Death Wobble OUR Us - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Death Wobble OUR Us

We experienced Death Wobble yesterday after hitting a rough bridge transition at 65 mph towing a 9400 lb. fifth wheel camping trailer. I had to slow to less than 30 mph before it would stop. Luckily I was on a straight section of Interstate and no one hit me in the rear. Truck is stock 2012 F-350 6.7 CCSB SRW except for shocks (Bilstein 5100) and steering stabilizer (Rancho 5415) that I had changed out at 62K miles in an effort to prevent this problem—truck now has 80K miles.
Questions:
1. Being my first experience, all I knew was to brake and get slowed down (instinctive mostly). If there is room to move will a slight turn to the side and back to center break the oscillation?
2. The 4 Wheel Parts store talked me out the Bilstein stabilizer that I wanted saying that it was pressurized, and would pull to the side all the time. They suggested the Rancho 5415. After the work the steering didn’t feel a bit tighter. Is that a junk stabilizer? Should I just go back to a Ford Stabilizer if I put the truck into the Ford shop for work?
3. I’m more inclined to find and fix loose parts than go to a dual stabilizer--good approach?
4. From reading it sounds like the track bar is a likely suspect—thoughts? I do plan on having the whole front end checked out but am un-sure whether to go to Ford or independent. One independent I know will recommend replacing with Moog parts which usually means a grease zerk. Is this better and more likely to last a long time than the Ford parts?
5. I don’t do my own work—anyone know a good suspension/alignment shop in central Indiana?

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 PM

I'm just wondering, does this problem exist only in the 4x2 trucks or 4x4's also?

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 PM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
Oh man. U said death wobble!!!! Some folks on here don?t like that term. Lol

It happens on 4X4s.
I took my truck in a couple of months ago. They put a new steering stabilizer on and it seems better

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincster View Post
Oh man. U said death wobble!!!! Some folks on here don?t like that term. Lol

It happens on 4X4s.
I took my truck in a couple of months ago. They put a new steering stabilizer on and it seems better
Has anyone ever died as a result of the "Death Wobble"?

According to Google, it looks like Dodge, Jeep, Ford, Harley....are all prone to the Death Wobble.

Doesn't Motorcraft now sell Ball Joints with zerks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 10-30-2017 at 07:28 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 AM

My Photos: (6)
I run the Bilstein unit with no issues to report with "pulling to the side". Sure the road crown will cause this on any vehicle. I can hit some sections of roadway, let go of the wheel, and it runs straight and true with NO pulling.

I would get an alignment done to see how much castor you have right now. I know they may say it's in spec but it seems the more castor the better.

If you are a good study of geometry I think you can find a solution easier using math plus a dash of physics. Just consider all the angles and influences involved with the front suspension from the arms to the tires contacting the ground.

I wouldn't go to shop until you have exhausted your own efforts to find a solution.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM

My Photos: (17)
I experienced this same oscillation & thought I needed to replace the steering stabilizer. As it turns out, I had 3 ball joints and a drag link go bad. These parts were replaced along with a new Monroe steering stabilizer & a front end alignment. I was concerned because the truck has only 47,000 miles on the clock, but the shop guy said that these big trucks are hard on front end parts. 'Just my luck.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
I experienced this same oscillation & thought I needed to replace the steering stabilizer. As it turns out, I had 3 ball joints and a drag link go bad. These parts were replaced along with a new Monroe steering stabilizer & a front end alignment. I was concerned because the truck has only 47,000 miles on the clock, but the shop guy said that these big trucks are hard on front end parts. 'Just my luck.
it's been beat to death on all the forums, a new stabilizer only dampens the problem, piviot points wearing out are the issue, the most expensive "fix" is to upgrade, like my 97 should upgrade to superduty grade balljoints, superduty upgrade to f450/550 parts, honestly the balljoints and links aren't strong enough to hold up to the front end weights and wear issues imposed by our trucks shear mass, upgrade and it cuts down drastically on wear since it's spread over larger areas

or just replace all BJ's and wear components every 50k miles

kinda odd tho, ive never had death wobble on 2wd trucks... even ones that were so wore out the tires had an inch of movement side-to-side... it's always been on my 4x4s
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 05:01 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I run the Bilstein unit with no issues to report with "pulling to the side".
Ditto - Did have one go bad - leaked all the fluid out, but Bilstein warrantied it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmalee View Post
it's been beat to death on all the forums, a new stabilizer only dampens the problem, piviot points wearing out are the issue,
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Doesn't Motorcraft now sell Ball Joints with zerks?
That may not help either, once the ball joints are worn.
I made the mistake of greasing the front end components on my first Model A. Displaced the nicely hardened grease that was holding the alignment. Thought I'd take it for a run to see how it did, and HOLY CRAP! it wobbled so bad that it slowed itself down. I was able to get it under control with a slight turn. Took it back and adjusted things (the tie-rod ends had spring loaded cups, so tightening them just a bit took care of things.)

A '12 with 80k miles shouldn't be significantly worn unless maintenance has been neglected. It could likely to be an alignment problem rather than worn components. He didn't say whether it was 4x4. I don't think either 4WD or 2WD are immune to "death wobble".
ArcticDriver likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, folks for the comments. I've been reading on line and talking to some service shops around town. I'm leaning toward an evaluation at an independent shop, fixing everything that they find worn plus a new heavier, after-market, track bar and new steering stabilizer (of course followed by alignment). I'd like to put the next episode off for another 80K miles.

2012 F-350 SRW CCSB XLT 6.7
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

The independent shop replaced the drag link and tie rod end that they found to be worn. They found no problem with the track bar, so I'll put off replacement for now. May go with heavier after market bar when the bushing and ball joint need replacement from wear. I wanted to dump the Rancho steering dampener so we went back with Ford. Shop found that the Ford dampener was WAY stiffer than the Rancho that came off, so their theory is that it might have been the biggest art of the problem. Time will tell as we travel Indiana's tax cutting lack of repair roads.

Thanks for all of the information along the way.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM

My Photos: (180)
Thanks for closing the loop on this.

Hope that you're good for another long while.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM

Hey all!

Having the same problem. I would hit a bump in the road, the front end would "hop" and shake violently. I though I was going to slam into the concrete barrier. The steering wheel would also shake at speed when taking a long sweeping curve on the interstate.

Mentioned it to the dealer when I was in for service. Said couldn't find anything except my tires needed balancing. That was $80 and continued to 'shake'. Took it to the dealer where I purchased for the next service and told them about the problem. They replaced the trac bar under warranty and did an alignment. They said the tires needed to be balanced. I passed on that and took the truck to Les Schwab for a balance. They told me they were in balance.

Just got back from a 1,200 miles round trip and had the same issues.

Truck is going in for 50k mile service this Friday. What could still be the issue? What should I tell me service advisor to do? It's under extended warranty.

Thanks!

2014 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate 4X4 Crew Cab 6.7 PSD
Purchased 9/14
Ruby Red

2004 Excursion XLT 6.0 PSD
105k miles as of 9/18
Stock

2006 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab 6.0 PSD (Sold)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 06:29 PM

redneckinsac, since no one else has answered in several days i will give you my opinion.

these trucks don't come with enough caster from the factory. seems like the trucks with lift kits that have adjustable trac bars and adjustable radius arms don't have this problem. my "band aid" for death wobble was icon caster/camber sleeves, pro comp double steering stabilizer with fox dampeners, and a heavy duty adjustable trac bar. full disclosure i added a leveling kit which takes away even more caster, so adding caster bushings got me back up to factory spec.

so my truck still wants to do the death wobble, but i can feel the dampeners not letting it happen. cary towery at CT Performance helped me. good luck.

'99 F250 PSD 4wd CC LWB, 400+K Hard Miles!!! Sold

Never been in the shop in it's life!!!

this truck was the WINNER of the 2013 Tough Truck Challenge by Ford Commercial Vehicles Division! that's how we got the '14!

'14 F350 LWB SRW Crew Cab Lariat

'00 Excursion 7.3 2wd
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Long term follow up: Almost 2 years and 32,407 miles later, we have not experienced any more wobble. And, we've been across the same bridge transition, many times. So, stock cures on a stock truck seem to have taken care of things. I'll probably get a check up soon.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Just curious why so many low mileage trucks experience this. I have 184K on mine and have never had any front end problems other than a bad wheel hub at around 150K miles.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in