Losing raditor fluid - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Losing raditor fluid

Have 2015 f350. Diesel. Losing fluid...slowly.

No leaks seen.

Blown head casket? 55000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:06 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Just because you "don't see a leak" do not think that you don't have a leak. Unless you crawled around on top of the engine and looked deep in the valley, looked up the back of the engine on both sides and inspected BOTH of the radiators and peeked at your HVAC box drain you have not looked. Coolant can be deceptive and elusive so it is helpful to know that the Motorcraft Orange coolant will leave a dry white trail. Head gasket failures generally do not occur on the 6.7L PSD. If you don't find a leak externally I suggest that your EGR cooler would be the next likely place to look. While the coolers on these engines are commonly clogged with carbon, they also generally do not leak but they have been known to! Even if your EGR cooler core has been replaced, perhaps for an emissions concern, do not assume that "new" means "you're good!" An internal leak could be the result of the rebuild process and assembly when seals and gaskets can be damaged or fasteners improperly torqued... I am just rambling on here. I'll shut up now.
larrgh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 11-17-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

It's the radiator. I suspect something cracked when I ran 'slowly' into the back end of a car going through Atlanta in rain. I hate I-75 through Atlanta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 AM
DKR

My radiator has a slow leak at the seam on the drivers side. Right now I have chosen to maintain it rather than fix it. About a gallon of fluid every 6 months is a lot cheaper than a new one.

2015 Ford Platinum F350 CC SRW LB 4X4
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My Last FR Product)
20,000 LB Reese GooseBox Hitch
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post
My radiator has a slow leak at the seam on the drivers side. Right now I have chosen to maintain it rather than fix it. About a gallon of fluid every 6 months is a lot cheaper than a new one.

Same place mine is leaking, around a quart every 3 months. 2015 F450 87,000, been there for over a year now.

2015 F450 CC DRW, Lariat Ultimate, Bronze Fire & Caribou
2012 KTM 500 XC-W
2009 INFERNO 3912 Toyhauler 43'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in