Intermittent A/C problem (NO COOL AIR) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent A/C problem (NO COOL AIR)

I have a 2011 F250 crew cab King Ranch package . It has the dual zone climate control. The last couple of months I have had intermittent cooling problems , blower works but no cool air. It may do this once a week or more and then work fine for the next three weeks. Usually when it is not working it will not work for 10 - 45 minutes on average then start cooling. If it is working it wont quit working until I have shut the truck off completely and then start back up. I can cannot get it to do this consistently enough to have the dealership diagnose the problem. They had it for a couple of days and everything checks out while they had it. They checked for codes ,Freon charge, blend boxes and everything checks good. I have the Premium Care Warranty but it doesn't do me any good if they can't diagnose the problem. So unless it goes out completely they say they can't do anything for me. When it acts up I've tried taking it to them and it will start working before I can get there. Any Idea's?

cwtex04
-------------------------------------------
2011 F250 6.7 KR crew cab FX4
Golden Bronze Metallic , Pale Adobe Two-Tone
Black interior option
Chrome Package
Supplemental heat option
LineX bed liner
Frontier Grill guard ( Line Xed Pale Adobe)
Roll N lock bed cover
Titan 50 gal. tank
Ford all weather mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtex04 View Post
...Usually when it is not working it will not work for 10 - 45 minutes on average then start cooling. If it is working it wont quit working until I have shut the truck off completely and then start back up...
Hi cwtex04,

I recommend keeping an eye on this issue to see if it starts happening during particular circumstances. Once you can replicate it regularly, make another appointment at your dealership so they can take another look. How many miles are on your truck now?

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I have a little over 73,000 miles on it . This time of the year I leave the A/C in the on position and set on 60. Nothing changes other than it will come on or it won't. If it starts off working it stays on and may work even if I start and stop a few times. On the times it doesn't come on it can take anywhere from 5 - 45 minutes before it starts cooling. Blower always works , just cools or it doesn't cool. With the weather in the 90's here it can be uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Thanks,

cwtex04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I have a little over 73,000 miles on it . This time of the year I leave the A/C in the on position and set on 60. Nothing changes other than it will come on or it won't. If it starts off working it stays on and may work even if I start and stop a few times. On the times it doesn't come on it can take anywhere from 5 - 45 minutes before it starts cooling. Blower always works , just cools or it doesn't cool. With the weather in the 90's here it can be uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Thanks,

cwtex04
Mine did this when it was new, at stop lights and slow in town driving. When going faster it would start cooling again. It turned out to be a bad fan clutch, so when the fan would not run at slow speeds the temp went up enough to make the compressor turn off to save heat generation. New fan clutch and has worked great for almost 4 yrs.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

When my truck's A/C is not cooling it doesn't matter if I'm in stop and start traffic or doing 70 down the highway. It's so intermittent I'm not sure how I can duplicate it . I guess unless it starts doing it more often than it is now I'll just have to ride it(or sweet it out) out. Hopefully it will go out before my extended warranty does. I would think if the fan clutch was acting up it would throw some kind of code they could pull up.

Thanks,

cwtex04
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
When my truck's A/C is not cooling it doesn't matter if I'm in stop and start traffic or doing 70 down the highway. It's so intermittent I'm not sure how I can duplicate it . I guess unless it starts doing it more often than it is now I'll just have to ride it(or sweet it out) out...
Shoot me a quick PM when you decide to go back to your dealer, cwtex04. I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can help cool things down for you. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Can you hear the blender door opening and closing? Thud ... thud ... thud. I live just South of you and never have my AC turned off in the summer. However, in the winter my blender door opens and shuts regularly and I hear it every time. If your blender door is sticking at times, it could explain why you get cool air at times. I also like the sticking AC compressor clutch explanation. Play with your climate controls and see if you can make some sounds. I've got an '08 and they may have quieted your HVAC blender door but then again maybe not and this could be a good test. Younger guys crawl under there and peek up to watch the motors ... but I am not sure you can see up behind your dash.

BTW ... just how cold is your air when its blowing? I think there is a pressure switch that prevents you from running your AC when its low on refrigerant to prevent you from ruining the compressor; lubricating oil is lost when you loose refrigerant. Keeps you from ruining the compressor. So, if your only making coolish air then this is another possible explanation. You could hang a thermometer on a dash vent and measure the temp to check this. Or if you have a manifold you could hook it up and see what you've got.

Ideas:

- bad AC compressor clutch or wiring to AC clutch
- low refrigerant pressure preventing AC compressor from running
- stuck blender door
- bad temp sensor inside HVAC core
- electrical gremlin in switch wiring

Lots of easy things you can do to narrow in on the problem. Best of luck. -FB
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Dealership checked Freon charge , blending doors and checked for codes . Everything checked out good. When it is not cooling right I have changed temperature setting , change vent selection and it doesn't seem to help anything. When everything is working right air temp out of dash vent is mid 40's. Sometimes when it isn't cooling like normal it seems like I'm getting partial cooling temp between 68-80 degree's. I'm not sure if there is a computer or sensor in the climate control system that's the root of the problem. I also have the supplemental heat option on my truck. I'm thinking about looking for a fuse that feeds it and pulling it to see if that could be part of the problem. That may indicate a problem in the climate control system.

Thank,

cwtex04
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 AM

Garage
Have you came across a solution? I just found your post and you are describing the same exact issue that my truck is doing. I have a 2011 F250 Lariat dual temp control and all that jazz, leather ac/heat seats. I am now starting to narrow things down to a few things. 1) the control module, 2)evaporator temp sensor, 3) compressor clutch/clutch gap.
My trucks ac when blowing good and cold will freeze me out but when it decides to have a bad day it will blow cool then cold then to no cold at all. Then I can shut the truck off and start it up later and all is fine again.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

No still doing the same thing . I haven't had time to take it back to dealership and waste another two or three days. It sometimes will go a week and not act up and then do it four or five times in a row like it did this weekend. Just like you when it works it will freeze you out. I have noticed with the dual zone that when it is working and you want to warm the temp up you have to turn it up to at least 80 or higher before the air warms up . So maybe it could be blend doors not working right.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMER_Red View Post
Have you came across a solution? I just found your post and you are describing the same exact issue that my truck is doing. I have a 2011 F250 Lariat dual temp control and all that jazz, leather ac/heat seats. I am now starting to narrow things down to a few things. 1) the control module, 2)evaporator temp sensor, 3) compressor clutch/clutch gap.
My trucks ac when blowing good and cold will freeze me out but when it decides to have a bad day it will blow cool then cold then to no cold at all. Then I can shut the truck off and start it up later and all is fine again.
Welcome to the forum, BOOMER_Red! I'd recommend making an appointment at your dealership; they'll make sure your A/C only has good days. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Garage
FordService....
I took my truck into my local Ford dealer to have them look at it and they said everything was fine and that the system was good on pressure, blowing 45 degrees. Which to them was within standards. I took my truck to a AC repair shop and they found that yes my truck was good on pressure but only had 1/4 of the Freon needed for the system and they found that the two high and low side ports were leaking at the valve. So they replaced the valves and refilled the system which got the truck blowing at 38 degrees out the vents. Yet I still have the intermittent warm are issue. I am beginning to think it could be the blend doors. My truck will blow super cold at times and others it only blows cool or even completely hot all together. then it will run like a champ for a couple/few days then it wont. which leads me to believe it would have to be something sensor like.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Sounds exactly the same as mine. Just hoping mine will stay off long enough to take it in so they can find the problem. I just have a hard time letting them keep it for a few days to try and catch it acting up. If you find out your problem before I do please post the solution.

Thanks,
cwtex04
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMER_Red View Post
FordService....
I took my truck into my local Ford dealer to have them look at it and they said everything was fine and that the system was good on pressure, blowing 45 degrees. Which to them was within standards. I took my truck to a AC repair shop and they found that yes my truck was good on pressure but only had 1/4 of the Freon needed for the system and they found that the two high and low side ports were leaking at the valve. So they replaced the valves and refilled the system which got the truck blowing at 38 degrees out the vents. Yet I still have the intermittent warm are issue...
Thanks for responding, BOOMER_Red! Could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck currently? I'd like to see what I can do to help.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Thanks for responding, BOOMER_Red! Could you give me a rough idea of how many miles are on your truck currently? I'd like to see what I can do to help.

Crystal
I currently have around 95,000 miles on the truck... I'd appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in