The Diesel Stop banner

Aftermarket Replacement Fuel Tank..... Titan or Transfer Flow????

43K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  gearhead1011 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2015 F350 CC/SB and am very interested in adding an aftermarket replacement (not in bed aux) fuel tank to increase range. I have been doing research for months reading forums and calling the manufacturers and still have many questions... I live in the rocky mountain west with pretty wide temp swings -20° to 50° in a day and make some extended trips out hunting where fuel may be difficult or suspect.

My local dealer said they would install the Transfer Flow and have good success with them in gas rigs. They haven't installed many in a diesel tho. My biggest concern with the transfer flow are the reports of the potential for condensation and rust due to it being metal. I like the idea of the dealer installing and it being a strong metal unit but am concerned with the potential impacts that condensation / rust would have on the fuel system.

Seems like every thread I have read on the Titan Tank brings up an issue of the top seal / gasket and the potential of water entering into the tank as well as plastic bits left over from the manufacturing process that get into the fuel system and customer service. In addition I have read about issues regarding the tank sagging and fuel sloshing due to the tank not having any baffles.

I have yet to find a straight answer as to how far the tank hangs below the frame rail. Its amazing how many different answers (opinions) to this question are out there.

For those of you that have either one of these tanks.. What are your likes / dislikes, how are they holding up, issues? Would you do it again?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Titan 65 gal in my CCLB. I had a local mechanic install mine in a few hours one saturday. The only complaint I have is the cost to fill it with 60 gallons or so. ha ha ha.

The main complaint I have seen on the Titan tank is people not installing the fuel pickup/sending unit per instructions and it leaks. Once they tightened it correctly, it didn't leak. So, make sure it install per instructions and torqued a second time after sitting about 10 minutes.

#3 ·
I have the 50 gallon Titan in my 15 CCSB and love it. Had a local mechanic shop install it and the only issue was a plastic clip on the fuel line that broke but we replaced it and have had no issues at all. Love going 800+ miles on a tank.:rocker::rocker::rocker:

#4 ·
I had a titan tank in my old truck. It was a great product. Would love one on my new (02) truck

#5 ·
DHall2276 - how much further below the frame rails does your tank sit? I have read anywhere from 1-6 inches. Do you happen to have any pics your willing to share? Any issues with sloshing or fuel pickup? Do you notice a lean at all?

Appreciate everyone's input. Would be nice to have a definitive thread to use as an actual resource for people looking to do this mod. Nice to hearsome long term user comments too. Thanks guys!

#6 ·
#7 ·
I had a Transfer Flow and it was a great solid tank, the only problem was when the support straps rotted out and the tank almost came down. I live in a rust belt area and tried to keep it clean. I bought new straps from transfer flow and replaced them . The tank was in great shape.

#8 ·
TransferFlow

I just put in the Transfer Flow 57-gallon replacement tank. Wasn't all that hard of a DIY project. Fit well - great instructions. Sits about 4 inches below the frame rail. Thing is so tough that Transfer Flow doesn't even use a skid plate. It's solid and while the plastic OEM tank is 37 gallons, it uses 3 straps to hold it in; Transfer Flow only uses 2 straps.
The only thing to get used to is that the onboard computer DTE (distance to empty) will be off - the fuel gauge will be accurate, but you kind of have to do the math to calculate your own DTE. Not sure if Ford can do a software update to tell it to base calculations on a 57-gallon tank? Reserve is about 5 gallons (calculated by adding 5 gallons to a completely empty tank until the gauge moved from below E to E), so I'm guessing each 1/4 tank is about 13 gallons.
I recommend the Transfer Flow tank but can't comment on the condensation issues.

#9 ·
I just put in the Transfer Flow 57-gallon replacement tank...
...The only thing to get used to is that the onboard computer DTE (distance to empty) will be off...
...Not sure if Ford can do a software update to tell it to base calculations on a 57-gallon tank?
The truck's BCM can be programmed to correct for the fuel tank size. Ford can do it or any shop that has a J2534 pass through tool and the technical knowledge as to how to operate it. I don't know how it works for the Ford service departments but we (independent shops) have to pay for a subscription to access the Motorcraft website to perform the programming. There are several tank size options available.

I just put a Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank in mine today. Ran out of time and didn't do the programming yet. I might wait for a job to come through the shop to pay for the access subscription.

#10 ·
I love my Titan 50gal tank. I have about 60,000 miles on it with no problems. I installed it my self in my driveway without the aid of a lift. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems. I watched Epic's youtube video before I started and read the direction's a few times. If you have the FX4 package, the factory tank skid plate can't be used with the titan tank. Titan has a thick plastic skid plate you can install with the tank if you want the extra protection. And yes ford has a recalibration for the larger tank , some service guys do not know this. I just went 750 miles yesterday without refueling , so I'm a believer.

cwtex04

#11 ·
Hey GEARHEAD1011 -
How far does the tank hang below the frame rails on your short bed? If possible would you mind posting a couple of pics.

At this point have over-researched the titan / transfer flow tank comparison. I have called a number of installers all over the NW to get their opinions as well. Interesting the responses. Many of them install both and most seem to lean towards the transfer flow. My 3 big concerns were weight, condensation and how far the tank actually hangs below the frame rails. From those I talked to it sounds like condensation has been a non issue. It seems to vary by 1-2 inches how far the tank hangs down below the frame rail between titan and transfer flow. At this point leaning more towards transfer flow.

Thanks

#12 ·
I would like to see pics of the Transfer Flow as well. I did some checking like Cooprock and found much the same. Installers that did both say there are more problems with Titan and IF you have a problem with Titan they just point the finger at the truck and are done with you. IF they have a problem with Transfer Flow all said Transfer Flow is more willing to work with you to get it resolved.

#13 ·
If one follows the installation instructions from Titan, one will not have any problems. The only known problem I have seen mention with Titan is the sending unit leaking. This is caused by not installing it per instructions.

Titan tanks are made from High-Density Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLHDPE) which is very similar to the Polyethylene Ford uses to make their tanks. Polyethylene is resistant to alga growth and has difficulty attaching itself to the tank where the aluminum tank offers better adhesion for the alga.

I would not trade the Titan tank I have for a TransferFlow tank even if they offered money with their tank to trade or a free trade.

#14 · (Edited)
The Transfer Flow is heavy gauge aluminized steel that doesn't require a skid plate so I don't think it hangs any lower than a factory skid plate. I've been a little busy but I will try to get pics and measurements tomorrow.

#15 · (Edited)
Steel will probably rip a lot easier than polyethylene. Steel for sure will dent easier than polyethylene and probably not return to original shape either. The TransferFlow site says the CCLB tank hangs down 4" lower than stock and capacity of 57 gallons. The Titan hangs down about 2" lower than stock and hold 65 gallons. The steel tank can have algae build up and adhere to tank walls that necessitate an biocide use at times. Polyethylene is used to prevent this and is the same material the stock tank is made from.

Skid plate is optional

The TF tank is 12 and 14 gauge aluminumixed steel. 12 Gauge is 0.1046" and 14 gauge is 0.0747". Titan is 0.250" thick.

Again, glad I went with a Titan tank.

#17 ·

I measured the drop below the frame. At the high part of the frame near the rear part of the tank it measures 10.5" from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the tank. At the lower part of the frame near the front of the tank it measures 6" from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the tank. The composite side shield for the tank is removed for installation but I still have mine. I measured it and it measures 10.5" at the widest part so the Transfer Flow does not hang any lower than that shield. It is about even with the bottom of the step bars. These measurements are for the 50 gallon Transfer Flow.

Some of the things that helped me choose Transfer Flow over Titan:
1. I found zero problems/complaints with the Transfer Flow. Can't say that about the Titan.

2. Steel tank won't sag like the plastic.

3. No need for the skid plate on the Transfer Flow. The one Titan makes for their tank is an extra $156.00 and is plastic also. I doubt the plastic shield for the Titan will be more durable than a nearly 1/8" thick steel bottom of the Transfer Flow.

4. The 50 gallon Titan tank is $510.00 more than the 50 gallon Transfer Flow. Add the price of the shield and it's a total of $666.00 more. larrgh has a 65 gallon Titan which is not an option for a short bed truck so I used the 50 gallon tanks for a more even comparison. The 65 gallon tank is $260.00 more than the 50.

Keep in mind that the problem with the Titan wasn't just a fuel leak but something that led to a $12,000.00 fuel system failure. Of course that problem is preventable if you adhere to the installation instructions. The other complaint with manufacturing debris left in the tank could have been handled better by Titan.

I am not bashing the Titan, just pointing out the things that I think are an advantage for the Transfer Flow that helped me decide on which one I used. I am at least as happy with my Transfer Flow as larrgh is with his Titan although I haven't had mine as long so time will tell. 50 gallons will give me at least a 500 mile range towing and 750 miles with a light load. That works well for me and is nearly double what the factory 26 gallon tank will hold. If my truck would have held 40 gallons I probably would not have bothered changing it.

#18 ·
I feel you I am having the same debate, for me the shipping on the Transferflow is the killer. I also have a short bed, and can get the Titan on Amazon with shipping for about $1200, so $300 more than the Transferflow, but their shipping is $150, so that brings it to about a $150 difference for me.

I had a Transferflow on my 7.3L back in the day and loved it, but considering Titan this time around.

#20 ·
I found one installer that said if I wait until they are ordering a couple they will get the shipping for about half. They sell them for the same price as you can get right from TF. Of course they then want to do the install. Not sure if I want to pay $500 to have them install or do it myself.

#19 ·
Did you have to re-program your DTE with the Transfer Flow? I was told you don't have to with it because you get a new float but with the Titan you do. My dealer here will do the re-program for $100 if I go with the Titan.

I have no loyalty to either as I have never added a tank. As I said when I talked to installers they said that IF there is a problem Titan blames the truck manufacturer and does nothing to help. One would not get into what was going on other than to say Titan was saying the issue on a Tundra was not their fault and to talk to Toyota. He could not tell me what was going on.

Anyway I am sure I will be happy with either. The TF is clearly cheaper than the Titan but I am not opposed to spending a little more if there is a good reason to do so.

#21 ·
The DTE will have to be re-calibrated for either tank. The Transfer Flow does come with a new float that has a longer arm on it to compensate for the deeper tank but the BCM still has to know what the tank capacity is to calculate the DTE.

500 bucks seems a little steep for the install unless the re-calibration is included. Depending on how the truck is equipped Mitchell allows 3-3.3 hours for the fuel tank change but there is a little more to the upgrade over just changing the tank. I took my time with mine and still only spent a couple of hours doing it but I do have the advantage of using a lift and a tranny jack. If you are going to do this or have it done you should run the tank as low as you are comfortable with to save the time and trouble of draining a the fuel. I got mine down to a couple of gallons so I didn't have to drain it at all. Just pumped the fuel out after I removed it.

I get a little bit of a break on the Transfer Flow through my business so if someone wants to order one through me send me a PM.

#22 · (Edited)
Well, the Titan is not going to collapse as you suggested. If that was a problem, do you think Ford would be using "plastic" for their tanks and have been for many years now.

I had rather have the 0.250" wall thickness than the thinner steel. One good bashing by a rock or something off the highway and you hole in the thinner steel.

The complaints are because people didn't follow the instructions on installing the fuel sending unit properly.

I had rather pay a tad more and have the 65 gallons verses 57 gallon capacity. 8 gallon on a long road trip can make a big difference in prices for a fuel stop. I was able to go over 600 miles pulling a heavy 5'r and saved $0.35 per gallon on a fill up of 60 gallons. I can go over 1,000 miles without a load, a lot longer than i can go without a personal pit stop.

The skid plate is not a requirement nor the added expense if one has no plans of off roading (which it appears many on here are trophy trucks or on highway haulers).

The Titan has 3 straps plus a front support included with the CCLB tank. Longer arm is not needed for sending unit on Titan and the truck gauge it pretty accurate after reprogram to 65 gallon tank size which dealer did for free.

But to each their own. You bought what you wanted as did I. I am well satisfied with my purchase.

#23 ·
Had a transferflow installed a few weeks ago and have had no issues. The shop in Fort Worth that put it in also recaled the DTE.

It's still weird driving so far between fill-ups.

#24 · (Edited)
On my 15 CCSB. I installed my Titan 50 Gallon tank in about four hours, by myself. No special tools or lifts are needed. Drive the truck until the factory tank is between E and 1/8 of a tank. There will be about 5 gallons left, that you can dump out once it is removed. The 50 gallon tank has two straps plus a third holding bracket in the front.

Note Titan also redesign the Vent system in 2014 on this tank. You no longer have to cut and splice the vent line, like in the Video.

DTE. It took me 45 minutes waiting at the dealer, for the tech to finish his previous job. Then it took him 5 minutes to reprogram the BCM. They charged me $45.00, and I provided the instructions. (It was the first one they every did). Note: The fuel gauge works without reprogramming. It's just the DTE that is off. Now every 1/4 tank = 12.5 gallons and the lie o meter seams to agree!

I did not get the shield. The tank hangs down about 7 1/2 inches from the frame rail in the front, and 12 inches in the rear by the spring hanger, where the frame goes up.

Don't know about Titan's warranty, but I did have a question after the install, and they called me back within 24 hours and answered it.

Junk in the tank. Per the instructions. I wiped my tank out with a damp paper towel before the install. Mine was CLEAN.

Water getting in the tank. The first time you fill the tank all the way up to the filler nozzle. Once you drive home you check the tank. If you installed the gasket wrong. The tank sides will be wet / damp near the rear bracket. AKA a LEAK.

Amazon had the best price that week. It was $1175 to my door.

Attachments

#25 ·
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate you taking the time to measure and post some pics. That really helped.

Got some feedback from others re the titan tank suggesting powder coating all of the straps and sending unit ring as they rot out quick. Everyone I talked to spoke highly of the quality and customer service of transfer flow.

With all of the info here and the ford dealer stating they would install a transfer flow for me so I wouldn't have any warranty issues.... Think that the direction I am going to go.

Again, thanks everyone for your input!!!!

#26 ·
Just to clarify something so someone else doesn't get lead down the wrong path should they read this thread...

The 3 Titan straps are made from stainless steel not mild steel. The front support is powder coated. The fuel sending unit ring is made of fairly thick steel which I highly doubt will rust out during life of truck. Also Titan does carry a 5 year warranty verses 3 year for TransferFlow.

JMHO...both are good tanks and is a matter of preference and persuasion on what one picks...people seem to bad mouth something because of their incompetence at times so the buyer needs to be wary of all input, good or bad.

#28 ·
Well after a LOT of research I decided to go with Titan. I actually called Transfer Flow and asked what the "usable fuel" was with their tank. I was told that "quite honestly it is about 45 gallons". So based on that I called Titan. Not that he was honest but he told me the usable fuel was 49 - 49.5. Not that he might be the most honest guy but I have read others say they have put in up to 48 in the Titan.

So in the instruction it states to "re-torque" the cab mount bolts to factory specs. Does anyone have this? I plan on installing tomorrow and I am think about 60 or so from what I have found. Just wondering if anyone has the exact number or at least where I can find it.

#29 ·
76 ft/lb

The only cab mount bolt/nut they are talking about is the one for the front tank support.

#30 ·
Thanks Larry. I know it is just that one but I had no idea what to put it at. Instructions just say factory settings. I kind of thought you would chime in with it. You usually have all the specs for this kind of stuff. I'll let everyone know how easy it was in once I get done.

#31 · (Edited)
Well install was REAL easy. Being a 50 year old IT guy and I had the help of my Dad a retired CEO I was pretty happy. I followed the video on the Titan site and I had a motor cycle jack available to me which really helped. Put it under the old one and removed the straps, lowered a little and undid both fuel lines and the connector.

Biggest problem was getting the fuel out of the old tank. Didn't get it all but that is fine. Jacked the new one up and reconnected everything and put on the new straps. Filled it up with and went to the fuel station.

What took the most time was waiting 20 minutes after torquing the sending unit on to redo it. While I waited that is when I drained some of the old fuel out of the old tank. Every nut turning about half a turn after the 20 minutes. So I waited another 20 and tried again but they were all set at that point.

Total install time was about 3 hours and probably 45 minutes of that was waiting to re-torque so not bad.

Attached are pictures of ground clearance with old tank and with new tank. As you can see I had about 14.5 inches to the old skid plate and now have about 12.5 inches to the bottom of the tank. Also I love seeing the 851 miles to empty. That was right after I filled it up driving away. I had put in about 7 gallons before I headed to the station and it took 43.5 gallons.

Thanks to everyone that answered questions asked by me or others. It all helped. Special thanks to Larry for getting that specs every time someone asks for them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.