Airlift Compressor Comes on Constantly - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By clev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airlift Compressor Comes on Constantly

I have had my Airlift airbags for almost two years. The compressor comes on every time I start the truck and then about every 5 minutes after that. I have had it back to the shop that installed it four times to check for leaks. They swear there are no leaks I called Airlift last year and they sent me an inline check valve which the shop installed. That did nothing. I just called Airlift again and they told me that there has to be a leak somewhere in the system. It only seems to do this when I have my camper on the truck. I am at my wit's end. I am about ready to yank everything out and put a Firestone system on. I had Firestone on my last truck and never had any problems. Has anybody else had a problem with Airlift? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:14 PM

I had the Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on my '11. It always gave a shot of air on startup, and occasionally during trips. I never got around to checking for a lead, though I suspect there was one somewhere. I have to believe there is a leak somewhere. I can't imaging any other reason for the compressor to kick in.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Plain and simple there is a leak somewhere.

Get yourself a spray bottle and mix up some liquid dish detergent and water in it. Then just go along and check all the fittings on the system. Just spray a good amount of liquid on it and look for bubbles. It might help to do then when the compressor is running.

When you find the bubbles you found your leak.

Just as a FYI my brother in law has had some Firestone air bags on his truck and they have held air since they were installed a few years ago, but he didn't go with a compressor just one set pressure since he has a slide in camper on the truck full time.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM

I have Airlift with no compressor. I had a leak on one bag when they were new. It was replaced and all is well since then. I can go on a two week trip and may lose one or two pounds, but that's it.

I keep them at 90 pounds.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 AM
DKR

I had something similar on my 2012 F250. Firestone bags with an Airlift compressor and it cycled frequently, we could not find a leak. I ran the power wire to one of my upfitter switches and about once a week I turned it on for a few minutes.

I had no issues with the bags and found switching it was the simplest solution.

First thing you might do is air up the bags like they should be and pull the fuse for a few days and see if they leak out. That's where I started.

2015 Ford Platinum F350 CC SRW LB 4X4
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My Last FR Product)
20,000 LB Reese GooseBox Hitch
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 AM

My Photos: (16)
Mustang, I see this is an old post, but I just saw it. I have the same setup as you: 2012 F350 6.7 with Airlift 5000 and on board compressor. I had the bags for a few years before I added the compressor (last year). Yes, it cycles infrequently; sometimes every 5 minutes or so, sometimes not for half an hour, sometimes 2-3 times in 5 minutes. I went over every connection with soap spray and found no leaks. I contacted Air Lift and they sent me a new manifold. I installed it and it made no difference. So, I soap sprayed again; no leaks. I noticed the cycling was more prominent when the 5th wheel was hooked up and have now deduced that the cycling is normal. When the remote is set at a specific psi, temperature fluctuations will play with pressure and the automatic system will try to maintain the set pressure. Sometimes, mine will kick on and add air, sometimes when I pull into a parking lot, I can hear it releasing air. Weight of the 5 also plays with pressure. Road movements, will compress and expand the bag, making the pressure monitor activate. Finally, to wrap this up, for my purposes, the cycling compressor is normal operation and has worked, for me, with no problems, for about a year. If you have found different solutions, I'd like to read about them.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.

Last edited by clev; 02-17-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:00 PM

2015 F350 Dually airlift same symptoms on and off every once and a while, at least I know its working to maintain the set pressure.
just bought another Airlift set up for the 2019

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:26 PM

Do you have the ride height adjustment where there is a switch that turns the compressor on automatically. ?. I have the firestone system and a gauge on the dash with a manual switch.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STMPDUST View Post
2015 F350 Dually airlift same symptoms on and off every once and a while, at least I know its working to maintain the set pressure.
just bought another Airlift set up for the 2019
Are you going to install these yourself? If so, let me know how it goes. I may not even need them on this truck. I pulled my camper out for inspection yesterday, and took it for a short, but decent test up the road a bit. With the camper package (adding the extra leaf), with the camper on, the truck levels out perfect. It still bounces a bit, but nothing like my two previous trucks. It still needs a real world camping trip (coming soon), but for now, I don't think I will need them.

However, just in case...

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 AM

My trailer has a tongue weight of 2500 lbs empty and 400 lbs full as it Tree chipper trailer combo, if i dont level the truck when is empty the front tires only last 15 to 20k and they round off and wear the edges down to the cords

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM

My Photos: (6)
To me a limit switch or pressure switch going bad/highly sensitive in my book. As above ..yes, air temp, barometric pressure, etc etc etc could be variables. As many stated while the "physical leak inspections" deem no leaks present, that leads me to a hardware issue tripping the system.
Not that it's the answer but I didn't see anyone address the hardware functionality is good to go.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM

My Photos: (16)
The only hardware that I've replaced was the manifold. The explanation that I gave earlier makes sense to me, and except for being startled occasionally when it kicks on, LOL, I'm ok with it.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins and Bilstein Steering Stableizer, AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor, BedLocker electric bed cover, Hellwig 1 1/4 inch rear anti-sway bar, 2017 G37 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission kit, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front 2 inch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, dash mount AutoMeter C2 fuel pressure gauge, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, Air Dog fuel filtration system, Hutch mod, header wrapped and high temperature painted Bellowed Up-Pipes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 PM

Mine usually turns during the first start of the day. The system I had on my old F150 did the same. I replaced manifolds and compressors and found no leaks anywhere when searching with soapy water. I just learned to accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in