Mysterious Electrical Problem - 2015 SD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mysterious Electrical Problem - 2015 SD

I have a mysterious electrical problem. About every three months the batteries go completely dead. I am pretty religious about putting my C-Tek smart charger on the batteries every two weeks to keep the batteries charged. Twice now the batteries have gone dead between charging sessions. I just put the charger on and sat in the truck for the first few minutes. The left turn signal indicator started flashing, the monitor started flashing a message that Sync was performing routine maintenance, and there was an occasional thumping sound behind the left side of the dash like something was trying to reset. I went outside and the left taillight on both the truck and the camper were flickering dimly. This is all happening with the key off. If I turn the key on, the chaos stops. The truck is used only to haul my Lance camper, so it sits most of the time. The only things on the camper that are connected to the truck battery are the taillights and turn signals. I would think that with the key off there would not be power going to the camper lights. I have charged the batteries and had them tested and they test good.

I don't even know where to start. Any body got any ideas???? I don't want to get stuck camping in the middle of nowhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I would start with a self test on the Body Control Module (BCM)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

How do I do that? Are there instructions somewhere or do I need to bring it to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

After three days of charging with my C-Tek smart charger, one battery still is red in the battery indicator and the other one shows nothing - not green or red. So I'm guessing that the batteries are shot. I will take it to my favorite shop - PerformanceWise and get the batteries tested and/or replaced and have them do the BCM self check. I will post the results.

Last edited by Mustanglee; 06-08-2019 at 07:00 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Replacing bad batteries is a good place to start. If your problems continue after doing so a Ford IDS diagnostic tool is recommended to run self tests on the BCM, monitor parameters, take control of some outputs, program and configure the module and of course, clear codes. I am sure there are non-OEM scanners that will do what you need so you do not necessarily need to go to a ford dealer.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM

You can do the BCM scan from the information center. I believe its in the vehicle part Just have to scroll through the menu its in there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Taking it to PerformanceWise today. They said they can do the BCM test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in