Extended Warranty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomshep
  • 1 Post By Stroking it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Extended Warranty

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I am seeking info about extended warranties. I hope to buy a 2014 to 2017 Ford Powerstroke and was wondering if anyone had favorable experiences with some warranties. I am familiar with some disaster stories but are some reputable company's?
These newer trucks seem loaded with expensive electronics which are great when they are working; however, when they go out it's a nightmare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:38 AM

I would do Ford ESP or nothing. It depends on age and miles on whether you can get it or extend it if already in place. Too many stories of third-party denying work or making it very difficult for shops to get paid.

I used Flood Ford online for mine.

Tom
HeavyAssault likes this.

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
Bye-bye 99 diesel-sucking automatic!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:23 AM

I am not a fan of these ESP's. I had one on my Taurus SHO and it was worthless. It never covered anything that i had to get fixed. I had problems with the trim on the taillights not covered. I had a trim piece that wasn't covered. And a couple other things not covered. It was a big waste of money.
As for the truck I would get a 15 or newer because the turbo design was improved. other than that my 15 F250 has been flawless. I did however have the upper oil pan leak which seems to be a problem with all these newer trucks. Get a oasis report from the dealer to see if the truck you get gas fixed the pan. Check for that leak its towards the back of the pan. Very expensive to fix. I believe its covered under the engine warranty. The electronics is better in the 17. I believe it has the Sync 3 which I hear is way better than my Sync 2 system I have. as for the truck itself I have the Lariat trim and love it. Just enough bling but not to much. Hard to upgrade the radio because so much is integrated into it. No sunroof never used it in my SHO. I have the super cab because i don't have any kids at home. I also use mine to tow my 34' 5th wheel. Good luck in your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It's your money. Buying the Ford ESP is going to be better over any third party product.

I had a few items covered under ESP. Nothing overly expensive if I had to pay out of pocket since I could afford it, but it was worth it to have it already covered. Seems as Ford is going to 150k on some plans for some vehicles.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 AM

My Photos: (17)
I am generally opposed to buying ANY extended warranty. I mean, you can buy them for refrigerators, ovens, washers, dryers, lawn mowers, small handheld electronics and ... well ... you get the idea. I find it better and cheaper to avoid extended warranties on anything & then just pay to repair whatever breaks. After many years, I feel that I am way ahead on money. Having said all that, I am scared to death of all the electronics & fuel systems on these trucks. I bought an extended warranty on my present truck (see sig). I never had anything go wrong so I never needed the coverage. However, if I bought a new truck today Iím sure that I would buy another warranty. Iím just that scared. My extended warranty expired last month & I have no plans to buy another one. I think that, after 6 years, the truck has proven itself to be very trouble free.
As far as your case, buying an extended warranty would depend on the truckís age, mileage & service record. Also the cost of the warranty. The price of these is always negotiable. I always find a way to tie my vehicle purchase to the price of the extended warranty (if purchasing a new vehicle). I will generally agree to anything that is 25% or more off of the first price they quote. As always, be ready to walk away from the deal & not buy. Thatís the only way you have any leverage at all.
Good luck & let us know how this all works out for you.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM

If you are worried about stuff braking on your truck than put some money in the bank just in case. Sure you won't pay interest on a ESP but you may lose money in the long run. You can't even use it for the first 3 years because the ESP starts when you first register the truck not after your factory warranty ends. It's just another way for the dealer to suck more money out of your pocket. Why not throw that in on the truck and use free oil changes as a bargaining chip. Remember there is a lot of things even the Platinum care doesn't cover. it may be a couple thousand to cover the truck. I just wouldn't do it. Been there and done that. Wasted my money
Phillippeterson likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 PM

The good

My wife bought a Jetta and purchased the ESP. Just before the ESP expired, I took the car to the VW dealership and asked them to inspect the entire car and repair everything wrong that they found, paid for by the ESP. They found an axle boot that was torn, which they replaced under ESP warranty. They also found that the radio didn't work, which they replaced with a used radio from a junkyard.

The bad

A good friend of mine bought a used car and purchased the ESP. The car died at idle while stopped at a red light; so he took it to the mechanic. The mechanic said that the camshaft was worn out and that it needed a new camshaft. The insurance company said that the warranty said, "new or used parts", so they would find an entire engine from a junkyard, and they would pay for the percentage of the value of the camshaft in the junkyard engine, and my friend would have to pay for the rest of the cost of the junkyard engine. My friend asked me to talk with the insurance agent. I told the insurance agent that my friend would not pay for the cost of the rest of the engine. He only wanted the replacement camshaft, not the entire engine. After going around and around with the insurance agent, he finally agreed to pay for the entire cost of the junkyard engine, which apparently was cheaper than taking out the camshaft and just replacing it. The junk yard engine was so worn out, that after it was installed, it smoked so bad with a huge plume of smoke behind it, and he could only drive for ten minutes at a time before it overheated, and he had to stop for about 20 minutes to let it cool.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in