'2013 F350 Dash lights and no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2013 F350 Dash lights and no start

Well here is a good one for you guys. My 2013 F350 6.7 PSD is having some serious loss of communication issues.

My setup is as follows
2013 F350 6.7 PSD
H&S Mini Max Tuner with full DPF/DOC/EGR delete
5" Flo Pro straight pipe
Recon Projector Headlights with HID's
Recon LED Tailights
LED Turn signal bulbs
Retractable steps from Amp Power
Recon Amber/Ice light bars

Basically my issue is I lose all communication between modules. I come up with some U codes, searched forum before posting didn't apply to issue. My programmer loses communication with the OBDII and the rest of the truck. When this happens my dash lights up with the wrench, engine overheat, low oil pressure, service advance trac, hill decent control fault. Plus the TPMS light comes on occasionally.

In addition to those issues I also experience loss of HVAC control, no spedometer, tach, boost, gear selector, oil temp, engine coolant temp. The truck will continue run until I stop. No shuddering, no hard shifts, and idles perfect. Once I stop though and shut off truck, that is where the real fun starts. Since there is a wrench light, it will NOT START.

To get the truck started I have to pull off the negative battery terminals. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. After that, I can start the truck and go down the road for an indeterminate amount of time. The problem does continue to occur randomly, sometimes more sometimes less.

Local Ford dealer had the truck for a week and has replaced the following. Dash cluster, ABS module, and checked all the wires. Took out drivers seat and done test drives. Biggest issue is the programmer for them. So I am taking everything out. Hopefully back to stock takes care of issue, but I am not so sure of it neither is the dealer. Looks like only solution is a replacement truck

I know this is just a ton of variables involved, but any suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM

Batteries? Checked all the grounds? Surprised your deler would touch a modified truck.?

-- 2013 F-350 psd, 4x4, cc, lb, Lariat
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM

advance trac

2013 F-350 lights and wrench came on, flashed- Service Advancetrac - Truck shut down and would not strart. Had power but no crank. Towed to dealer who now says nothing is wrong with truck. Runs and drives no problem. Is there an advance trac that requires servicing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMontana View Post
2013 F-350 lights and wrench came on, flashed- Service Advancetrac - Truck shut down and would not strart. Had power but no crank. Towed to dealer who now says nothing is wrong with truck. Runs and drives no problem...
Welcome to the site, LMontana! Have the warnings returned since you came back from the dealership? What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09F3506.4 View Post
Well here is a good one for you guys. My 2013 F350 6.7 PSD is having some serious loss of communication issues.

My setup is as follows
2013 F350 6.7 PSD
H&S Mini Max Tuner with full DPF/DOC/EGR delete
5" Flo Pro straight pipe
Recon Projector Headlights with HID's
Recon LED Tailights
LED Turn signal bulbs
Retractable steps from Amp Power
Recon Amber/Ice light bars

Basically my issue is I lose all communication between modules. I come up with some U codes, searched forum before posting didn't apply to issue. My programmer loses communication with the OBDII and the rest of the truck. When this happens my dash lights up with the wrench, engine overheat, low oil pressure, service advance trac, hill decent control fault. Plus the TPMS light comes on occasionally.

In addition to those issues I also experience loss of HVAC control, no spedometer, tach, boost, gear selector, oil temp, engine coolant temp. The truck will continue run until I stop. No shuddering, no hard shifts, and idles perfect. Once I stop though and shut off truck, that is where the real fun starts. Since there is a wrench light, it will NOT START.

To get the truck started I have to pull off the negative battery terminals. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. After that, I can start the truck and go down the road for an indeterminate amount of time. The problem does continue to occur randomly, sometimes more sometimes less.

Local Ford dealer had the truck for a week and has replaced the following. Dash cluster, ABS module, and checked all the wires. Took out drivers seat and done test drives. Biggest issue is the programmer for them. So I am taking everything out. Hopefully back to stock takes care of issue, but I am not so sure of it neither is the dealer. Looks like only solution is a replacement truck

I know this is just a ton of variables involved, but any suggestions would be appreciated

I just dealt with this EXACT issue a week ago. Mine would throw the same faults and the speedometer (all gauges) would die but the truck would still run until it shut off. It started out doing it randomly and then all of the sudden everything would come back after a minute or so. Then it got worse until even unhooking the batteries overnight wouldn't help.

I had it towed and the dealer replaced the Ignition lock cylinder and fixed a connector in the wiring harness. I will try to remember to upload what the tech did to fix it but everything works now.

2013 F350 6.7 CCLB Lariat
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 AM

I'm having these exact issues with my 2013 F250 6.7.... This is the 3rd time back to the dealer in 2 months. They have replaced the ignition and PCM. I picked it up yesterday evening and never made it out the parking lot without it throwing all the codes up again. What is the connector they replaced. Thanks
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Have the dealer check the can network cable connection above the e brake. Have had that issue in 2 ambulances. Had a bad pin connection

1997 F350 SRW, 4 dr, LB 2wd. leather seats, electric folding rear bench. 3.55 rear end. tymar intake. rolling bed cover. front and rear reciever hitches. pulse tech solar battery charger
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Network faults can be tricky to diagnose and most times in my experience it is wiring. Almost every time I see one of these it is the HSCAN network that is taken out. COMMON wiring locations to inspect: he left front inner wheel well, Under the driver's door sill trim and the harness that goes around the engine on the engine. Typically it is a chafe point with corroded and broken wiring. White and light blue wires...

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 PM

I have a 2015 F350 with this exact problem...started randomly and then did it pretty consistently. I dropped it off Monday at the dealer and picked it up this morning. They spent Tuesday messing with it, as the failure was actually happening. They checked everything, but could not figure it out. Started working on it Wednesday, it never failed again. They spent all day Thursday and Friday going through as they were perplexed... They have given me the truck back and left the ticket open for the upcoming week, in case it comes back...

I am a religious user of the parking brake...I had noted that when the truck was acting up, pulling over and applying the parking brake, then releasing it caused it to fix itself. I may run down and have them check the commas cable mentioned above.

I do have an Edge CTS installed, the reason I knew about the U codes, it took some convincing that it was not a tuner, which the tech verified...

Glad this popped up here...

Cale

Cale
US Navy 1995-Present

2015 F-350 CCLB DRW, Lariat,
2nd Gen. 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel,
440HP/860TQ, Torque Shift 6-speed,
Metallic w/Black Leather Interior,
14,000 LB GVWR,
4x4,
4.30 Gears,
Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg.,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
98 gallon Transfer Flow Bed Tank,
Timbrens,
10,150 lbs (CAT),
29,950 lbs with 2014 Voltage 3950 Toy Hauler (CAT).
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I have found that covering my parking break with my foot when releasing has stopped this issue.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I plan on looking at the wiring harness like suggested above.

Should not be an issue like this on these trucks. I hope Ford watches these sites and sees the ridiculous issues that arise from normal usage.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdauzat View Post
I'm having these exact issues with my 2013 F250 6.7.... This is the 3rd time back to the dealer in 2 months...
Welcome to the forum, Jdauzat! Could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck currently? I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by converted View Post
I have a 2015 F350 with this exact problem...started randomly and then did it pretty consistently. I dropped it off Monday at the dealer and picked it up this morning. They spent Tuesday messing with it, as the failure was actually happening. They checked everything, but could not figure it out. Started working on it Wednesday, it never failed again. They spent all day Thursday and Friday going through as they were perplexed... They have given me the truck back and left the ticket open for the upcoming week, in case it comes back...
Let me know if it comes back as well, converted; I'll do what I can to help out from my neck of the woods. What's the current mileage on your rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09F3506.4 View Post
I plan on looking at the wiring harness like suggested above...
Come back and tell us what you find, 09F3506.4. Have you been back to the dealer since your original post? How many miles are on your truck now?

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post

Let me know if it comes back as well, converted; I'll do what I can to help out from my neck of the woods. What's the current mileage on your rig?

Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for looking out. I currently have 21,990 miles on my truck...

I am dropping it off again today to have them look at the cable mentioned above...also, I noticed that both batteries seem to be leaking battery fluid (through the top). I am concerned that there may be an overcharging problem...

Cale

Cale
US Navy 1995-Present

14,000 LB GVWR,
4x4,
4.30 Gears,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Timbrens,
10,150 lbs (CAT),
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by converted View Post
Crystal,

Thanks for looking out. I currently have 21,990 miles on my truck...

I am dropping it off again today to have them look at the cable mentioned above...also, I noticed that both batteries seem to be leaking battery fluid (through the top). I am concerned that there may be an overcharging problem...

Cale
It's my pleasure to help, Cale! PM me your details; I'll escalate you to the customer service manager (CSM) for your region. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:37 AM

Crystal,

Sent a PM with the requested information.

Break, Break

I dropped my truck off Monday night before departing on travel for the week. I received a phone call from the dealer last night (message, I landed late) saying they were pulling the Emergency Brake assembly off to check for potential chaffed wires. As noted earlier, when I actuated the Emergency Brake, the problem seemed to have momentarily fixed itself.

Cale

Cale
US Navy 1995-Present

14,000 LB GVWR,
4x4,
4.30 Gears,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Timbrens,
10,150 lbs (CAT),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in