the Maestro RR and SiriusXM unit into the opening and after some cussing and swearing, found the alignment pins for the dash kit are flush with the mounting lugs, and the truck has that part raised. Once I snapped the pins off it fell right in. I will get a pic tomorrow, it got dark and is raining like nutz here.

What I like, I no longer have the SCT plugged in and visible to all, I can look at the Kenwood for the gauges now. I also have real tire pressures, and not just the idiot light. Since it uses Garmin for the Nav, real time speed is shown, which is nice because the truck is off by 2.5 MPH @ 60. I just need to get the Sirius activated now and learn all the features of this new radio.

Sold due to neglect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in