'2015 F350 DRW transmission service interval - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2015 F350 DRW transmission service interval

From what I have found researching and owners manual, it states replace transmission filter and fluid at 150K. Dealer told me I need to service the transmission at 30K. I have 32K on the truck. It's a daily driver and I tow loaded around 15.5K lbs 5th wheel about 8 times a year.. Most trips include mountain grades. Also tow 6K lbs boat several times a year. What is the "normal" needed transmission service interval for a 350 dually? is the owners manual 150K ok? That sounds extreme and I was thinking unless having issues 1st service on the transmission at 60k.

2015 F350 SD DRW Crew
2018 Forest River Cardinal Estate 5th Wheel
2016 Hurricane 2486SD Boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Ford's Maintenance Schedule Website agrees with the owners manual, 150K. I don't see anything re the transmission at 30K. Here's the link:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account.../Ford/F-350/34

I'm with you, I would change it earlier at least by 100K. Fluid is inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

Phil Gregory
Best Synthetic Store

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM

My understanding is that this Ford 6 speed transmission was originally tested at max load for 250K miles with only OEM recommended maintenance service performed. It was designed to outperform the Allison which GM uses in their comparable trucks. I have contact with Ford techs who tell me they have not seen failures in this transmission that were not low fluid related. It's success is probably due in part to it having a separate cooling system not tied to the engine cooling system. I have over 170K miles on mine and it performs like a new one. I followed the service recommendations and had cooling system flushed, axle lubricants changed, transfer case and transmission fluid exchanged at the 150K mile mark. The tech (a friend of mine) told me the transmission fluid was dirty but not burnt. This is obviously not the transmissions of old.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually-SOLD!

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler

Last edited by badbart; 09-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM

The owners manual does indeed say to change at 150,000 miles. However, at 30,000 miles of hard use, I just drained the 8 quarts that come out of the pan and added fresh fluid. There is no access to the torque converter to drain it like I could on older trucks.

My wallet is $50 lighter. But I feel better about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in