How are the accent colored bumpers hold up against winter.? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How are the accent colored bumpers hold up against winter.?

Recently started looking to buying another SuperDuty and have run into a few with the body accent colored (painted..?) bumpers vs. the typical chrome...
Just curious how these are holding up for owners... In Colorado, the DOT spreads crushed Granite and sand on the roads in Winter time... All that grit ends up blasting the paint on the front ends and windshields of vehicles, so I can' imagine a painted bumper would look decent after 1 winters worth of abuse here...

'04 F250 KR - '14 F350 Lariat -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM

My Photos: (1)
Clear vinyl shield is available in all different sizes (ScotchCal or equivalent) and that stuff does a good job for stone protection.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I had a version of that on several cars, Corvette(s), E500, CLK 55... Are the painted bumpers showing signs of chipping is really what I'm asking... If no one is responding, maybe it isn't an issue for most owners...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM

These bumpers are not painted. They are color matched plastic caps like that of molding and mirrors and on 99% of car & SUV front and rear bumpers.
Having driven cars and small SUVs as commuter vehicles for years down an average of 4 miles of dirt roads each day I can say the hold up pretty good.
A point of comparison would be that I will usually have numerous hood chips from rocks an the like before I have anything noticeable on the painted plastic bumper.
I attribute this to 2 things;
1. The plastic absorbs impacts better without acute deformations like a dent or crease that metal would have, thus nut creasing the paint to start chipping.
2. The paint becomes essentially the top layer of plastic. The paint better bonds to the plastic as it is more closely aligned to the chemical composition of the plastic bumper, where as paint relies on certain bonding agents to adhere to metal surfaces.

The plastic is a lot less likely to dent, and is more likely to return to its original position with minimal/unnoticeable deformation unlike metal.
Will it hold up as good as a chrome bumper? Eh? both require care to keep looking new(wash, wax/polish). The chrome is shinier but is susceptible to rust & pitting.

That said I have not inspected a 2017/18 close enough to ensure they haven gone to an all metal painted bumper, but I know previous models and F150s use a heavy plastic or plastic layer wrapped metal bumpers.

As for the side accent colors, I don't know why they wouldn't hold up any worse than the primary color of the vehicle. It is all applied using the same process.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedunham-2 View Post
I had a version of that on several cars, Corvette(s), E500, CLK 55... Are the painted bumpers showing signs of chipping is really what I'm asking... If no one is responding, maybe it isn't an issue for most owners...
The only reason I haven't answered is that even though I have had the truck through two winters, they are winters in Central California. My bumpers are painted Caribou Brown and don't show any wear at all, but then again we don't get snow at my elevation. We do get dust storms where I live from time to time.

2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 V8
2011 F350 SRW 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7 V8 (Sold)
2006 F450 DRW 2X4 XLT Stake Bed Crew Cab 6.0 V8 (Sold)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0 V8
2003 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8
1967 F100 Pickup 352ci V8, C6 automatic
1972 Pontiac Lemans 400ci V8, Turbo-Hydromatic 400
1964 Pontiac Catalina 389ci V8, Roto-Hydromatic 375 (Slim-Jim)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless007 View Post
These bumpers are not painted. They are color matched plastic caps like that of molding and mirrors and on 99% of car & SUV front and rear bumpers.

I actually did not know that, thanks for that info. Paint in Colorado literally gets sand blasted by road debris and it looks like crap pretty quickly. What you describe, however, seems to hold up better than paint and if protected with something like "303 Aerospace Protectant" should look decent for an extended period...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless007 View Post
Having driven cars and small SUVs as commuter vehicles for years down an average of 4 miles of dirt roads each day I can say the hold up pretty good.
A point of comparison would be that I will usually have numerous hood chips from rocks an the like before I have anything noticeable on the painted plastic bumper.
I attribute this to 2 things;
1. The plastic absorbs impacts better without acute deformations like a dent or crease that metal would have, thus nut creasing the paint to start chipping.
2. The paint becomes essentially the top layer of plastic. The paint better bonds to the plastic as it is more closely aligned to the chemical composition of the plastic bumper, where as paint relies on certain bonding agents to adhere to metal surfaces.

The plastic is a lot less likely to dent, and is more likely to return to its original position with minimal/unnoticeable deformation unlike metal.
Will it hold up as good as a chrome bumper? Eh? both require care to keep looking new(wash, wax/polish). The chrome is shinier but is susceptible to rust & pitting.

That said I have not inspected a 2017/18 close enough to ensure they haven gone to an all metal painted bumper, but I know previous models and F150s use a heavy plastic or plastic layer wrapped metal bumpers.

As for the side accent colors, I don't know why they wouldn't hold up any worse than the primary color of the vehicle. It is all applied using the same process.
The Accent color Bumpers are painted where they use to be Crome, there is no plastic coating, there is plastic covers over some areas of the bumper, maybe this is what you are referring to. but anyways the paint holds up fine just as good as the paint on any other panel of the truck.

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in