How hot is too hot ? - Oil Coolant Temps - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By swickstrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to swickstrom Send a message via MSN to swickstrom Send a message via Yahoo to swickstrom
Question How hot is too hot ? - Oil Coolant Temps

Hello Dieselstop Crew,

I've been reading posts for years on here but just officially signed up tonight and made my first post to the new members section a little while ago. I'll try to do my part and contribute to the community.

I have a question and maybe looking for some advice I hope you all can help with.

I have a 2011 F350 6.7L. A year ago I hit 60K miles and decided it was time to make it special as I love the truck and want to keep it for another decade. I put 4" Carli lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires, HID lamps, LED light bar, LED tail lights, 3-step Nerf bars, S&B cold air intake, Extreme-X oil bypass filter and had a Mini-Max tuner with full EGR / DPF delete done. Truck runs great, fuel mileage came up 20% and power is outstanding...it can pull the heat right out of hell now.

I typically tow a 30' toy-hauler, ~15K lbs fully loaded. Prior to having the Mini-Max installed it was a bit short on power going up the mountains in CO. Now the power is great, I usually run in "Tow" mode but it's actually fine in "Stock" mode. Before the upgrade the engine temp (oil & coolant) would rise to 220F-225F going up hills towing but again lacked power. Now I have more than enough power but any time I'm going up any type of incline the temp jumps into the 230F - 240F....it's even hit 245F a couple times for just a minute or two. As soon as I plateau or start down the hill the temp drops just as fast as it came up. If I'm not towing or towing on flat ground the temp is 198F - 210F. BTW - the L - H thermostat gauge gets past the mid-point but never got into the high/red range, I'm not sure that makes me feel good though.

Question - At what temperature do I need to be concerned about doing serious damage to the truck. It's never been hot for an extended period of time (<10 min, typically 3-5 min). I'd hate to warp or crack a head or something. I've tried going easier up the hills but the issue is if I slow down then I'm also shifting down so RPMs are still about the same and I have less airflow so the temp issues is still prevalent.

Is this typical for a truck that has been tuned with a full delete? If there is cause to be concerned does anyone have a recommendation for addressing the heat issue? I've thought about a larger radiator, upgraded fan, etc. but I'm just not sure. I'm willing to spend some $$ to make this right but I don't want to start dumping dollars on stupid stuff that won't help. If this isn't a big deal and I'm safe driving the truck knowing it will hit these temperatures when I tow up long inclines that's cool too.

I've done a fair amount of work on the truck myself but did have the Mini-Max and delete done professionally. If this becomes a more complicated fix I would appreciate a recommendation of a good diesel guy in the Denver metro area too. I'd just hate to damage the truck after I finally have it to the point where I want to keep it another 10-15 years and hit 300K-400K miles.

Thanks in advance for the input and guidance here,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Do you have an EGT gauge to measure exhaust temps ? That would help determine your answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to swickstrom Send a message via MSN to swickstrom Send a message via Yahoo to swickstrom
I do not have a Exhaust temp at this time. I've looked at a couple of options to add a sensor and tie it back into the MiniMax but just haven't had the time to do it do to some medical issues/challenges. I'm bouncing back now so that might be something I look at doing. If I do get an accurate EGT what range should that run safely?

W/O the knowing the EGT is there a general rule of thumb. I had a friend who is heaving into diesels, especially the Fords tell me the 6.7L have been built to run much hotter and even touching 250 wasn't an issue as long as it wasn't sustained driving that hot. He said being at 235, 240 and even 245 for up to 30 min was just fine. I know he's pretty familiar with all this stuff but he likes the older Fords...he really likes that 7.3L from 20 years ago.

Anyway any thoughts / insight would be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback ArcticDriver

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 AM

When I pulling heavy loads of hay through our pass at 6500 feet I routinely see 250 degrees on the truck going uphill and then it goes right back down to 200 in a minute or so after going up the hill. Itís a good idea to be watching your EGTs if your getting oil temps that high. I havenít had the oil tests come back any different from when I am towing heavy loads of hay versus not towing much of anything at a different oil change interval.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Canich Farms,

That makes me feel better for sure. Couple of quick follow up questions:

What year is your truck, I assume we're talking the same 2011+ 6.7L

As I mentioned above I currently don't have a EGT sensor. The MiniMax will allow for two different EGT readings, one in the engine and one in the exhaust pipe. I wouldn't install both so wondering if one is preferred over the other? I can't imagine that the EGT changes that much in the short distance / time between engine and pipe so maybe it doesn't matter.

Lastly, what is considered a normal, hot, too hot EGT? If I get a sensor and start to see those higher oil / coolant temps I'd like to have a good idea about my EGT being normal or hot.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited by swickstrom; 12-13-2018 at 06:54 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 AM

My Photos: (6)
Your temps as posted are quite normal thru various other posts reporting the same findings. Nothing to worry about.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the conformation / insight HeavyAssault!
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
My 7.3 pulling a horse trailer into the Big Horn mountains will get to 245* and its stock. I think that Cummins tests their engines for longevity at 300* oil temps. I think my Ford 6.0 doesn't derate the fuel till oil temp is in the 250* range.

02 F350 Lariet CCLB 4wd Dually 7.3 6sp M. 122,000 miles, Manual hubs and transfer case.
Stock as of yet. So far have bought
4" MBRA turbo back with muffler
GTP 38R BB turbo and WWII wheel and high flow housing, Non EBV pedestal, Adrenaline HPOP.
New IH up-pipes, Aluminum intake plenums, 203* Therm with aluminum housing, Boost relief valve, all new boots, FPRx and HPRx. Coolant and Trans Filter kits. Max AC Assist control Valve. 8 gauges,
Boost,Pyro,Fuel,HPOP,LPOP pressure. Water,Oil and Trans Temp. Need tunes and injectors yet.
03 26' CM 4 Horse trailer and 25' GN flat bed.

06 F-350 Lariet CCSB SRW 4wd Auto 6.0 78,000
miles. Atlas 80 with Ed's lifetime, Blue spring, MBRP 4" turbo back with muffler, Bully Dog for monitoring. So far no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in