The Diesel Stop banner

Looking for best Heavy duty shocks

15K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
Got a 2011 single cab long bed F-250 and just put a fuel tank in it along with my toolbox and other concrete hand tools. Looking for the best heavy duty shocks as I am not wanting to get air bags put on. I also tow a bobcat at times. Anyone have sugggestions on best shocks for my situation?

#2 ·
Fox !

#6 ·
Fox is a brand. All you have to do is Google it.
"Resi" is a external reservoir.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#7 ·
For a daily driver I have had good luck with Bilstein shocks. I think most any higher end shock would do the job.
DENNY

Reactions: nipperdog
#13 ·
I agree. I just got a set of Bilstein 5100s for my dually & they are great! I had them on my last truck as well. I would get them again when the time comes. Many here have used the 5100s and will agree with me.
By the way, you are describing a pretty heavy load & it seems as if you are asking about which shocks will handle the load the best. Shocks ARE NOT a load bearing component of the suspension. They dampen movement in the suspension in order to improve ride, handling & retard wear of the tires & other components. PERIOD! If you need to level your truck due to the load then air bags are the way to go. I use the Firestone Ride Rite system & I’m very satisfied with it. I’m sure that others will jump in here with great advice as well.
Good luck & let us know what you decide & what works for you.

#8 ·
Just so that you know, air bags help the springs and not the shocks. The shocks keep the truck from bouncing up and down when you hit a bump.

The first thing that I would do is to remove all the tools that you carry every day and then measure the distance from the spring/axle to the frame. Then reload everything back into the truck and measure it again and see what you really need. If it is because the springs can't carry the load then air bags would be nice to have. If it bounces down the road then get shocks.

Reactions: QcPwrStroke
#9 ·
I agree. Shocks are not a weight bearing component.

#10 ·
I pull a 42' toy-hauler using Bilstein 5100's. I had airbags on a previous truck but I went with Roadmaster Active Suspension on this truck and I have no regrets.

#11 ·
FYI. Not impressed with FOX. More likely the problem was the Carli Suspension that I have problems with since day one. Long story short, the “custom valved” Fox shocks designed specifically for my Carli suspension lasted less then 30k miles before the seals failed with freeway driving. Fox has a one year warranty which is is the worst warranty in the industry. Don’t waste your money.
I ran bilstein 5100s on my 10klb ‘99 super duty for over 200k miles with no issues at a fraction of the price. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

#12 ·
For load managing, i used tree wedges preloading the lower overload and fabbed a spacer on my upper overloads. Fairly simple if you have any skills and cost about $50 for both. Works awesome hauling my 5k lb slide in camper
Or you could buy Torklift Stableloads which do the same thing for about $600. The wedge is probably all you need.

Attachments

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#14 ·
I agree with WPETKO shocks are meant to dampen not carry the load.
DENNY

#16 ·
I have Bilstein 5100's and their steering stabilizer on my truck and they've been great.

The stabilizer started leaking (probably due to gravel hitting the exposed shaft) and Bilstein replaced it for me without batting an eye. I just sent them a pic of the puddle and the stabilizer model # and they sent me a new one. The place I bought it from (mail order) wouldn't even respond to me when I asked about the warranty.

Can't ask for a better warranty than the factory rep gave me.

#17 ·
Well, I guess that I'll revive this older thread. I replaced the poor quality Rancho's on my 2012 within the first few months of buying it, with Bilstein 5100's. I've been a believer in these shocks and have them on other vehicles. Now that I have 50,000 miles on this set, under a heavy loaded fifth wheel, on my last trip, the truck really rode rough and hit hard on every dip in the road. I contacted Bilstein and they informed me that the shocks are worn out and need to be replaced. I asked about the Life Time Warranty replacement and was told that it only applied to manufacturer's defect, not normal life of the shock. That was news to me; I thought a Lifetime Warranty was just that. I have a lot of Lifetime parts that are good to the original purchaser for life. So, I guess, lifetime is whatever the manufacturer defines. Anyway, what's better than Bilstein? I need new shocks.

#18 ·
Should have read the warranty before purchase and/or installation....

The BILSTEIN warranty structure is divided in three durations – reflecting the typical usage of the individual product. Rare for the performance automotive industry, BILSTEIN offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original purchaser that our product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the damper.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/understanding-bilstein-warranty-procedures-policy/

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/technology-and-knowledge/warranty/

#19 ·
I have/had read the warranty but had a different interpretation. My interpretation was if the shocked failed while on the original vehicle, and to the original purchaser, ............doesn’t matter. Interpretations vary.

#20 ·
Clev,
That was my understanding as well.
Lifetime does not mean much otherwise.

Did you talk to them about rebuilding your current Bilsteins?

#21 ·
Good afternoon, Arctic. I did not speak about rebuilding, I did address the Lifetime warranty and was told that the shocks had reached their 'normal lifetime'. They are a good company and a good shock, but I'm going to look and compare before I decide on a replacement.

#22 · (Edited)
Well that used to be a joke about “Lifetime” Warranty...that the lifetime was however long the part lasted.

Here is an attachment from Bilstein website:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.