Disconnecting a battery temporary - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disconnecting a battery temporary

Battery post/clamp on driver side has minor corrosion, or that green powder. Would like to remove post clamps, clean thm off.

Can this be done while second battery still connected, keeping the system, computers hot?

I take my truck to dealer, those Quick Change thingie place, but any tech servicing my truck fails to spot, clean battery posts.

Donít know if thereís a spray cleaner to clean, wash the green stuff away? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM

As long as you don't let the positive side touch anything.
Go go the parts store and look near the battery stuff. Cleaner and protectant can be had.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM

If i am leaving one battery attached, I will get a cloth of decent thickness such as a wash clothe and wrap it around the positive cable end that is removed. The clothe acts as an insulator.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

If you have corrosion on your battery terminals you need a new battery. It won't be long till it will go out and wonder where it will leave you stranded. Never in the driveway and always on the way to work.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 AM

Yes, you can clean your battery terminals and cable connections, one battery at a time. You just need to be very careful not to let the positive cable to come in contact with any part of the body, which is grounded. You do not want to be arch welding.
Since this sounds like the first time you have services a batter, safety is critical. Wear safety glasses, rubber gloves, and old clothes. Battery acid, which is sulfuric acid, will eat thru clothes and skin.
Prior to touching anything near your batteries it is a good idea to neutralize the acid that maybe on and around the battery.
A few tablespoons of backing soda mixed with warm water in a 1 liter bottle should be plenty for each battery. This mixture can be poured or sprayed directly on the terminals and cable connector. You will know it is working because it will bubble/foam. Keep applying the mixture until it no longer bubbles/foams. Use plenty of fresh water to rinse everything down. If you have the time, it is also a good idea to pull the battery to thoroughly clean the battery compartment.
Now you can remove cable connectors from the battery terminals. Using the battery cleaning tool, clean the battery posts by sliding the tool over the post and turn the tool clockwise until the post is clean. Then take the cap off the tool and use the wire brush to clean out the inside of the cable terminal connector.
I also recommend that you purchase the Red and Green felt washers that go over the battery posts.
I also recommend using the special protective grease that you will spread over the battery posts and terminal connectors after the connectors are reinstalled on the battery posts. I use a flux brush to spread the grease.
This is not a hard job. The cleaner you get all the parts, will result in better electrical connections.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryCleaningTool.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	126484  

Name:	batteryProtector.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	126486  

Name:	fluxbrush.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	126490  

Attached Images

larrgh and wpetko like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Battery post clamp

Good information. Got the answer I suspected. Just wanted to hear from others if one battery could be disconnected for service. Thanks for the info.

I had similar issues with the passenger side battery, just not bad, just merely brushed it, washed it off with fresh water. The battery post clamp itself was seeing the junk on it. Here, the driver side battery has junk under the clamp. So I blieve need to remove the clamp to clean off under it.

So far, even tho passenger side battery as cleaned off, it is still going, hot. Know that if corrosion sets at battery post, conductivity will be impaired, likely results in no start or recharging.

Truck is 7 yo, OEM batteries failed in about year 4. Realized the Ford ESP not cover replacement, so my $$ to replace, and an expensive proposition.

Back in my old mechanic days, seen many battery posts serverly covered in that junk. Used to remove the clamp, mechanically scrape, clean them. Then applied a coat of Permetex gasket sealer paste (anyone remember Pemetex?).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
If i am leaving one battery attached, I will get a cloth of decent thickness such as a wash clothe and wrap it around the positive cable end that is removed. The clothe acts as an insulator.
This is a good thing to do. I do something similar, but I use an old piece of inner tube. A piece of bicycle inner tube is perfect, but any inner tube will work. Just go to any tire store & they will probably give you an old tube.
larrgh likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Yup....remember Permatex.......hardening and non-hardening varieties....prior to RTV becoming so popular and cheap

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I do this all the time. I use a rubber bungee cord attached to the hood to hold the positive clamp up and out of the way.
larrgh and wpetko like this.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Battery post connection cleaning

I have removed the + connector and cleaned the post and connector. I had to use cordless drill motor and rotary wire brush to get it clean. Couple of thought spots. And I also notice the clamp connector part is copper.

This connector was pushed down on the post to the very top of the battery. Checking the passenger side, I saw that its connector flush with batt post and maybe 1/4” above top of battery. And very clean.

So after I cleaned the driver side battery connector I reinstalled it, leaving a gap between top of batt and bottom of connector. Top of connector now flush to battery post, likebother battery connectors.

Thereafter found I had corrosion spray I just brought that’s is dielectric, notedcas good for battery post electrical connections. So applied some to the batteries posts. We’ll see how that goes.

Batteries are Motorcraft 850 CCA, and have green tags of 3/15 and 5/15. These were the replacement units, my record stating replaced 8/15. Hence, just over 3+ yrs old.

Hey guys, thanks for the info, big help. Keep on truckin!!

Last edited by CajunMick; 01-23-2019 at 06:00 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMick View Post
Battery post/clamp on driver side has minor corrosion, or that green powder. Would like to remove post clamps, clean thm off.

Can this be done while second battery still connected, keeping the system, computers hot?

I take my truck to dealer, those Quick Change thingie place, but any tech servicing my truck fails to spot, clean battery posts.

Donít know if thereís a spray cleaner to clean, wash the green stuff away? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pour your favorite cola or Dr. Pepper on the terminals. Then wipe with a rag. They contain a weak concentration of Phosphoric Acid and it takes all that crap off. You usually don't even have to remove the terminals from the posts. I like to use the Diet versions as they don't leave behind a sticky residue. It doesn't take a lot, and then you can finish off the rest of the can or bottle after your done. I also put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the clean battery terminals.

2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 V8
2011 F350 SRW 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7 V8 (Sold)
2006 F450 DRW 2X4 XLT Stake Bed Crew Cab 6.0 V8 (Sold)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0 V8
2003 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8
1967 F100 Pickup 352ci V8, C6 automatic
1972 Pontiac Lemans 400ci V8, Turbo-Hydromatic 400
1964 Pontiac Catalina 389ci V8, Roto-Hydromatic 375 (Slim-Jim)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Heard of some doing this. Maybe good idea, way to clean the posts. But donít want to pour any of wifeís Coke Zero here. She get peeved...
Besides donít want sweet smelling Coke on battery or itís tray. Might attract bugs.

Perhaps using TSP better. Basically this is soap, strong soap, known as degreaser cleaner, but stronger phosphate additive within. But I would still be leary using it here. Thinking of truck surroundings around battery areas.

Recently Painted our garage floor, used TSP to degrease and do lil bit etching. Get some on your hand, can feel it ďbitingĒ.

Thanks guys!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
An "old timer" once showed me that slowly pouring near boiling hot water on corroded terminals will melt away the fuzzies and green stuff. He was right much to my amazement. You can also dissolve a little baking soda in the water beforehand for some additional neutralizing. I still do this on really bad terminals though with today's stamped steel battery terminal clamps you may need to do some picking and brushing to open up cavities and seams. Believe it or not I discovered that Simple Green cleaner sprayed directly on the terminals is also quite effective.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I usually give my batteries a bath with a mixture of water and A&H Baking soda.

Not just the terminals but I'll poor it across the top of the battery and if there is any dirt/grease on the battery I'll use a soft brush to clean it off. The soda will neutralize the battery acid and you can then flush it away with a water hose.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I would do that too. But worry if those pop off caps do seal well enough. The thought of baking soda getting into battery cavity concerns me. Long ago I did that to one of my vehicles. Few days after cleaning, it was dead, gone. New battery.

Water, and only water should be ok, IMHO. And no telling whatís in tap water.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in