5th Wheel Towing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Wheel Towing

5th Wheel Towing
Is anyone towing a 5th wheel at approximately 11,000 pounds with their 2019 (or '17 or '18 I suppose) F-250 (diesel, 4X4, shortbed CC). I'm trying to see if I am going to need air bags this time. They were really great on my '11 and '08. My 11K is my tow weight as I am normally loaded. I know the airbags from my '11 won't fit, but I'd like to see if I even need them. The new truck does have the camper package which is supposed to add an extra spring in the rear (per the Ford website). Will it be enough to forego the airbags this time?

Yeah yeah, I'll get my signature stuff updated.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
DKR

Best way to figure it out is to hook it up and see. What matters is the pin weight.

On my 15 I added air bags because my 5w pin is about 3k and it sagged the rear enough I didn't care for it, but also a lot of folks would have left it. I didn't install a compressor since they are usually empty and only used when we tow the 5w. I just ran the lines out of the license plate.

2015 Ford Platinum F350 CC SRW LB 4X4
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My Last FR Product)
20,000 LB Reese GooseBox Hitch
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Have a 2016 F250 cc, Sb 4x4 with camper package.
Trailer is 12499 I did not like the sqat to hit the helper springs. Only a couple of inches. I added the air bags to bring level. Air bags ride better loaded than standard springs and help on the bumps like shocks. I wouldn't even think of running without them now. I air then down unloaded.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post
Best way to figure it out is to hook it up and see. What matters is the pin weight.

On my 15 I added air bags because my 5w pin is about 3k and it sagged the rear enough I didn't care for it, but also a lot of folks would have left it. I didn't install a compressor since they are usually empty and only used when we tow the 5w. I just ran the lines out of the license plate.
This is how I had my '08 set up. I carried a small air tank to air them up when I was out with the camper. But my trailer doesn't weigh this much, and the pin weight won't be as much. I weighed my stuff a few years back with my '11, but don't remember the numbers. But I think you may be right. I can always add the bags at any time. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner II View Post
Have a 2016 F250 cc, Sb 4x4 with camper package.
Trailer is 12499 I did not like the sqat to hit the helper springs. Only a couple of inches. I added the air bags to bring level. Air bags ride better loaded than standard springs and help on the bumps like shocks. I wouldn't even think of running without them now. I air then down unloaded.

RoadrunnerII

This is much closer, though still outweighs mine. It does give me an idea though. I agree the ride is much better with airbags. That's why I had them on both my '08 and '11. I was hoping though with the extra spring it might not be needed. Maybe my pin weight will be light enough to get by without them, but I may have to wait and see like DKR said. Thanks Roadrunner.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM

No problem! Wife and I are very happy with the way our truck rides with and without the trailer. . End of the day if the truck makes you and your passengers smile you get where you are going safely its good enuff!

RoadrunnerII
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
This is how I had my '08 set up. I carried a small air tank to air them up when I was out with the camper. But my trailer doesn't weigh this much, and the pin weight won't be as much. I weighed my stuff a few years back with my '11, but don't remember the numbers. But I think you may be right. I can always add the bags at any time. Thanks.

This is much closer, though still outweighs mine. It does give me an idea though. I agree the ride is much better with airbags. That's why I had them on both my '08 and '11. I was hoping though with the extra spring it might not be needed. Maybe my pin weight will be light enough to get by without them, but I may have to wait and see like DKR said. Thanks Roadrunner.

Last edited by Roadrunner II; 09-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in