The Diesel Stop banner

Mysterious Electrical Problem - 2015 SD

923 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mustanglee 
#1 ·
I have a mysterious electrical problem. About every three months the batteries go completely dead. I am pretty religious about putting my C-Tek smart charger on the batteries every two weeks to keep the batteries charged. Twice now the batteries have gone dead between charging sessions. I just put the charger on and sat in the truck for the first few minutes. The left turn signal indicator started flashing, the monitor started flashing a message that Sync was performing routine maintenance, and there was an occasional thumping sound behind the left side of the dash like something was trying to reset. I went outside and the left taillight on both the truck and the camper were flickering dimly. This is all happening with the key off. If I turn the key on, the chaos stops. The truck is used only to haul my Lance camper, so it sits most of the time. The only things on the camper that are connected to the truck battery are the taillights and turn signals. I would think that with the key off there would not be power going to the camper lights. I have charged the batteries and had them tested and they test good.

I don't even know where to start. Any body got any ideas???? I don't want to get stuck camping in the middle of nowhere!

#4 · (Edited)
After three days of charging with my C-Tek smart charger, one battery still is red in the battery indicator and the other one shows nothing - not green or red. So I'm guessing that the batteries are shot. I will take it to my favorite shop - PerformanceWise and get the batteries tested and/or replaced and have them do the BCM self check. I will post the results.

#5 ·
Replacing bad batteries is a good place to start. If your problems continue after doing so a Ford IDS diagnostic tool is recommended to run self tests on the BCM, monitor parameters, take control of some outputs, program and configure the module and of course, clear codes. I am sure there are non-OEM scanners that will do what you need so you do not necessarily need to go to a ford dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.