Power Mirrors stopped folding!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 General Questions General questions related to 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Mirrors stopped folding!!

On Sunday my mirrors stopped folding, on Monday I go Hixson Ford in Alexandria, LA and they take a few pictures and blow smoke up my butt. Today they call and say your mirrors are dirty, we need you to come back(45 minutes away) and stay half of the morning again so we can clean your mirrors and take more pictues. The service guy said its probably the motor, but without clean mirrors, Ford will claim neglect and deny the claim. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not mad, yet, but will be if they keep up with the BS!

2012 SRW F350 Lariat FX4

2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM

That sucks bro.

I would be interested to know how much one of these side view mirror units would cost; if FMC doesn't cover it. If they are like Toyota, you must purchase the entire unit, not just glass or motor or housing.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM

AFAIK there is no maintenance on the mirrors. If there is no maintenance, there can be no neglect. I'd recommend another dealer.

Did both mirrors stop working simultaineously? If so, the fault lies with something common between the two, perhaps the switch itself. There was just a thread here recently about rain water that could drip onto the controls on a rainy day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 F-350 Lariat 6.7 CC DRW 4x4
INTERIOR PKG | CHROME PKG | FX4 PKG | CAMPER PKG
36' Carriage Cameo 5th Wheel
United States Navy Veteran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Dirty mirrors stopping them from working really? What do they think you did shovel mud and put it all over. Some things dealerships say..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 6.7 KR CCSB
BMF|Toyo|Rigid|Amp|Recon|
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Thats the crazy thing....the truck stays under my carport unless its towing my toys around or at work. The rest of the time, I'm with the wife in her car. The truck is not filthy dirty, it is scared of mud. It does have lots of dead bugs splattered on it(work nights, it happens). I hope they will make this right...

2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 AM

if you fold the mirrors in and out a few times in a row they will stop working for a few minutes, then they will come back to normal operation, from what you state this is probably not the issue your having

2015 KR Dually CC 4X4 Bronze Fire HC
2011 KR Dually CC 4X4 Royal Red
2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4X4 ,White
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

The driver side wont move at all, it makes a click click click noise, the passenger side moves about half way and then click click click

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Seems funny that both started making a mechanical noise, which tells me that it isn’t an electrical problem. I don’t have my truck or manual with me, but I think that your mirrors are out of sync and have to be re-synchronizing for some reason, most likely the dealer were moving them manually.
In the owner’s manual it tells you how to re-sync them. I can’t assume that both mirrors would quit working at the same time mechanically? One mirror might not work after re-synchronizing, but not both.
I don’t believe the dirty mirror thing, I have a 4X4, and you think they don’t get dirty. Time for a new dealer. Also the mirrors are in the $800 range WOW.

F350 CC 4X4 Lariat SRW, Black.
Ordered Dec 2012 - Built Jan 11th 2013 - Picked up Jan 31, 2013.

Ford Edge
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012

F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.

First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

re-sync? Sounds like a plan, I"ll try that after I get off shift tonight. Still gonna try getting it fixed via FORD, but I'm gonna try that tonight....

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM

I had a little piece of cloth coming out of my power fold mirror on my 2011 F-250, so it worried me that it might be a sign of a future issue, water getting in there whatever, although they work fine so far, the dealer told me it was just some "packing" they called it coming out and that it was normal, sounds to me like bs, but since they still work they could not do anything else about it, just cut off the piece that was coming out of them where the motor is, and sent me on my way.

Seems like the story throughout all FORD dealerships is that FO MO CO is giving the dealers a very hard time about warranty repairs/payments, and any little thing like that has to be documented with pictures and approved by FORD before the dealer gets paid or the work gets done, therefore the dealer passes on the hard time or in some cases BS onto us the customer. This is where other truck manufacturers are quickly surpasing FORD, its WAY, WAY easier getting satisfactory warranty service from other manufacturers then FORD, FORD is becoming a huge PITA almost to the point to sway you from even bothering to come into the dealership for any warranty work at all.

Just to give you an example I could not even get my FX4 Rancho shocks replaced at FOUR different dealerships, even though they were completely BAD, they said at the dealer if they can't take a picture of it showing them physically leaking they won't get a warranty approval, this is BS.

How do you take a picture of the mirror NOT working? You would have to make a video showing you pressing the button and at the same time have the mirror in the video frame, doable, but what happened to just having a tech at the dealer verify the problem and fix it.

I've spent a lot of time attempting to get my vehicle serviced at various FORD dealerships and can speak from extensive experience, and it is not a good one to say the least.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

ok, the re-sync thing did not completely work, my passenger side mirror works, but driver side is still doing the same click click click....Off to FORD on Monday

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
Seems funny that both started making a mechanical noise, which tells me that it isnít an electrical problem. I donít have my truck or manual with me, but I think that your mirrors are out of sync and have to be re-synchronizing for some reason, most likely the dealer were moving them manually.
In the ownerís manual it tells you how to re-sync them. I canít assume that both mirrors would quit working at the same time mechanically? One mirror might not work after re-synchronizing, but not both.
I donít believe the dirty mirror thing, I have a 4X4, and you think they donít get dirty. Time for a new dealer. Also the mirrors are in the $800 range WOW.
I broke my drivers side mirror and the mirror alone cost $1100, plus installation.

2011, F-350,DRW,LWB,4X4,CC
6.7.LS 3:73,Lariat,NAV
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFordBronco View Post
ok, the re-sync thing did not completely work, my passenger side mirror works, but driver side is still doing the same click click click....Off to FORD on Monday
Iím no expert. I donít understand your whole problem from the keyboard, but at first your problem must have been electrical because the mirrors are not connected mechanically together. The mirrorís motors are electrically protected so that you donít hurt the motors. The electrical system should reset around 3 minutes with the truck running and up to 10 minutes when the vehicle is off.

When you tried to re-syncing the mirrors, did you pull them out? I believe that you have to start re-syncing them from the folded (in) position. This way the system starts from a known position. The clicking noise on the driverís mirror tell me that either the mirror wasnít in the known (folded position) when you tried re-syncing or the mechanical linkage in the mirror is broken.
I believe that your system shut down electrically for some reason and donít know if you unfolded them manually to drive to the dealer (this wouldíve put them out of sync)?
Either way, the guys at work always manually move the mirrors on our Super Dutyís at work and some forget that some are powered, and they just re-sync them. I would know if I would have to pay. I have paid $800 for them to be replaced when someone back into a garage and they donít fold towards the front of the truck well. They are cheaper online.

Anyways with my way of thinking, the mirrors are protected mechanically and electrically and if you havenít physically damaged the mirror, I donít know why they have to take pictures and should not be giving you the run around. And repair or replace under warranty. If it was the motor, I wouldnít think itís the motor, what do they think is making the noise?

Try folding both mirrors manually in and re-syncing. Iím going to try on a work vehicle on Monday (Not my own, LOL), Iím sure that they make a clicking noise when you try to re-sync from the wrong position.

Keep us updatedÖ.Good Luck!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

will do....

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFordBronco View Post
On Sunday my mirrors stopped folding, on Monday I go Hixson Ford in Alexandria, LA and they take a few pictures and blow smoke up my butt...
Hi JFordBronco.

Let me know what your dealer says about your mirrors. I am more than happy to step in, if necessary, and see what can be done from my end.

Ashley

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in