Peak--Blue Def - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

10Likes
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By jaso
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 1 Post By lincster
  • 1 Post By larrgh
  • 1 Post By jaso
  • 1 Post By GregWork
  • 1 Post By HeavyAssault
  • 2 Post By lincster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Peak--Blue Def

this stuff considered good stuff or no?

2016 F350 FX4 CC Lariat pkg-diesel 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Considering how fluids are an easy way to deny warranty coverage why not use OEM MC? Just keep the receipts just in case.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

yep,..i knew that would be said....well.//blue def,is 10 min away,..dealer is 40..no big deal,..just saying.....if PBD is just as good,i'll run it,as I have been...as many issues as I have been reading here,..was just thinking about the warrany as u mentioned,.. maybe I should just go get the dealer stuff...

2016 F350 FX4 CC Lariat pkg-diesel 6.7

Last edited by jwbboat; 08-09-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:02 AM

No sweat. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Most of them are API rated so it should be good to go.
jwbboat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Considering how fluids are an easy way to deny warranty coverage why not use OEM MC? Just keep the receipts just in case.
This is false in this context. Ford cannot deny warranty claims for not using OEM fluids. The manual says use an API certified DEF and that is the requirement. Peak Blue is an API certified DEF and that meets the manufacturer's requirements.

If you want to spend the extra money on Motorcraft DEF for your own peace of mind, do it, but let's not spread FUD.
jwbboat likes this.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 AM

I guess I should clarify this a but more. Ford can and will deny warranty due on any fluids that THEY consider contaminated or not within their requirements. (See the recent CK4 situation we are in with motor oils)

Sure Peak DEF is API, BUT Ford can say your situation is due to contaminated fluid, deny your claim easily. Then you are left to fight with Peak over who pays the bill. Passing the buck 101, but totally legit and within the right of Ford to assert it's not their fault or their products fault.

Ford has a warranty now that covers 2yrs/unlimited miles for parts and service.....that's where your extra money goes. So if you buy MC DEF at a dealer or get the dealership to service the DEF they can't deny warranty coverage especially if they did the service. Just keep the receipts for anything you do at the dealer.

I'm not saying you MUST use OEM MC branded products and fluids but when you have a problem it's a lot easier to get fixed.
ArcticDriver likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbboat View Post
yep,..i knew that would be said....well.//blue def,is 10 min away,..dealer is 40..no big deal,..just saying.....if PBD is just as good,i'll run it,as I have been...as many issues as I have been reading here,..was just thinking about the warrany as u mentioned,.. maybe I should just go get the dealer stuff...

Amazon ships anywhere......
jwbboat likes this.

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Wal Mart sells Blue DEF and Their own brand of DEF. The Wal Mart DEF is approx $7.88 for 2.5 gallon. I have used it often and have no problems. It also comes with a new spout with each container.
jwbboat likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Wal Mart sells Blue DEF and Their own brand of DEF. The Wal Mart DEF is approx $7.88 for 2.5 gallon. I have used it often and have no problems. It also comes with a new spout with each container.
Same here. No issues.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Ford can and will deny warranty due on any fluids that THEY consider contaminated or not within their requirements. (See the recent CK4 situation we are in with motor oils)
This is not the same thing. In the CK-4 situation Ford is playing the role of the API. Ford publishes the standards (such as WSS-M2C171E) and the manual says that you must use an oil that meets those standards. Ford revoked the certification of CK-4. This would be similar to if the API came out and revoked their certification of Peak Blue. But in neither case can those revocations be applied retroactively.

If a problem was caused by Peak Blue's DEF while it is API certified it is still covered by your warranty because the manual says that API certified DEF is the requirement. Ford can, of course, change those requirements or create their own standard but they must clearly issue that statement to all owners (likely in the form of an amendment to the manual) and cannot retroactively change the rules. In other words, if they find that Peak Blue is causing a problem they can tell everyone to stop using it but cannot deny claims for problems caused before they issued a statement.

Your warranty and the published manuals are legal documents. This system is setup specifically to protect the rights of consumers.
jwbboat likes this.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
Same here. No issues.
I used one jug of Peak DEF and have only used SuperTech (Walmart) since (no issues with Peak, but costs much more than Supertech). API certified, easy to obtain, good rotation of stock, and $7.88 for 2.5 gallons. Zero issues, but I did buy the MC nozzle kit on eBay for $7.00. It works much better than the nozzles that come with the SuperTech jugs.

2015 Tuxedo Black F-250 Platinum (FX4)

Currently running Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (CJ-4) oil and CQ Blue 84151 (Clarcor) oil filter

All Stock except for a few accessories:
- Rhino Spray-In Bedliner
- Ford Splashguard/Mudflaps
- Husky Rear Wheelwell Liners
- Bull Ring retractable tie downs
- Leer 700 Bed Cap
- Mag-Hytec Rear Axle Cover
- Mag-Hytec Front Axle Cover
- OEM Rear Sway Bar
- All interior & exterior LEDs including bed
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Ford doesn't make diesel fuel.

Until they do, the 'must use only OEM' consumables doesn't hold water.

I have used Peak products for decades, and my family has owned or managed auto parts stores for 50+ yrs. We've not experienced any defective products from them.

The FTC says that Ford must prove that the non Ford part caused the damage. As such you would then have written proof to go back on the aftermarket supplier. (see world-wide-web dot consumer dot ftc dot gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance)

I use Peak Blue DEF and don't give it a second thought.
jwbboat likes this.

2003 Toyota 4Runner Ltd RWD V8
2004 Lexus GX470
2012 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWork View Post
Ford doesn't make diesel fuel.

Until they do, the 'must use only OEM' consumables doesn't hold water.

I have used Peak products for decades, and my family has owned or managed auto parts stores for 50+ yrs. We've not experienced any defective products from them.

The FTC says that Ford must prove that the non Ford part caused the damage. As such you would then have written proof to go back on the aftermarket supplier. (see world-wide-web dot consumer dot ftc dot gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance)

I use Peak Blue DEF and don't give it a second thought.
My point exactly. Ford will still make you pony up for the repairs if aftermarket items fail or cause to fail components of your vehicle, you then have to battle with the aftermarket supplier to recoup your expenses. Some guys have been lucky to get fuel system failures covered by the fuel stations insurance or even their own insurance.

Using OEM DEF and having the receipts by-passes this "problem". No one has said you MUST use OEM fluids, it's just a smarter way to prevent the good ol' "it's not our failure, not our money to fix" excuse from Ford. Hence Ford CAN and HAS denied warranty coverage due to contaminated fluids used in trucks. If DEF thru Ford was $50 a gallon, sure save the cash and buy out in town. The reality is the cost difference is pretty minimal between OEM products and aftermarket fluids.
jwbboat likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Locally, I stop at a local high volume truck stop and fill with DEF there. The last jug I purchased from Ford was $14.00 per 2 gallon container at the local Ford Dealership (it may be 2.5 gallons, I really don't remember, I just remember my mouth dropping at the 14.00 price); 2.77 per gallon at the truck stop. When last in Albuquerque I paid what I consider to be an exorbitant price for 5 gallons at that Ford Dealership (As I recall $24.00 for DEF, $8.00 to put it in). I wasn't aware of any nearby truck stops that had DEF at the pumps.

I have not tried Peak or Walmart brand as yet on my 2017 but I'd have no qualms if I ever need to.

2017 F450 DRW 4X4 Platinum - Pearl While - what can I say, just can't stop trading up.
2015 F450 DRW 4X4 King Ranch - way more than I need but couldn't pass up the deal
2012 F350 DRW 4X4
2011 F350 DRW 4X2 (discovered I really used the 4-wheel drive more than I remembered.)

Last edited by skypilot; 08-14-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 PM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
$5/$8/$10/$14 every 5000 miles...... In the grand scheme of what it costs to drive these 8000lb trucks..... who cares.
Phillippeterson and jwbboat like this.

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in