'2013 starter intermediate 'click, click' - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2013 starter intermediate 'click, click'

Good morning,
I have a 2013 f250 6.7 125000 miles... When starting the truck it intermittently act like the batteries was dead.. Installed new motorcraft batteries.. Still having the same issue.. Alternator is putting out 14.3 volts. Check all connection on the ground and hot.. When hooking up a jump it starts with no wait time on charging...As soon as you hook the jumper cables up it starts no problem...

Any ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Thanks Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 AM

My Photos: (8)
The next time it happens rap the starter solenoid with a hammer (DO NOTHING ELSE) and try again, sounds like it is sticking.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Probably have to pull the cab to get to the starter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 PM

No, the starter can be removed by removing the passenger side front wheel inner fender and then rotating it up and out.

It comes out flywheel ending first over the top of the frame. Goes back in the same way.

Here is a video from Ford Service DVD that shows extracting the starter after removing the inner fender and block plug cord if installed.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Last edited by larrgh; 12-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.. I guess it's a waiting game to see when it will happen again.... will post the fix as soon as I can..thanks again. Bo
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbohanon View Post
Good morning,
I have a 2013 f250 6.7 125000 miles... When starting the truck it intermittently act like the batteries was dead.. Installed new motorcraft batteries.. Still having the same issue.. Alternator is putting out 14.3 volts. Check all connection on the ground and hot.. When hooking up a jump it starts with no wait time on charging...As soon as you hook the jumper cables up it starts no problem...

Any ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Thanks Bo
On Edit - Sorry, I just read the subject line and "Click, click" are I posted. If you hear a click from the starter solinoid, them maybe some of the things to try below are not helpful

When you first try to start, are you using the remote?

Does the problem happen just on cold days?

What battery did you connect the jumpers to? (Just for mind interest)

I assume you used a voltmeter to measure the output of the alternator? Check for voltage drop on the battery cables.

Check the voltage at both battery posts, they should be the same (the posts and not the cable clamp).

My 2013 was also having problems, it wouldn't start on a cold day in remote and almost wouldn't with the key. The truck's computer needs to see a certain voltage (over 12 volts I believe). There is a Mega Fuse block behind the passenger's battery, make sure that all the connections are clean and tight on that block. This is where the truck's computer gets it 12 volts from and where I think my problem was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F350 CC 4X4 Lariat SRW, Black.
Ordered Dec 2012 - Built Jan 11th 2013 - Picked up Jan 31, 2013.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ford Edge
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012

F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.

First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.

Last edited by MPD56; 12-07-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. both batteries are at 12.5 volts and the alternator is putting 14.5 volts.. It has no rhyme or reason... doesn't make a difference weather it is hot or cold outside... the mega fuse looks to be in good condition. When it does happen it will the motor will turn over about a half a second and then comes the click. click...

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Update.. I unplugged my tuner (ez-lynk) and it hasn't happened again.. Even though the tuner shouldn't be pulling that much power while not running.. But it hasn't happen again.."Yet"..
Thanks for all the support and responses..
Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in