Intermittent A/C problem (NO COOL AIR) - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:59 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got a 2011 King Ranch F250, 87,000 miles and mine does the exact same thing described above in the original post and ones after. Really hard to pinpoint an exact scenario. I can tell you, I don't run Max A/C at ALL...and I rarely run it colder than 75 on both sides of the dual. I don't like the cold air...but it's on when my kids or passengers are riding with me. Mine started about a year ago and I say it's done it maybe 10-12 times but always returns to normal for good amounts of time. Ken

2017 F250 4x4 on order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMER_Red View Post
I currently have around 95,000 miles on the truck... I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks, BOOMER_Red! Reach out to me via private message (PM); I'll get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenval View Post
I've got a 2011 King Ranch F250, 87,000 miles and mine does the exact same thing described above in the original post and ones after. Really hard to pinpoint an exact scenario. I can tell you, I don't run Max A/C at ALL...and I rarely run it colder than 75 on both sides of the dual. I don't like the cold air...but it's on when my kids or passengers are riding with me. Mine started about a year ago and I say it's done it maybe 10-12 times but always returns to normal for good amounts of time. Ken
Hi Ken,

Have you ever mentioned this to your dealership? I'll do what I can to help you out as well.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:38 PM

Garage
Well took my truck to my local Ford dealership service center to have them look at the AC and they told me that the Evaporator Air Temp Sensor is the problem, that the sensor is telling the ac system that the air is too cold and to shut down the compressor to prevent freezing the system. To do the repair would be just shy of $1800. just to change out a $50 part and a optional $250 evaporator. Because they have to remove the dash and supposedly pull the evaporator and they highly recommend replacing the evaporator while they have everything pulled apart. I may just end up doing this all myself because I can buy the sensor for about $30-$40 and take the weekend to take the dash apart. If I do I'll try and do a write up on how I did it with maybe even a video or at least pics.
This is ridiculous, terrible design flaw on Fords part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Boomer...what's crazy about your post is....and if you go back and read mine..it that i RARELY run my a/c on what some would consider cold and I have the same issue. Is 76 driver's side and 77 passenger too cold for the system??? I don't think so. I know friends that leave their's on 68 and don't touch it for the entire summer!!! If it is the sensor...fine...but I NEVER had this issue on my 99...2002, or 2006.

Ken

2017 F250 4x4 on order
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Boomer_Red

Well I'm hoping that is what my problem is. I still have time on my extended warranty so I maybe heading back to dealership soon with this information. When I asked about a evaporator temp sensor they looked at me like I was crazy.
Good luck with your truck.

cwtex04
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Well took my truck to my local Ford dealership service center to have them look at the AC and they told me that the Evaporator Air Temp Sensor is the problem, that the sensor is telling the ac system that the air is too cold and to shut down the compressor to prevent freezing the system. To do the repair would be just shy of $1800. just to change out a $50 part and a optional $250 evaporator. Because they have to remove the dash and supposedly pull the evaporator and they highly recommend replacing the evaporator while they have everything pulled apart. I may just end up doing this all myself because I can buy the sensor for about $30-$40 and take the weekend to take the dash apart. If I do I'll try and do a write up on how I did it with maybe even a video or at least pics.
Hey BOOMER_Red,

I see you've been speaking with Crystal via PM. Have you chosen another dealership?

Quote:
Boomer...what's crazy about your post is....and if you go back and read mine..it that i RARELY run my a/c on what some would consider cold and I have the same issue. Is 76 driver's side and 77 passenger too cold for the system??? I don't think so. I know friends that leave their's on 68 and don't touch it for the entire summer!!! If it is the sensor...fine...but I NEVER had this issue on my 99...2002, or 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtex04 View Post
Well I'm hoping that is what my problem is. I still have time on my extended warranty so I maybe heading back to dealership soon with this information. When I asked about a evaporator temp sensor they looked at me like I was crazy
Hi kenval and cwtex04,

I want to check into these things further, and see if there's anything I can do on this end. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Thanks,

Todd

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

Last edited by FordService; 09-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM

Thanks Todd. I'll get you my VIN tomorrow.

Ken

2017 F250 4x4 on order
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Todd,

I'm not sure I know how to PM you. I'm headed to airport so it maybe next week before I could take truck in for service.

Thanks,
cwtex04
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 AM

Garage
Angry meh

[QUOTE=FordService;3889674]Hey BOOMER_Red,

I see you've been speaking with Crystal via PM. Have you chosen another dealership?

Rather than taking my truck to the dealership that I lost trust in I took my truck to another Ford dealer nearby and they charged me $80 to diagnose what they believe the issue is. I just have a hard time forking out $1800 on something that may or may not be the direct issue; when they are assuming that the evap temp sensor is the problem. what if its not the problem. then Im in the hole $1800 and still having to shell out more $ to get it fixed.

In my opinion Ford needs to reduce the cost for labor when it comes to items like this. In no way shape or form should it ever cost $1800 to replace a $50 part/sensor. guess I'll be without AC for quite some time as that cost is not in my budget and I just cant accept the cost of the labor to the cost of the part. Is it the fault of the consumer that the designers didn't take this into consideration? if you know that the AC would eventually need to be serviced then why not make it easier to do the service not only for the consumer who is a DIY but even for the sake of the Ford service tech and the time it absorbs.

I would be willing to tear the dash out and have the truck towed to the dealership to do the service then give it back for me to reassemble but I know that they would not go for that option.
Really disappointed with this truck and Ford and their service in my area.

Last edited by BOOMER_Red; 09-25-2015 at 09:34 AM.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

With my extended warranty it is a $100 deductible and I get a rent car. The catch is they have to be able to diagnose the problem. That has been my problem with it is them duplicating the problem so they will attempt to fix the problem. I may try another dealership and see what they say, but then I'm out money for them to try the same things the other dealership has tried. It's a vicious circle.

cwtex04

cwtex04
-------------------------------------------
2011 F250 6.7 KR crew cab FX4
Golden Bronze Metallic , Pale Adobe Two-Tone
Black interior option
Chrome Package
Supplemental heat option
LineX bed liner
Frontier Grill guard ( Line Xed Pale Adobe)
Roll N lock bed cover
Titan 50 gal. tank
Ford all weather mats
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Todd. I'll get you my VIN tomorrow.

Ken
Sounds like a plan, Ken. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Quote:
Todd,

I'm not sure I know how to PM you. I'm headed to airport so it maybe next week before I could take truck in for service.

Thanks,
cwtex04
No worries, cwtex04! Fly safely. You may send a PM my way by clicking here and selecting Contact Info.

Quote:
In my opinion Ford needs to reduce the cost for labor when it comes to items like this. In no way shape or form should it ever cost $1800 to replace a $50 part/sensor. guess I'll be without AC for quite some time as that cost is not in my budget and I just cant accept the cost of the labor to the cost of the part. Is it the fault of the consumer that the designers didn't take this into consideration? if you know that the AC would eventually need to be serviced then why not make it easier to do the service not only for the consumer who is a DIY but even for the sake of the Ford service tech and the time it absorbs.
Good afternoon BOOMER_Red,

What's the name of the second Ford Dealer you visited? I'm going to check out next steps; please send over your full name, phone number, VIN, and most up-to-date mileage.

Thanks,

Todd

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Garage
PM sent

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Update to my original topic, This problem also causes defrost not to work right. I found this out while driving in rain and the windows all fogged up because compressor wasn't kicking on . So now it is a safety issue along with a comfort problem. I also developed a coolant leak that would seep down back side off engine and bell housing. So I contacted Crystal and got help from Ford with these two items plus a kazoo sound coming from my windshield during windy conditions. I had taken truck in after I first got my truck for the windshield noise and dealer could not duplicate noise . Took truck in Tuesday morning and they found coolant leak at turbo coolant line fitting. So Wednesday evening they got that taken care of . On to problem #2 windshield noise , they say they have seen a few trucks with this problem and it will need new gasket and reseal windshield. Problem #3 intermittent A/C problem , they called yesterday and found bad evaporator temp sensor . They will have to pull dash to replace this part , so hopefully all will be repaired today or tomorrow. All will be covered under my Premium Care warranty except windshield problem. I told them if they had known about this back in 2011 when I brought it in originally for this problem it would have been covered under original warranty. Service advisor said he would talk to Service Manager about it to see what they can do. I'm hoping all three will be covered. Dealer has been great so far , not sure if it is do to Crystal's help or not but I think it is.

Thanks
cwtex04

cwtex04
-------------------------------------------
2011 F250 6.7 KR crew cab FX4
Golden Bronze Metallic , Pale Adobe Two-Tone
Black interior option
Chrome Package
Supplemental heat option
LineX bed liner
Frontier Grill guard ( Line Xed Pale Adobe)
Roll N lock bed cover
Titan 50 gal. tank
Ford all weather mats
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
...They will have to pull dash to replace this part , so hopefully all will be repaired today or tomorrow. All will be covered under my Premium Care warranty except windshield problem. I told them if they had known about this back in 2011 when I brought it in originally for this problem it would have been covered under original warranty. Service advisor said he would talk to Service Manager about it to see what they can do. I'm hoping all three will be covered. Dealer has been great so far , not sure if it is do to Crystal's help or not but I think it is...
I'm glad to hear that things are progressing, cwtex04. Come back and tell us when you bring your truck home. If there's anything else I can do, just say the word.

Crystal

FORD SERVICE

t:

f:

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Picked up truck yesterday;

1. Coolant leak at fitting on turbo fixed and covered by ESP warranty.
2. Intermittent A/C problem diagnosed as a bad evaporator sensor , this was replaced under ESP warranty. ( second time in for problem , first time they found the problem)
3. Windshield intermittent kazoo sound during windy conditions . Pulled windshield , new gasket and resealed ( second time in for problem , first time they admitted to a problem) . ESP did not cover , original warranty has expired . Ford would not cover even though first time to dealership with problem it would have been under original warranty. Dealership did agree to split cost with me.
4. Check coolant additive warning taken care of.

All four problems fixed , one week of rental car paid for under ESP warranty , my total out the door including $100 deductible was just under $300.

I'm happy and want to thank Crystal and the dealership.

cwtex04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in