Drivers side grab handle broke off - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By wpetko
  • 3 Post By laajmalek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drivers side grab handle broke off

2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch:

So today I grabbed onto my driver's side grab handle to get in my truck and it broke clean off in my hand and placed me on my ass....Looking at the design shows very poor quality. It's mostly all plastic with a thin metal support bracket that doesn't really support much of anything. I have been noticing that the handle flexed a lot and seemed loose, but didn't think it would break off in my hand. Some people really depend on these things. It really looks like a lawsuit if you ask me...but you know how that would go.

The real question is will Ford replace under warranty or is there a TSB on this? I really wish an aftermarket company made a stronger unit to replace them with.

James

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 PM

I used the heck out of the one on my 2011, and never had an issue with it in the 8 years I had it. I haven't heard a lot about this being an "issue", though I have heard one other person that this happened to. It's been a a while back, and I don't remember the year of the truck. I hope it is not an actual "issue", because this new truck sits way higher and we (my wife and I) absolutely depend on them to get us up in this truck.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
I used the heck out of the one on my 2011, and never had an issue with it in the 8 years I had it. I haven't heard a lot about this being an "issue", though I have heard one other person that this happened to. It's been a a while back, and I don't remember the year of the truck. I hope it is not an actual "issue", because this new truck sits way higher and we (my wife and I) absolutely depend on them to get us up in this truck.
I did research on it and apparently it is an issue among many owners. To be clear, I'm 230 lbs, so I'm not overly too heavy for this part. All previous trucks had solid grab handles....this grab handle and even the passenger side one is far from solid. They are build flimsy and it is of a very poor quality design.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM

My Photos: (17)
Mine is loose feeling & it wiggles. I popped the cover off expecting to see some kind of bolt that I could tighten. There was some kind of screw head (Itís been a while so I donít remember exactly which one) so I tightened it as much as I possibly could, but it still feels loose. When I think about it I grab the steering wheel instead of the handle in hopes that this junky thing will last longer.
MrTommy likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
They are called assist handles Neither part is intended to bear the brunt of the weight of an adult and should never be used to pull yourself into the truck. I will admit that the late model Super Duty trucks seem to have flimsy handles in the a-pillars but this is nothing new. I personally have yet to see one broken however. Before these handles became the norm I used to occasionally see damaged upper steering column bearings from, let's say large men, pulling themselves into the cab by grabbing the wheel. I dare day that the a-pillar handles were NEVER intended to support a 300lb man in that way either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
They are called assist handles Neither part is intended to bear the brunt of the weight of an adult and should never be used to pull yourself into the truck. I will admit that the late model Super Duty trucks seem to have flimsy handles in the a-pillars but this is nothing new. I personally have yet to see one broken however. Before these handles became the norm I used to occasionally see damaged upper steering column bearings from, let's say large men, pulling themselves into the cab by grabbing the wheel. I dare day that the a-pillar handles were NEVER intended to support a 300lb man in that way either.
Assist....grab.... whatever. Ford put them there to grab onto. Shouldn't have designed it to be weak. If it has a limit to the amount applied draw, then it should be disclosed. Maybe Ford should also put disclosures of maximum weight on their rocker panels in case the floor pan gives way when you step in....... I have NEVER pulled on an "assist" handle that was designed so weak and dangerous.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM

For the 20 years I had my 97 Crew Cab, my wife complained endlessly about how tough it was to get into the truck. She's 130 pounds, so it was not a weight issue. It was a height issue. Finally, I got a set of Westen tube steps and that helped - but was not the solution. She finally quit *****ing when we upgraded to our 2016 Crew Cab - with the grab handles. So far, no looseness issues. And no more *****ing! Hopefully, 20 years from now when I might possibly consider upgrading, they'll still be just fine.

I'll be in my 90's by then, and may not upgrade at all -

2016 F-350 Crew Cab. Thule AeroTab roof racks supporting Hullavator kayak racks (for lazy old people). Just added a Highway Products Pickup Pac, and their Truck Slide 'coaster'. Banks iDash.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't have this truck without the step bars. I can't lift my leg that high anymore. LOL
I never use my grab handle but my wife uses hers all the time.
Power steps are nice. They tuck up under the truck if you like that look. They are $1,000 just so you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in