Aftermarket Replacement Fuel Tank..... Titan or Transfer Flow???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket Replacement Fuel Tank..... Titan or Transfer Flow????

Just purchased a 2015 F350 CC/SB and am very interested in adding an aftermarket replacement (not in bed aux) fuel tank to increase range. I have been doing research for months reading forums and calling the manufacturers and still have many questions... I live in the rocky mountain west with pretty wide temp swings -20 to 50 in a day and make some extended trips out hunting where fuel may be difficult or suspect.

My local dealer said they would install the Transfer Flow and have good success with them in gas rigs. They haven't installed many in a diesel tho. My biggest concern with the transfer flow are the reports of the potential for condensation and rust due to it being metal. I like the idea of the dealer installing and it being a strong metal unit but am concerned with the potential impacts that condensation / rust would have on the fuel system.

Seems like every thread I have read on the Titan Tank brings up an issue of the top seal / gasket and the potential of water entering into the tank as well as plastic bits left over from the manufacturing process that get into the fuel system and customer service. In addition I have read about issues regarding the tank sagging and fuel sloshing due to the tank not having any baffles.

I have yet to find a straight answer as to how far the tank hangs below the frame rail. Its amazing how many different answers (opinions) to this question are out there.

For those of you that have either one of these tanks.. What are your likes / dislikes, how are they holding up, issues? Would you do it again?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM

I have the Titan 65 gal in my CCLB. I had a local mechanic install mine in a few hours one saturday. The only complaint I have is the cost to fill it with 60 gallons or so. ha ha ha.

The main complaint I have seen on the Titan tank is people not installing the fuel pickup/sending unit per instructions and it leaks. Once they tightened it correctly, it didn't leak. So, make sure it install per instructions and torqued a second time after sitting about 10 minutes.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 PM

I have the 50 gallon Titan in my 15 CCSB and love it. Had a local mechanic shop install it and the only issue was a plastic clip on the fuel line that broke but we replaced it and have had no issues at all. Love going 800+ miles on a tank.

2015 F-250 Platinum FX4 CC SB Tuxedo Black w/ Pecan
Ordered 12-11-14
Delivered to Dealer 2-10-15
Took Delivery on 2-12-15
Husky Weather Beater mats, Spray-in bed liner, B&W turnover ball w/ companion 5ver hitch, LED lights inside and out, Ford Remote Access Module installed, BakFlip F1 bed cover, 14" antenna, Titan 50 gal tank, Headrest monitors, Coastaltech Lockpick Air, hopefully more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:25 AM

I had a titan tank in my old truck. It was a great product. Would love one on my new (02) truck

Current truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually, 4.10 gears. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO gauges (boost, EGT, trans, fuel pressure), PHP Hydra, full EBPV delete (pedestal & outlet), CNC Fab HP & HPX lines, Riff Raff FRX, Riff Raff IC boots, CCV mod w/catchcan, Reese Titan, AIS, ITP pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Ultra-Power bellows up-pipes, 6.7L starter.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, CCV mod, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, ITP pre-pump filter kit.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

DHall2276 - how much further below the frame rails does your tank sit? I have read anywhere from 1-6 inches. Do you happen to have any pics your willing to share? Any issues with sloshing or fuel pickup? Do you notice a lean at all?

Appreciate everyone's input. Would be nice to have a definitive thread to use as an actual resource for people looking to do this mod. Nice to hearsome long term user comments too. Thanks guys!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

The tank doesn't hang far below the frame rail. Here are a couple youtube vids on installs. First vid is where it was installed at the guys home.

https://youtu.be/-cZggyKhBjg

https://youtu.be/uy_QxM1vRl4

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM

I had a Transfer Flow and it was a great solid tank, the only problem was when the support straps rotted out and the tank almost came down. I live in a rust belt area and tried to keep it clean. I bought new straps from transfer flow and replaced them . The tank was in great shape.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

TransferFlow

I just put in the Transfer Flow 57-gallon replacement tank. Wasn't all that hard of a DIY project. Fit well - great instructions. Sits about 4 inches below the frame rail. Thing is so tough that Transfer Flow doesn't even use a skid plate. It's solid and while the plastic OEM tank is 37 gallons, it uses 3 straps to hold it in; Transfer Flow only uses 2 straps.
The only thing to get used to is that the onboard computer DTE (distance to empty) will be off - the fuel gauge will be accurate, but you kind of have to do the math to calculate your own DTE. Not sure if Ford can do a software update to tell it to base calculations on a 57-gallon tank? Reserve is about 5 gallons (calculated by adding 5 gallons to a completely empty tank until the gauge moved from below E to E), so I'm guessing each 1/4 tank is about 13 gallons.
I recommend the Transfer Flow tank but can't comment on the condensation issues.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 PM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubota421 View Post
I just put in the Transfer Flow 57-gallon replacement tank...
...The only thing to get used to is that the onboard computer DTE (distance to empty) will be off...
...Not sure if Ford can do a software update to tell it to base calculations on a 57-gallon tank?
The truck's BCM can be programmed to correct for the fuel tank size. Ford can do it or any shop that has a J2534 pass through tool and the technical knowledge as to how to operate it. I don't know how it works for the Ford service departments but we (independent shops) have to pay for a subscription to access the Motorcraft website to perform the programming. There are several tank size options available.

I just put a Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank in mine today. Ran out of time and didn't do the programming yet. I might wait for a job to come through the shop to pay for the access subscription.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM

I love my Titan 50gal tank. I have about 60,000 miles on it with no problems. I installed it my self in my driveway without the aid of a lift. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems. I watched Epic's youtube video before I started and read the direction's a few times. If you have the FX4 package, the factory tank skid plate can't be used with the titan tank. Titan has a thick plastic skid plate you can install with the tank if you want the extra protection. And yes ford has a recalibration for the larger tank , some service guys do not know this. I just went 750 miles yesterday without refueling , so I'm a believer.

cwtex04
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey GEARHEAD1011 -
How far does the tank hang below the frame rails on your short bed? If possible would you mind posting a couple of pics.

At this point have over-researched the titan / transfer flow tank comparison. I have called a number of installers all over the NW to get their opinions as well. Interesting the responses. Many of them install both and most seem to lean towards the transfer flow. My 3 big concerns were weight, condensation and how far the tank actually hangs below the frame rails. From those I talked to it sounds like condensation has been a non issue. It seems to vary by 1-2 inches how far the tank hangs down below the frame rail between titan and transfer flow. At this point leaning more towards transfer flow.

Thanks
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would like to see pics of the Transfer Flow as well. I did some checking like Cooprock and found much the same. Installers that did both say there are more problems with Titan and IF you have a problem with Titan they just point the finger at the truck and are done with you. IF they have a problem with Transfer Flow all said Transfer Flow is more willing to work with you to get it resolved.

2015 F-350 Platinum Bronze Fire 6.7 PSD loaded from Scott Pratt at Fowlerville Ford
2011 Rockwood 2704 Travel Trailer
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 PM

If one follows the installation instructions from Titan, one will not have any problems. The only known problem I have seen mention with Titan is the sending unit leaking. This is caused by not installing it per instructions.

Titan tanks are made from High-Density Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLHDPE) which is very similar to the Polyethylene Ford uses to make their tanks. Polyethylene is resistant to alga growth and has difficulty attaching itself to the tank where the aluminum tank offers better adhesion for the alga.

I would not trade the Titan tank I have for a TransferFlow tank even if they offered money with their tank to trade or a free trade.

Larry

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 PM

My Photos: (10)
The Transfer Flow is heavy gauge aluminized steel that doesn't require a skid plate so I don't think it hangs any lower than a factory skid plate. I've been a little busy but I will try to get pics and measurements tomorrow.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats

Last edited by gearhead1011; 06-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
The Transfer Flow is heavy gauge aluminized steel that doesn't require a skid plate so I don't think it hangs any lower than a factory skid plate. I've been a little busy but I will try to get pics and measurements tomorrow.
Steel will probably rip a lot easier than polyethylene. Steel for sure will dent easier than polyethylene and probably not return to original shape either. The TransferFlow site says the CCLB tank hangs down 4" lower than stock and capacity of 57 gallons. The Titan hangs down about 2" lower than stock and hold 65 gallons. The steel tank can have algae build up and adhere to tank walls that necessitate an biocide use at times. Polyethylene is used to prevent this and is the same material the stock tank is made from.

Skid plate is optional

The TF tank is 12 and 14 gauge aluminumixed steel. 12 Gauge is 0.1046" and 14 gauge is 0.0747". Titan is 0.250" thick.

Again, glad I went with a Titan tank.

Larry

Last edited by larrgh; 06-05-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in