GPS Warranty? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By larrgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Navigation Warranty?

I have been having an issue with my GPS not working properly. On several occasions it has lead me to a destination and then advised "You have reached your destination" when I am actually several blocks away. Generally when it does this I will notice that my position marker on the GPS is off on the on screen map. Usually off to the right for some reason. I took my truck in this morning for the issue and after I explained the problem, the girl looked my truck over and said she needed to prepare me for the possibility that it is not covered under warranty (my truck has 32K miles) and I may need to pay a $89.99 diagnostic check fee in addition to any necessary repairs. She claimed that my 35" tires were causing my issues. I told her I disagreed and that the only thing the tires would change is my speedo, which is not the issue I brought my truck in for. We went back and forth but she insisted my oversize tires were the problem. I explained that I had them put on across the street at the 4 Wheel shop that they send trucks to every day and she said that when they get them back they recalibrate them so that there is no issue. I again told her the recalibration was for the speedo not the gps. She continued to argue and told me to be prepared to pay for the diagnostics. I explained there seems to be a known issue because each time I have run my vehicle health report there is a mention of a recall and or extended warranty on the gps system. I also let her know I have brought this to their attention each time my truck has been in and they never feel it is necessary to look into it. I then spoke with a manager that said not to worry about it and to just let them check it out, but the whole situation made me feel uncomfortable. I do not believe my 35" tires have anything to do with the GPS and I feel this should be fixed under warranty. Am I wrong here?

2013 F250 Platinum 4x4 CC 6.7- Carli Commuter 2.0 suspension, 18x9 BMF Novakane, 35 12.5 R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Titan 50 gallon fuel tank

Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Nitto Trail Grappler MT 35 12.5 R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer,Red-Head Steering gear, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers, Leer Camper Shell, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher,Ford AIS, International bellowed up pipes, FrX, Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (Hutch Mod), HD4r100, 6.0 cooler, Stancor GPR, Dieselsite Max cold, Viper 3000 alarm, RBP RX-3 Nerf bars

Cosmetic upgrades: 2010 Tailgate, 2011 power folding/telescoping towing mirrors,

In the works: 2009 FX4 door panels with OEM switches, OEM backup camera and LCD rear view mirror, OEM Overhead console

Last edited by jposes; 11-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Do a search about your problem on this forum. Others have had similar problems and Ford did an update. Also have you created an account on the Ford Owner's site? There have been Sync updates also.

Search for the FordIVTteam and send them a pm about this. They are the radio/sync team that visits this site.

If you have anything plugged into the OBDII port, unplug it before attempting to run a Vehicle Health Report. I know my Edge CTS when plugged in prevents a health report from being created.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Do a search about your problem on this forum. Others have had similar problems and Ford did an update. Also have you created an account on the Ford Owner's site? There have been Sync updates also.

Search for the FordIVTteam and send them a pm about this. They are the radio/sync team that visits this site.

If you have anything plugged into the OBDII port, unplug it before attempting to run a Vehicle Health Report. I know my Edge CTS when plugged in prevents a health report from being created.
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I have never had much luck with the search feature on this forum over the years I have been on. To answer your question, yes I have an account and that is where I got the vehicle health report I made mention of in my post. I believe it says something about a warranty extension covering the APIN.

I will try to find the FordIVteam you mention.

There is nothing plugged into the OBDII port

2013 F250 Platinum 4x4 CC 6.7- Carli Commuter 2.0 suspension, 18x9 BMF Novakane, 35 12.5 R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Titan 50 gallon fuel tank

Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Nitto Trail Grappler MT 35 12.5 R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer,Red-Head Steering gear, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers, Leer Camper Shell, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher,Ford AIS, International bellowed up pipes, FrX, Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (Hutch Mod), HD4r100, 6.0 cooler, Stancor GPR, Dieselsite Max cold, Viper 3000 alarm, RBP RX-3 Nerf bars

Cosmetic upgrades: 2010 Tailgate, 2011 power folding/telescoping towing mirrors,

In the works: 2009 FX4 door panels with OEM switches, OEM backup camera and LCD rear view mirror, OEM Overhead console
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Go here and send them a message

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Profile: FordIVTteam

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:07 AM

I'm here, and thanks for the mention, Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposes View Post
I have been having an issue with my GPS not working properly. On several occasions it has lead me to a destination and then advised "You have reached your destination" when I am actually several blocks away. Generally when it does this I will notice that my position marker on the GPS is off on the on screen map. Usually off to the right for some reason. I took my truck in this morning for the issue and after I explained the problem, the girl looked my truck over and said she needed to prepare me for the possibility that it is not covered under warranty (my truck has 32K miles) and I may need to pay a $89.99 diagnostic check fee in addition to any necessary repairs. She claimed that my 35" tires were causing my issues. I told her I disagreed and that the only thing the tires would change is my speedo, which is not the issue I brought my truck in for. We went back and forth but she insisted my oversize tires were the problem. I explained that I had them put on across the street at the 4 Wheel shop that they send trucks to every day and she said that when they get them back they recalibrate them so that there is no issue. I again told her the recalibration was for the speedo not the gps. She continued to argue and told me to be prepared to pay for the diagnostics. I explained there seems to be a known issue because each time I have run my vehicle health report there is a mention of a recall and or extended warranty on the gps system. I also let her know I have brought this to their attention each time my truck has been in and they never feel it is necessary to look into it. I then spoke with a manager that said not to worry about it and to just let them check it out, but the whole situation made me feel uncomfortable. I do not believe my 35" tires have anything to do with the GPS and I feel this should be fixed under warranty. Am I wrong here?
Your dealer was correct about your over sized tires, jposes. This will cause the GPS to be off. As for the extended warranty, that coveres the MyFord Touch module (aka APIM) should you need an update or a new module. The GPS module is not covered under the MFT extended warranty. I hope this information helps!

Rebecca

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:40 PM

I love to learn things. Please tell how oversize tires affects GPS!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillippeterson View Post
I love to learn things. Please tell how oversize tires affects GPS!
It is not correct to call these "GPS" systems if tire size affects location.

Technically, they are "Navigation" systems if GPS input is only one of the factors in determining position.
The reason additional inputs might be useful is when GPS signal might be weak due to tree canopy, steep ravines and even city driving. At these times a GPS only system can lose your position or place you at the wrong location.

Each system has its own unique limitations but a Navigation system is actually a better system when functioning properly and properly calibrated.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 11-13-2015 at 03:23 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
I'm here, and thanks for the mention, Larry!

Your dealer was correct about your over sized tires, jposes. This will cause the GPS to be off. As for the extended warranty, that coveres the MyFord Touch module (aka APIM) should you need an update or a new module. The GPS module is not covered under the MFT extended warranty. I hope this information helps!

Rebecca
I call [email protected] on that. Tire size will only change the speedo. My tires are 35" and thats not much taller than stock. My GPS has me 2 blocks away from my destination and driving through houses on the screen. Pretty sad when you have to rely on your phones GPS because the one in this $70K truck wont work properly.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:55 PM

My Photos: (6)
If tire size affects that "GPS" then it's not a GPS at all. Maybe we need to do some testing so we can start a class action.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Maybe the MFT "uses" the GPS signal along with other vehicle inputs to "estimate" where you are, how fast, and how far?? WTH kind of thinking goes into that kind of system?? I mean let's create an "navigation aid" that isn't accurate. Smart....not really. We guys have hard enough time asking for directions.

Also if adding 1" in tire diameter creates such a navigation problem....there's a system problem.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to update on Monday about the dealership. They said they had to reset the system and all was well and it was covered under warranty. When I reviewed my paperwork it said BCE module reprogram so I am not sure what was actually done. I will be testing it out to see if the problem has been fixed. I also installed an update to SYNC as detailed in the directions provided on syncmyride.com that same day.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
If tire size affects that "GPS" then it's not a GPS at all. Maybe we need to do some testing so we can start a class action.
Whoa Cowboy.

As I mentioned earlier, its likely a Navigation system and these systems require occasional updates. Even a GPS-only system should receive updates.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM

I took a mare down to get bred at place I had never been. Used my Navigation in my 2011 truck. It could not find the address to even start the trip. So I switched over to my Apple iPhone. Followed the direction and ended up on private drive with no where to turn around a truck and horse trailer.. The Apple GPS told me this was as close as I could drive and I needed to walk the remaining 5 miles. Switched over to Google maps and it did get me to my destination.

And this is why I keep multiple map apps on my devices and why I frequently run more than one navigation when I drive. Nothing is perfect. Especially in rural areas.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I took a mare down to get bred at place I had never been. Used my Navigation in my 2011 truck. It could not find the address to even start the trip. So I switched over to my Apple iPhone. Followed the direction and ended up on private drive with no where to turn around a truck and horse trailer.. The Apple GPS told me this was as close as I could drive and I needed to walk the remaining 5 miles. Switched over to Google maps and it did get me to my destination.

And this is why I keep multiple map apps on my devices and why I frequently run more than one navigation when I drive. Nothing is perfect. Especially in rural areas.
Am I the only guy left who just asks for directions before I leave the house? Pen & paper.

SOLD:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 05:05 PM

Google maps will set you free. LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in