Batteries - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Batteries

Purcased 2015 6.7l diesel 5mos. ago No issues but planning 4-5000 mile road trip soon and wanted to ask>If there a test that can tell the condition of the batteries ? One is Motor Craft with a round sticker 3/17 It is has serial # 021817 Other is No brand name but "Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield ,Mo. I believe it to be from "O'Reilly"? It also has same type of sticker with 5/18. Can I take those stickers to be date of install or date of manufacture?

Last question will truck still start if one battery dies?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Those mm/yy stickers are the last time the battery was “serviced”. The battery is manufactured and then received by a regional distributor. This distributor then delivers the battery to a retailer such as O’Reilleys Auto Parts.

About every month the regional distributor makes the rounds to this retailer to deliver new batteries, take away old battery cores for recycling and, to take back any batteries that have sat on the shelf for about 3 months (based on the date sticker you see).

Once back at the distribution warehouse, the battery is inspected and given a fresh charge and the old date sticker is removed and a new date sticker is applied with the current mm/yy. This battery is then rotated back out to a retail store in the region.

(Typically there will be a policy that a battery can remain in this circulation for maybe 12-18 months before being removed from retail sale.)

It is an encouraged practice to use two identical batteries in a dual system like our diesels. Same brand, same size, same age—this is the way to get the greatest longevity from the batteries because a weak battery paired with a new strong battery will place a greater demand on that new battery and result in it having a shorter life.

Also, if one battery of the pair is older (weaker) then there might not be sufficient amperage to meet the starting demands of your truck, especially in cold weather starting.

You can have a load test performed on your batteries. This is more involved than just testing the voltage. A battery can have 12.6 volts (a full charge) yet still fail a load test.

But if one of yours fails this load test then be prepared to replace both if you want to follow manufacturer recommendation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Some batteries have the production date hot stamped (melted) into the plastic case.

You should be ok on the trip. My 2015 was built in May of 2014 and the original batteries have shown no signs of being weak even after the truck sits 2 to 4 weeks at a time without being started. I would not hesitate to take my truck on a road trip. Plan on traveling from Alabama to the Denver area this summer pulling my 5th wheel with no plans of replacing the batteries prior to the trip.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
It is an encouraged practice to use two identical batteries in a dual system like our diesels. Same brand, same size, same age—this is the way to get the greatest longevity from the batteries because a weak battery paired with a new strong battery will place a greater demand on that new battery and result in it having a shorter life.

Also, if one battery of the pair is older (weaker) then there might not be sufficient amperage to meet the starting demands of your truck, especially in cold weather starting.

You can have a load test performed on your batteries. This is more involved than just testing the voltage. A battery can have 12.6 volts (a full charge) yet still fail a load test.

But if one of yours fails this load test then be prepared to replace both if you want to follow manufacturer recommendation.
This. I always replaced both of my batteries at the same time. Always went with the dealer batteries, just because everything else was done there. But as said, always same time, same brand.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When and if you have a load test done you need to disconnect the batteries from each other. I usually just undo the ground on the battery being tested.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post

You should be ok on the trip. My 2015 was built in May of 2014 and the original batteries have shown no signs of being weak even after the truck sits 2 to 4 weeks at a time without being started. I would not hesitate to take my truck on a road trip. Plan on traveling from Alabama to the Denver area this summer pulling my 5th wheel with no plans of replacing the batteries prior to the trip.
Two mismatched batteries of unknown Cranking Amps and date stickers 14 month apart and the owner has no knowledge of their history.

With any luck you will be carrying jumper cables on your summer road trip for when he can’t start his truck on his summer road trip. 😉

Heck, you are probably right, he will probably be fine, but if it were me, I would do like the OP and get them tested.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 AM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVAL View Post

Thanks again
Probably not. Because the batteries are wired in parallel if one battery fails it will likely drain the good one. I replaced the batteries in my truck last year because of a no start. I charged and load tested both of them, one failed the other passed. I kept the one that checked good for my son for his trailer and it still tests good. In my trucks and any dual battery trucks that come into my shop I always replace the batteries in matched pairs if either fail.

Also, I am pretty sure that if the BCM detects too much of a drop in the battery voltage when cranking it protects the starter by not cranking, you just get a rapid clicking from the starter. This will occur with one bad battery.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVAL View Post
Purcased 2015 6.7l diesel 5mos. ago No issues but planning 4-5000 mile road trip soon and wanted to ask>If there a test that can tell the condition of the batteries ? One is Motor Craft with a round sticker 3/17 It is has serial # 021817 Other is No brand name but "Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield ,Mo. I believe it to be from "O'Reilly"? It also has same type of sticker with 5/18. Can I take those stickers to be date of install or date of manufacture?

Thanks again
Yes, there is a test that can tell the condition of the batteries. Bring your batteries into any O'Reilly Auto Parts store for a complete diagnostic check at no charge.

Yes, Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield, MO is a subsidiary of O'Reilly Auto Parts.

No, your truck probably will not start if one battery dies.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM

If not cold out, your truck should start and run on one battery as long as the dead battery was removed from the circuit.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in