2014 6.7 Maintenance - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 6.7 Maintenance

It is time for my new to me 2014 6.7 to get an oil change.
What oil do you guys use?
Is one filter better than the others?
Does the fuel filter need changing with each oil change?
Did I forget anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Wow pop corn time.
I personally only use Motorcraft full synthetic oil in all my fords and i have 5
Second you always change the oil filter every time. I trust Motorcraft.
Fuel filter I believe 30,000 miles is ok. Look in the owners manual to be sure.
Sure you can go cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't good
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

THANKS, I always change the filter with oil change, in fact, I think the filter change is more important than the oil change.
I remember the old 7.3 somebody said the fuel filter needed to be changed with the oil, I hope not!
I was hoping plain ol wallyworld cheap oil would be fine, along with a Motorcraft oil filter.
I swing for Mobil 1 synthetic for my GMC 4x4 with an LQ9 6.0, but you know how those LS engines have lifters ticking after a hard run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Ford Motorcraft oils are sold at Wal-Mart along with the Motorcraft oil filters. Pretty easy one stop, you can even get Howe's fuel additive there to help keep the fuel tank fresh.

For me MC 10w30 (recommended) is doing just fine and works best to keep the "typewriter" ticking away.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Fuel filters every 15k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

THANKS guy's, I guess I will use Motorcraft 10W30 and a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Fuel filter ...... now off to google to find out how to change the fuel filter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Motorcraft 10w30 is not full synthetic if it matters. Ford recommends 5w40 full synthetic or 15w40 dino for use with bio fuels up to 20.

Also, 5w40 is the oil Ford recommends for severe duty.

Most on other forums lean towards the 5w40 full synthetic oil over straight dino oil.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Last edited by larrgh; 02-26-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Motorcraft 10w30 is not full synthetic if it matters. Ford recommends 5w40 full synthetic or 15w40 dino for use with bio fuels up to 20.

Also, 5w40 is the oil Ford recommends for severe duty.

Most on other forums lean towards the 5w40 full synthetic oil over straight dino oil.
ĎCanít go wrong with 5-W-40 full synthetic. The cost difference is very minor compared to the cost of these engines or the cost to rebuild them.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAMS View Post
THANKS, I always change the filter with oil change, in fact, I think the filter change is more important than the oil change.
I remember the old 7.3 somebody said the fuel filter needed to be changed with the oil, I hope not!
I was hoping plain ol wallyworld cheap oil would be fine, along with a Motorcraft oil filter.
I swing for Mobil 1 synthetic for my GMC 4x4 with an LQ9 6.0, but you know how those LS engines have lifters ticking after a hard run.
The 6.7 has a 13 quart crank case. You have to make sure you get the correct oil. Not just any 10/30 oil will work. It has to be for diesels. This oil subject has been beaten to death but do a search to make sure you get the correct spec oil. I am not sure off the top of my head what that is. I always just go to the dealer. I also tow with mine so I only use full synthetic.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 AM

My Photos: (8)
If you are going to do your own oil changes and want to go full synthetic plan ahead and look for sales. I Run synthetic in all my vehicles and change once a year. I keep my eyes out for a sale and buy enough to do everything at once.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guy's, I will probably just go with the recommended Motorcraft 15W 40 from Walmart this time ...... if I can keep it running long enough to get the oil warm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in