A couple questions on towing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roadrunner II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A couple questions on towing

I recently bought a 2016 F-350 crew cab. It's replacing my old trusty 97 F-350 crew cab 7.3. We use the truck almost exclusively for towing our 29' travel trailer which weighs in about 8200 pounds. In order for the 'old trusty' to handle this job I had lots of upgrades (Banks intercooler, Banks billeted torque converter, Banks trans-command, second tranny cooler, D-Celerator exhaust brake, 4" exhaust, pillar guages, and on and on). Towing in the mountains, I learned to work the old boy like a Stradivarius, watching the gauges like a hawk. That was EGT, tranny temp, and boost.

Now that I have this new and improved (I hope) 2016 truck, I'm getting ready to make our first road trip with trailer in tow. We will be headed over the mountains (going from northern NV through a bit of CA, and up into OR). I'm wondering if I need to be as watchful of all this sort of stuff, or does the truck pretty much take care of everything? Do I need to do any downshifting manually or does the computer sense this stuff and do it on its own? Tow haul is new to me, as is the downhill help stuff. I already miss my pillar gauges and will probably install them at some point if for no other reason that piece of mind.

But what do I do different with this new truck than I did with my 'old trusty'? How do I know what the EGT's are? Or is that somehow taken care of?

2016 F-350 Crew Cab. Thule AeroTab roof racks supporting Hullavator kayak racks (for lazy old people). Just added a Highway Products Pickup Pac, and their Truck Slide 'coaster'. Banks iDash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Congrads on the new truck. One of the new features is the tow haul engine braking. It automagically engages the engine brake when needed. Just tap the brake on a down grade. Tap again if you need it. If you want something to help monitor your 6.7 diesel do a search on Torquepro. You need the correct odbii bluetooth code reader with it. Its an app for android devices. I have it installed on our tablet. Gives you real time engine oil, transmission and coolant temps. Egt's. There are 4 of those. There are a long list of 6.7 specific things you can monitor. Tire pressures, def level.... For the truck I have the 2016 F250 6.7 crew cab short box lariat. Only 3 issues since new. Bad tire press monitor sensor. Both batteries went bad last November replaced under warranty and last month it went limp mode for the DEF injector was clogged up. There is a ford tsb for it. The ford dealer cleaned the def injector and updated the software on the power control module.
This truck has a lot of computer logic built in. Also a ton of emission related stuff. Motor is generally rock solid. Sensors and emission stuff is the problem stuff. Pulling our 5th wheel, 12500 lbs getting high 10-11 US mpg here in southwestern Ontario. About 20-22 US mpg without but we generally are under 60mph. No mountains here. Tons of power!
Enjoy the truck. It does what it is suppose to. Pull what ever you hook onto and does it well.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited by Roadrunner II; 09-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner II View Post
Congrads on the new truck

If you want something to help monitor your 6.7 diesel do a search on Torquepro.

For the truck I have the 2016 F250 6.7 crew cab short box lariat. Only 3 issues since new. Bad tire press monitor sensor. Both batteries went bad last November replaced under warranty and last month it went limp mode for the DEF injector was clogged up. There is a ford tsb for it. The ford dealer cleaned the def injector and updated the software on the power control module.

This truck has a lot of computer logic built in. Also a ton of emission related stuff. Motor is generally rock solid. Sensors and emission stuff is the problem stuff.

No mountains here. Tons of power! Enjoy the truck. It does what it is suppose to. Pull what ever you hook onto and does it well.

Thanks for the info Roadrunner. I just bought a Bosch code reader. I hate to spend even more money on readers, but the Torquepro does sound interesting. I'm planning on stopping at the local Ford dealer maybe today and ask about TSB's. I didn't buy the truck from them so we'll see how friendly they are to Carmax customers - ha.

All this DEF stuff, and the total computer control was what kept me from upgrading sooner. This stuff that can shut you down in the middle of nowhere (and the "middle of nowhere" is where wifey and I do most of our RV'ing) is, to me, scary. I'm 72 and I grew up working on cars all the time when I was a whippersnapper. Back then there were about five wires under the hood, and SO much room under there you could sit on your fender with you feet dangling into the engine compartment - and work on everything. NO MORE. I feel helpless when something goes wrong. I felt that way with my 97 7.3, and that had nothing compared to this beast. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE it so far. I can pretty much handle the technology, just as long as nothing goes wrong.

2016 F-350 Crew Cab. Thule AeroTab roof racks supporting Hullavator kayak racks (for lazy old people). Just added a Highway Products Pickup Pac, and their Truck Slide 'coaster'. Banks iDash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 03:24 PM

My Photos: (17)
I had some A-pillar gauges in my last truck (see sig) to monitor EGT, trans temp & voltage, but I was running a Super Chips tuner (mostly in tow safe mode) so I really wanted to keep up with EGTs. With my present Ď13 model 6.7 I have decided to leave everything bone stock; no tuners, intakes, exhaust or anything else because Iím more interested in warranty & longevity than any little bit of added performance. Besides, I think Iíve towed our 16,400 pound 5th wheel over every mountain pass in the western United States and I really donít think Iíve had my foot to the floor yet.
Just use tow haul mode when towing & you will be very happy. Itís almost like the transmission reads your mind & shifts up or down at exactly the right time.
Enjoy your truck,

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
I had some A-pillar gauges in my last truck (see sig) to monitor EGT, trans temp & voltage, but I was running a Super Chips tuner (mostly in tow safe mode) so I really wanted to keep up with EGTs. With my present Ď13 model 6.7 I have decided to leave everything bone stock; no tuners, intakes, exhaust or anything else because Iím more interested in warranty & longevity than any little bit of added performance.

Just use tow haul mode when towing & you will be very happy. Itís almost like the transmission reads your mind & shifts up or down at exactly the right time.
Enjoy your truck,

Yeah, I forgot to mention I have an Edge programmer on my 7.3 as well. So EGT's were high on my watch list. I had it set for "Safe Tow" so as not to run into too much trouble. I'm with you on the leaving everything stock now because of warranty. And besides, I know this truck has more power stock than my 7.3, even with all the upgrades and add-ons. I'm thinking I'm gonna be real happy with things left well enough alone. There's a huge gap between technology in the 97 Powerstroke and what they have done with the 6.7 in in my 2016. Can't wait to see how it drives this weekend when we take our first road trip. I'm expectingl big things . . .

I guess all I have to do is leave it in drive (in tow/haul) and let the computer(s) do their thing when I hit the mountains.

Right?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
Thanks for the info Roadrunner. I just bought a Bosch code reader. I hate to spend even more money on readers, but the Torquepro does sound interesting. I'm planning on stopping at the local Ford dealer maybe today and ask about TSB's. I didn't buy the truck from them so we'll see how friendly they are to Carmax customers - ha.

All this DEF stuff, and the total computer control was what kept me from upgrading sooner. This stuff that can shut you down in the middle of nowhere (and the "middle of nowhere" is where wifey and I do most of our RV'ing) is, to me, scary. I'm 72 and I grew up working on cars all the time when I was a whippersnapper. Back then there were about five wires under the hood, and SO much room under there you could sit on your fender with you feet dangling into the engine compartment - and work on everything. NO MORE. I feel helpless when something goes wrong. I felt that way with my 97 7.3, and that had nothing compared to this beast. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE it so far. I can pretty much handle the technology, just as long as nothing goes wrong.
So spend 35.00for a Bluetooth obdbII adapter amd run torquepro. It will read amy codes and has a built in search function so you cam kinda figure out wjat code means. Truck has tpms but it doesn't tell you which one fails or drps pressure. Just tpms error. Torquepro does
You can monitor or just have it alarm on anything. High temps low pressure what ever
I really like knowing what is going on with the truck but I am a farm raised retired IT guy. I tinker and fix what I can
So have fun with the truck just remember to look at yourself in the mirror for the big smile when you press the right foot down. More power than you can imagine! And its bone stock!

RoadrunnerII

MrTommy likes this.

Last edited by Roadrunner II; 09-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:20 AM

Tow haul Mode

I have a 2015 F350 DRW and love it for towing our 39' 15K lbs 5th wheel. I do have a question for those who responded and towing in the western US mountain passes. Being here in NC we have some mountains but nothing like out west. There is a CG we frequent that has a 8% grade with lots of curves. It's probably 2-3 mile decent at this grade. The campground is at the bottom of the decent. I have noticed each time after I pull into the campground, my rear breaks are smoking. Is there a way on an 8% grade even with tow haul mode on to keep the truck speed down for the curves?? I am not riding the breaks but with 15K lbs behind me and some sharp curves on approach, the tow haul is not keeping the speed down low enough for approach. So I have to hold the break down to get the speed down and then let off. Is there something else I should be doing?? Love the truck and tow power but hate to see my breaks smoking on decent.. I know if the campground turn off wasn't at the bottom I would probably never see this and the air would cool it off if I continued down straight stretch..

2015 F350 SD DRW Crew
2018 Forest River Cardinal Estate 5th Wheel
2016 Hurricane 2486SD Boat
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 AM

Which bluetooth ob2 scanner are you using ??

2015 F350 SD DRW Crew
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle2bfit View Post
Which bluetooth ob2 scanner are you using ??
The unit I use is a BAFX products Obd2 adapter. Had a 2 year warranty. BafxproDOTcom
I bought it in 2013. At the time it was android or windows only. No apple support. They now have an apple unit. I also purchased an Odb2 extension cable. Have the unit zip tied up under dash out of the way. It works with torquepro and forscan another app I have used. I used forscan to reset the tpms low pressure alarms lower because without the trailer I run under the factory pressure alarm setting on the rear tires. I have weighed truck and looked up the pressure to load charts so I know that I am safe. Don't like burning up the center of the tire tread.

RoadrunnerII

Last edited by Roadrunner II; 09-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle2bfit View Post
I have a 2015 F350 DRW and love it for towing our 39' 15K lbs 5th wheel. I do have a question for those who responded and towing in the western US mountain passes. Being here in NC we have some mountains but nothing like out west. There is a CG we frequent that has a 8% grade with lots of curves. It's probably 2-3 mile decent at this grade. The campground is at the bottom of the decent. I have noticed each time after I pull into the campground, my rear breaks are smoking. Is there a way on an 8% grade even with tow haul mode on to keep the truck speed down for the curves?? I am not riding the breaks but with 15K lbs behind me and some sharp curves on approach, the tow haul is not keeping the speed down low enough for approach. So I have to hold the break down to get the speed down and then let off. Is there something else I should be doing?? Love the truck and tow power but hate to see my breaks smoking on decent.. I know if the campground turn off wasn't at the bottom I would probably never see this and the air would cool it off if I continued down straight stretch..
When you start down the grade what gear are you in? How fast are you starting at? Make sure engine brake is on and tow haul and shift down at least one more gear than what you are doing now. Tap the brake pedal should drop a gear automatically tap again and should drop another. It may seem too slow but will save your service brakes.

Just my 1/2 cent
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanks I'll have to pay more attention next time towing and see. I have only experienced this on this one certain grade. Other 7-8% grades I run don't have the sharpe curves so I can pretty much just let it roll and the tow haul mode works fine controlling it. Last time on the steep with sharp curves I noticed that even gearing down to 3rd wasn't keeping me from having to hit the brakes approaching the curves and rpm was up to 4200... I like to see that only around 3500 - 3700 on a decent.

2015 F350 SD DRW Crew
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:28 PM

So start the decline in second. You should be able to keep your speed down low enough then for the curves. I know thats a really low gear but for what you are doing I would try it. Burning up service brakes means no brakes at the wrong time and place

RoadrunnerII

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner II View Post
So start the decline in second. You should be able to keep your speed down low enough then for the curves.

And don't worry if you're holding someone up behind you. The secret to that is - don't look in the mirror. I've done some really steep, narrow, curvy downhills in Idaho where there was a logging truck behind me, and I was in my old 97 with drum brakes on my rears. I could hear his Jake back there, and once I found a wide spot to move over, I did. But prior to that, tough you-know-what for him - ha. I just cruised along in 2nd at about 20 mph. Agonizingly slow, but I'm here to tell about it.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:25 PM

My Photos: (17)
[QUOTE=cycle2bfit;4639552]Is there a way on an 8% grade even with tow haul mode on to keep the truck speed down for the curves??[/Q

First, I find it odd that your rear brakes would be hot & smoking. What about the front brakes? Since you didnít mention them Iím assuming that they are not hot. This is odd. If anything were hot it would be the front brakes. Maybe your rear brakes are out of adjustment (too tight?). I would have that checked out.
As far as coming down an 8% grade with tight turns - the best thing you can do is get your truck into the lowest possible gear, even 1st gear if possible. Also start down the grade very slow. You may have to do this anyway to get into a lower gear. Iíve done this towing our 16,400 pound 5th wheel many times on 7% grades that lasted many miles with no problems.
Good luck.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in