My truck is starting and running on its own - ***? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is starting and running on its own - ***?

We found my truck running yesterday morning. Both of the keys were hanging on the wall inside and haven’t been touched in a week. It has factory remote start and it is activated in the dash (because I use it). Even more surprising was that half a tank of fuel disappeared in a week while it was parked. So I’m guessing it’s starting on its own somehow. My only guess how is a guy a few houses down just bought a truck almost identical to mine. Maybe his remote is starting my truck when he uses it? I need to go talk to him and see if it will.

Has anybody ever heard of anything like this happening? Is it even possible with the security in these trucks?

2015 F350 CCSB 4x4 Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Maybe a solution is to go into your truck settings and turn off Remote Start when you plan on leaving the truck idle for more than a few days? Or at least change the settings for it to run 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes?

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Maybe a solution is to go into your truck settings and turn off Remote Start when you plan on leaving the truck idle for more than a few days? Or at least change the settings for it to run 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes?
Maybe what I originally wrote wasn't clear, but I never planned to "let the truck idle for more than a few days." The truck was parked (turned off) with no intention of starting it. Sometimes it doesn't get driven for a week or two at a time.

I disabled the remote start immediately the first time I found it running so (hopefully) this can't happen again. If this works, I don't view this as a solution, but a work-around. I want to figure out what the root cause is. I use my remote start often and shouldn't have to disable it every time I leave the truck so it doesn't start without me knowing it.

This is why I'm asking if these trucks have a history of doing this or if it's even possible the way the security system works. Is it possible they have say 100,000 transmit frequencies and the guy down the road happens to have the same one as I do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:44 AM

My Photos: (2)
I think what he was saying by "leaving the truck idle..." was not actually idling but rather leaving it parked, not used.

I'm wondering if their are multiple frequencies available that would allow your RS to be set to a different one. I would guess if it can be done, it would only be available through dealer service or someone with IDS that knows what they are doing.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
Maybe what I originally wrote wasn't clear, but I never planned to "let the truck idle for more than a few days." The truck was parked (turned off) with no intention of starting it. Sometimes it doesn't get driven for a week or two at a time
Never thought you would or meant, "leave the truck idling for days". I was only suggesting ways to avoid idling for a shorter period of time or no remote should the neighbor's remote was starting your truck.

If you have basic remote start, the range is very limited to begin with. You might have something in the house activating it.

If you have long distance remote start (antenna on windshield behind the mirror), then the range is longer. But still maybe only 1,000 feet,, most times less, closer to 750ft, but it can start without being line of sight.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think there is just a single frequency assigned to Ford. (Frequencies are in very high demand.) It is likely a one-way Simplex system where only the key fob transmits (Tx) and any Ford vehicles within range receive (Rx). Part of the initial data which is transmitted includes a code which allows it to engage your vehicle’s computer and not another Ford parked next to it. They all share the frequency but not the code.

I believe its similar to radio equipment we use and the two devices (Tx & Rx) sign off each time by randomly being assigned a new code, technical jargon is “rolling code”.

This lowers the probability you and your neighbor will share the same code and even if you did it should only occur one time.

If this is recurring then it is more likely the computer onboard your Ford is shorting out within the unit and initiating the Start sequence as if it had received a Command.

Hypothetically anyway.

Hopefully you will share with us what you discover.

Funny how the ommission of a simple 3-letter word can have. For example: “idle” or “sit idle”.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 01-15-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 12:52 PM

My Photos: (3)
One would think that wouldn't happen because every ones fob would be starting every ford around one another. What yr. truck is the guy down the street, just curious !! I would ck with ford & also talk with your neighbor just for peace of mind

2014 F-350 XLT 4x4 6.2L, SILVER, AUTO TINTED/W, BURLWOOD DASH FROM A LARIAT, FORD NAV-SYNC,AFTER MARKET DUAL BATTERY,EXTRA HEAVY DUTY ALTE, 275/75/65R18 BFG/A/T ON CAST ALUM WHLS,READY LIFT 2.5" FRONT 5" REAR,HEWLING REAR SWAYBAR, 7.5'FISHERM/M, SILVER/MT WITH BLK PINSTRIPE,new carbon fiber AIC covers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM

My Photos: (2)
How about garage door opener

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sd View Post
One would think that wouldn't happen because every ones fob would be starting every ford around one another. What yr. truck is the guy down the street, just curious !! I would ck with ford & also talk with your neighbor just for peace of mind
Please read my post above.

The system I described has just the opposite result.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 01-15-2018 at 05:14 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
How about garage door opener [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/images/TheDieselStop_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I realize you are joking but for the benefit of others—the garage door opener, even if it shared the frequency, it would lack the randomly generated code and specific instruction to tell the onboard computer to start the truck.

;-)

SOLD:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Hey, I had a 96 f250, got out of my truck at church one day, had my keys in my pocket and it started. Had to get my keys out unlock door, put keys in ignition, turn then turn off again. That was the second time. Never did it again and never had remote start. I thought it was divine intervention telling me that my truck wanted to go for a drive?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 AM

ArcticDriver is on point with the system he describes. When you hit the button on your key fob its sends a secret hand shake code to tell the truck the fob is indeed talking to it and authorized, then it sends the actual command. When you get a new key fob and program it to the truck you are essentially introducing the fob to the truck and it teaches it's 'secret handshake' code.

It is possible that your neighbors remote start is activating your truck if it has the same code, transmitted signals can do funny things given the right situation. Case in point is you can occasionally tune in to European and Russian radio stations on an AM radio if the atmospherics are right. And some low resolution radar systems use 'atmospheric and terrestrial bounce' to see well over the horizon and in extreme cases another hemisphere.
That said It is extremely unlikely that your neighbor has the same 'handshake code' as you, or that his is getting garbled just enough to start your truck. There are hundreds of thousands of codes. I also would not be surprised if they use frequency hopping tech now as well, bc i know at one time FOB code cloning was becoming prevelant to steal/gain entry to vehicles, such tech would help prevent this.
I have even seen videos of people using an RF repeater to open peoples locked vehicles in the drive way that have keyless entry. They take take the repeater next to the wall of the house and if you left your keys near an exterior wall/window it will pick up the continuous low power rf signal and the repeater will boost the signal so that the car thinks the key is nearby and unlock.

If it is simply your neighbor has the same code as you then your dealer should(if under b-b warranty)/may delete the old fobs and give you new ones with a different code set.

I think that 1 of the 3 are more likely;
1. Do you have the remote start app on your phone? Is it accidentally getting activated. (maybe kids playing with phone or jumbled in pocket?)
2. Someone else has the ford app on their phone and someone fat fingered the activation and put in your VIN number instead of the correct person's VIN#.
3. You have some issue with the ignition harness and on board computer.
ArcticDriver likes this.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6

Last edited by Relentless007; 01-16-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typos
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Relentless 007 takng the discussion up a few notches.

Interesting.

Thanks

SOLD:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless007 View Post
ArcticDriver is on point with the system he describes. When you hit the button on your key fob its sends a secret hand shake code to tell the truck the fob is indeed talking to it and authorized, then it sends the actual command. When you get a new key fob and program it to the truck you are essentially introducing the fob to the truck and it teaches it's 'secret handshake' code.

It is possible that your neighbors remote start is activating your truck if it has the same code, transmitted signals can do funny things given the right situation. Case in point is you can occasionally tune in to European and Russian radio stations on an AM radio if the atmospherics are right. And some low resolution radar systems use 'atmospheric and terrestrial bounce' to see well over the horizon and in extreme cases another hemisphere.
That said It is extremely unlikely that your neighbor has the same 'handshake code' as you, or that his is getting garbled just enough to start your truck. There are hundreds of thousands of codes. I also would not be surprised if they use frequency hopping tech now as well, bc i know at one time FOB code cloning was becoming prevelant to steal/gain entry to vehicles, such tech would help prevent this.
I have even seen videos of people using an RF repeater to open peoples locked vehicles in the drive way that have keyless entry. They take take the repeater next to the wall of the house and if you left your keys near an exterior wall/window it will pick up the continuous low power rf signal and the repeater will boost the signal so that the car thinks the key is nearby and unlock.

If it is simply your neighbor has the same code as you then your dealer should(if under b-b warranty)/may delete the old fobs and give you new ones with a different code set.

I think that 1 of the 3 are more likely;
1. Do you have the remote start app on your phone? Is it accidentally getting activated. (maybe kids playing with phone or jumbled in pocket?)
2. Someone else has the ford app on their phone and someone fat fingered the activation and put in your VIN number instead of the correct person's VIN#.
3. You have some issue with the ignition harness and on board computer.
Great reply, thank you.
1. I do not have the remote start app on my phone, nor do I have the optional hardware needed to use it.
2. Very possible. There are lots of Fords in the neighborhood - Edge, Explorer, a couple F150 that I can think of.
3. I sure hope not. If so, time to trade it in early than I expected.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
Great reply, thank you.
1. I do not have the remote start app on my phone, nor do I have the optional hardware needed to use it.
2. Very possible. There are lots of Fords in the neighborhood - Edge, Explorer, a couple F150 that I can think of.
3. I sure hope not. If so, time to trade it in early than I expected.
App will NOT start your truck if you do not have the cellphone module (RMSU) installed along with the VSS (Perimeter Alarm) installed. Both are required for cellphone app to start the truck and the subscription paid ($50/yr)

It is a known fact that some cellphone chargers will upset the TMPS and give false warnings. Might be possible you have another item sending random signals that is interpreted as remote start signal.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in